adding Ryans packs making the final product with nLite

SilverArrow

Hello, I have windows xp2 with sp3 slipstreamed using this method. I copied my windows sp2 disc to a folder c:\xp3 and then extracted the sp3 service pack files into a separate folder, then I used the update.exe /integrate:c:\xp3 method and then I made a bootable cd. I did this to create a windows xp with sp3 disc to use as a furture starting base. Then I hope to use this sp3 base for all furture updates.

Now I would like to add these and use nlite to remove stuff, add my tweaks and make the Iso file, but I’m not sure of the exact procedure. Should I do the following: -

1. Use Ryan integrator 1.6.7z and put RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.3.7z on the (Choose An Update Pack) line.

2. Click integrate, also should I tick the optimize system files box?

3. Use Ryan integrator 1.6.7z and put Stimpy IE8-ADDON-ENU-V1.0.2.7Z on the (Choose An Update Pack) line or

(Choose Addon Pack(s)) line? This addon is supposed to integrated.

4. Click integrate, also should I tick the optimize system files box?

5. Use Ryan integrator 1.6.7z and put DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.4.7z on the (Choose An Update Pack) line or

(Choose Addon Pack(s)) line?

6. Use Nlite 1.4.9.1 to remove stuff, add my tweaks and make the Iso file.

Note: I think that I’m supposed to add the packs one at a time especially with this one RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.3.7z instead of all in one go.

Thanks, as this will be my first time in using Ryans addon packs with nlite.

Edited by SilverArrow

SilverArrow, I am not familiar with the -S switch. What does it do, what are you doing, and what is your reference to i386\Update?

I suggest you decide what tools you are going to use, then stick with that set. NLite can do everything for you and altering your source before you run nLite can only lead to grief. RyanVM update packs can be placed in the nLite hot fix area. Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Ryan’s website stipulated that you should use the ryanvm integrator tool for his update pack RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.3.7z, and that only one update should be added at a time. But If I can use nlite to do it all in one go, then that’s great. I just wanted to know how you more experienced guys were doing it as I never used ryan packs before and was wondering on the order to slipstream the packs.

Yes you can integrate Ryan's pack with nLite to the corresponding source as is. You could also integrate SP3 through nLite but now you've integrated it to your source, it should be ok as well.

Hi Ponch,

I usually create a slipstreamed version using the this method described in the link as it has been extremely reliable and then I create a bootable disc, in this case winxp_sp3. This will then be use as my source for all future installs with nothing added except for sp3 and nothing taken out. This method saves a lot of time as sp3 has over 1000 updates.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

This part is pretty well taken care of, it’s the rest of the add-ons that I’m not sure of how to go about. On Ryan’s site he strongly recommends using his Ryan integrator for RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.3.7z, for ie8 either nlite or ryans, for DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.4.7z I’m not sure. Also the order is important sp3 already done, then RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.3.7z pack. I think ie8 next , then DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.4.7z. I was hoping that other who have done this will be able to shed some light as I’m a newbie when it comes to ryans stuff.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your help and advice folks.

Ok, I went ahead and added the update pack and the add-ons together in one go using Ryan’s integrator and then I saved it as windows xp sp3 plus. Then I used nlite to customize the final product and make an iso. Everything seems to be working, as my add-ons really didn’t require any particular order. :)

u could of saved all your problems by running a fresh source in nlite and intergrating sp3 through that and adding all the hotfixes and addons without any need for Ryan integrator

and it doesnt take very long to intergrate sp3 each time u create a new copy in nlite and know there will be no problems

and it doesnt take very long to intergrate sp3 each time u create a new copy in nlite and know there will be no problems

It takes even less time to integrate it once and for good as he did. And yes, there are side effects loading the ini file before SP3 is integrated. Some pre-SP3 components are ignored and have to be re selected.

SilverArrow, the reason why RyanVM strongly recommends using his integrator is that he is understandably not supposed to give support for other tools (especially now that nLite's developpement is on pause). There have been known glitches with previous versions of both the packs nLite but once it's fixed, it is ok to do it with nLite.

Hi Ponch and b-man, that’s why I used the latest version of Ryan’s integrator. Nlite sometimes work with Ryan’s update and other times don’t according to users on the forums, so I didn’t want to take any chances and decided to do it like I did. I made a slipstreamed windows xp sp3 disc first without using Ryan or Nlite to integrate and burned the disc. I call this my windows xp sp3. So now I use this with what ever new addons and updates with Ryans integrator and save the result as windows xp sp3 plus without removing anything. I then make a copy of windows xp sp3 plus on my hd. Now use nlite to make a customise version windows. If I don’t like the results with nlite, I can start with a fresh copy of windows xp sp3 plus disc. This method may look a little long but it can save a person a lot of time redoing this over and over. On a fast computer this may not matter much, but on a slower computer this redundancy can add a lot of unnecessary overhead time.

Edited by SilverArrow