Integration Issue with KB960680-v2

BACKGROUND:

1. Most Windows XP updates that are post-service pack 2 support integration into a Windows XP source, via the /INTEGRATE command-line switch. Usually, Integration unpacks the Windows update to a temporary folder, copies its Security Catalog (.cat) file to the I386\SVCPACK folder of the Windows XP source, and add the correct entries to the I386\svcpack.inf file that are required for installing the update unattended during Windows XP Setup.
  2. During Windows XP Setup, all integrated Windows updates are installed at the T-13 phase, when svcpack.inf is processed. Immediately afterward, all entries inside of cmdlines.txt are executed at the T-12 phase.
  3. During both the T-13 and T-12 phases of Windows XP Setup, there is no user logged into Windows; instead, Windows Setup uses the Default User's profile as the current user. Any registry settings applied to the HKCU hive during these two Windows Setup phases actually get applied to the Default User's NTUSER.dat file which stores its HKCU hive. However, these settings should get copied to the each local user account profile, as that user first logs into Windows XP. At a local user account's first login, Windows copies the Default User's entire profile folder to the new local user account's user profile folder, which includes the ntuser.dat file, which stores the HKCU hive for the local user account.
  4. KB960680-v2 is an update that apparently supports the /INTEGRATE switch; and, as such, should install correctly during T-13, from svcpack.inf. The svckpack.inf entries added for this Windows update after using /INTEGRATE on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 source are shown below.
    [Version] BuildNumber=2600
    MinorVersion=1
    MajorVersion=5
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[SetupData]
    CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
    KB960680-v2.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
    KB960680-v2.exe /q /n /z /b:SP3QFE

[CatalogHeader]

5. When Windows XP is installed and running, the Default User account's HKCU registry hive can be loaded within RegEdit.exe by doing the following:

1. Execute RegEdit.exe from Start Menu - Run.
    2. Select the HKEY_USERS hive.
    3. From the File menu, select Load Hive.
    4. Enter the path C:\Documents And Settings\Default Users\ntuser.dat, and Click the OK button.
    5. When prompted, for a Key Name, type DefUser and click the OK button. You should now be able to now inspect (or change) registry settings under HKEY_USERS\DefUser key, which is the Default User's HKCU hive.

NOTE: The hive must always be manually unloaded by doing the following:
  2. Select the HKEY_USERS\DefUser Key.
  3. From the File menu, select Unload Hive.

ISSUE:

After installing Windows XP with KB960680-v2 integrated into svcpack.inf, when a local user account first logs in, none of the registry settings that that were imported into the Default User's HKCU hive from cmdlines.txt will take effect in the logged-in user's profile. Furthermore, you will be unable to load the Default User's registry hive (ntuser.dat file) in RegEdit.exe. The key will be created (as described above), but no subkeys or values will appear under it. It seems like the NTUser.dat file is locked or corrupt.

STEPS TO RECREATE THE ISSUE:

1. Integrate a factory Windows XP CD with Service Pack 3 and the KB960680-v2 windows update, and no other software installations of any kind.
  2. As the only other customization, from cmdlines.txt add a script or entry that will import a .reg file that customizes a simple application, such as changing the Font used in Notepad from the default of Lucida Console to Courier New. The required .reg files entries are shown below.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad]
    "lfFaceName"="Courier New"
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

3. Install the integrated Windows CD.
  4. Let Windows Setup complete and login as the local Administrative user.
  5. Run Notepad.exe from Start Menu - Run.
  6. Inspect the Font used in Notepad.exe.
    ISSUE: The Notepad font should be the same as set inside the .reg file imported during Windows Setup from cmdlines.txt. It is not.
  7. Attempt to load the Default User HKCU hive in RegEdit.exe.
ISSUE: The HKEY_USERS\DefUser subkey appears, but with no subkeys or registry settings listed under it.

I should note I'm installing Windows XP using English-us locale. Also, I have not yet attempted to delete the registry key discussed in the Known issue for this update section of the KB article (link below) from the Default User profile during T-12.
KB960680: An update is available to update the Slovak koruna currency symbol (Sk) to the Euro currency symbol (€) and to update the Turkish currency symbol from Yeni Türk Lirası (YTL) to Türk Lirası (TL)
Q: Has anyone else even seen this issue?
I'm thinking if deleting the key doesn't work, just to skip installing the update and hiding it in Microsoft Update. Execute RegEdit.exe from Start Menu - Run.
Select the HKEY_USERS hive.
From the File menu, select Load Hive.
Enter the path C:\Documents And Settings\Default Users\ntuser.dat, and Click the OK button.
When prompted, for a Key Name, type DefUser and click the OK button. You should now be able to now inspect (or change) registry settings under HKEY_USERS\DefUser key, which is the Default User's HKCU hive.
Edited by DarkShadows

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts on this, and I am prepared to be wrong here:

1. Does the /INTEGRATE option really work for KB960680-v2?

Many other updates have broken /INTEGRATE functionality so I would not be surprised to see it was broken here also. If you do a clean OS install and then install KB960680-v2 does it work correctly?

2. Are you looking in HKEY_USERS\.Default ?

If so then that is not the Default Users Hive. See here for more information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...02/1786493.aspx

Kind Regards

Simon

1. The /INTEGRATE function works with KB960680-v2 in that: the entries I noted above are correctly added to svcpack.inf and the .cat and .exe files are correctly copied to the XPCD\I386\SVCPACK folder. And while I did not test installing the KB960680-v2 update after installing Windows XP first, the integrated KB960680-v2 update installs just fine during Windows Setup—installation is not the issue. The issue is that after the integrated update is installed, the Default User's registry hive is somehow fubared and will not get copied to each new user local account, during that account's first login. In fact, installing the KB960680-v2 update after Windows XP is already installed and running will have no bearing on the issue at all; because at that point, a local user account (not the Default User) is logged in. And there will never be an occasion where Windows XP will copy a local user account's HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive (ntuser.dat file) to another local user account.
  2. If you read my post above, I clearly am not talking about the HKEY_Users\.Default registry key. This should have been quite evident since I provided step-by-step documentation on how to correctly load the Default User's HKCU registry hive.

Edited by DarkShadows

Sorry for nit-picking here, but i just wanted to add to your description of the /integrate switch, that it will also actually slipstream the updated binaries into the install-source.

Not that it has anything to do with your issue of course...

Sorry for the interuption, mate :)

• 1 year later...

STEPS TO RECREATE THE ISSUE:

1. Integrate a factory Windows XP CD with Service Pack 3 and the KB960680-v2 windows update, and no other software installations of any kind.
  2. As the only other customization, from cmdlines.txt add a script or entry that will import a .reg file that customizes a simple application, such as changing the Font used in Notepad from the default of Lucida Console to Courier New. The required .reg files entries are shown below.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad]
    "lfFaceName"="Courier New"

3. Install the integrated Windows CD.
  4. Let Windows Setup complete and login as the local Administrative user.
  5. Run Notepad.exe from Start Menu - Run.
  6. Inspect the Font used in Notepad.exe.
    ISSUE: The Notepad font should be the same as set inside the .reg file imported during Windows Setup from cmdlines.txt. It is not.
  7. Attempt to load the Default User HKCU hive in RegEdit.exe.

2. Select the HKEY_USERS hive.
    3. From the File menu, select Load Hive.
    4. Enter the path C:\Documents And Settings\Default Users\ntuser.dat, and Click the OK button.
    5. When prompted, for a Key Name, type DefUser and click the OK button. You should now be able to now inspect (or change) registry settings under HKEY_USERS\DefUser key, which is the Default User's HKCU hive.
ISSUE: The HKEY_USERS\DefUser subkey appears, but with no subkeys or registry settings listed under it.

I should note I'm installing Windows XP using English-us locale. Also, I have not yet attempted to delete the registry key discussed in the Known issue for this update section of the KB article (link below) from the Default User profile during T-12.
KB960680: An update is available to update the Slovak koruna currency symbol (Sk) to the Euro currency symbol (€) and to update the Turkish currency symbol from Yeni Türk Lirası (YTL) to Türk Lirası (TL)
Q: Has anyone else even seen this issue?
I'm thinking if deleting the key doesn't work, just to skip installing the update and hiding it in Microsoft Update.

I have the same issue, Windows XP Service Pack 3:
  1. When trying to load hive C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ntuser.dat in Regedit with File->Load Hive..., I get no error, but the loaded hive shows no branches and no values.
  2. When a new local user profile is created, the user does not get the defaults that were selected in WINNT.SIF (e.g. I do not get the proper keyboard layouts). I guess it is related to the issue above.
  3. I applied tweaks at T-13. None of the tweaks applied at T-13 make it into the new user profile.

Instead of using the /integrate switch, I also tried to place the file WindowsXP-KB960680-v2-x86-ENU.exe into i386\svcpack folder and add this command to svcpack.inf section [setupHotfixesToRun]: "WindowsXP-KB960680-v2-x86-ENU.exe /q /z". Same result. So, it looks like this update should not be slipstreamed nor installed during T-13.