popping up all over

Hi I have turned all pop up blockers on to prevent them but I still keep getting them.I use firefox and everytime i go online I get internet explorer pop ups.Its slowing down my loading of pages and driving me mad!!! Can anyone suggest anything please????:)..........It's just done it again!!!I'm a bit unsure of certain removal tools available as I dont want to do any more damage!!

Edited by whyfronts?

FWIW, these may not be Internet Explorer messages. Some "bad" websites will use Windows Messaging Service to throw pop-ups at you saying "Your are infected, run our krap AV Software", which is a lie.

Go to

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administration->Computer Management

then select Services, and Disable Windows Messaging.

Please note, there are other ways (I think it uses a special Port? and can be blocked via Firewall?), but it's an unnecessary service unless you want to send messages between local PC's (e.g. several hooked up on a LAN).

Otherwise, search on ONLINE VIRUS SCAN via Google and pick a well-known one. Also, find MalwareBytes, download it and run it. Independent pop-ups like that are an indication of either Windows Messageing stuff or an actual Virus/Trojan. Get Spybot as well.

HTH

Edited by submix8c

OK... I also remember these darn things on mine (with Messaging disabled). MySpace had some "redirect" Adverts popping up (occasionally). Definitely DO NOT click on them. If you get redirected (inadvertantly when trying to Exit the msg), EXIT the IExplorer immediately before they hose you (usually it's a "sucker bet download" after "fake scan").

Suggest (may help..) get CCleaner (google it) and run it to clean all Cache out. It helped me until I got "caught" again. And definitely install SpyBot and add the HOSTS file blocker stuff (you'll see the options). This will sometimes help. I also (once I find the culprit website) add it to my IExplorer Restricted Sites list (Options->Security). WARNING - Use Default Install Options! Don't fiddle with CCleaner's Advanced Registry stuff as it may hose you if you don't know what your doing. And run the Spybot Scan just-in-case...

HTH

Hi again installed the malware bytes now gonna find the other two...less pop ups now but did get one as I was trying to log on to here!!!! What would happen if I deleted internet explorer completely??? :unsure:I have installed ccleaner....so far so good??!!!!

Scrap that had another pop up( http://adserver.adtechus.com/adiframe/3.0/...;target=_blank) that was the address in bar???:(

Edited by whyfronts?

I now have major problems had to restart as updates were installed and now i keep getting messages saying the application is not a valid windows image please check against your installation diskette...whats happened?????Have sorted that one out myself..so far so good with the pop ups :D

Edited by whyfronts?