anybody using Firefox 2.0.0.22pre with 98?

the xt guy

I know that development of Firefox 2x officially stopped with 2.0.0.20 in Dec. of 2008. I also know that I can use Firefox 3x with Kernel XP (but I have two Firefox extensions that will not work with 3x and I don't want to give up those extensions.)

Mozilla offers in its nightly builds of Firefox 2.0.0.21 and 2.0.0.22pre. Apparently some releases of Thunderbird and (?) Seamonkey are still using the 2x versions of Firefox, so they are still being updated for Critical/etc. bugfixes. There have been numerous critical/moderate/etc. fixes applied to the .21 and .22pre versions of FF 2 that are not in 2.0.0.20.

I have downloaded and installed 2.0.0.22pre on both my Windows 98 and Win 2K computers, with no noticeable problems in the last couple of days. Has anyone else tried, or is currently using these versions of FF? (BTW, these development versions are labeled 'Bon Echo' when they are nightly builds, not FF.)

I know that development of Firefox 2x officially stopped with 2.0.0.20 in Dec. of 2008. I also know that I can use Firefox 3x with Kernel XP (but I have two Firefox extensions that will not work with 3x and I don't want to give up those extensions.)

Mozilla offers in its nightly builds of Firefox 2.0.0.21 and 2.0.0.22pre. Apparently some releases of Thunderbird and (?) Seamonkey are still using the 2x versions of Firefox, so they are still being updated for Critical/etc. bugfixes. There have been numerous critical/moderate/etc. fixes applied to the .21 and .22pre versions of FF 2 that are not in 2.0.0.20.

I have downloaded and installed 2.0.0.22pre on both my Windows 98 and Win 2K computers, with no noticeable problems in the last couple of days. Has anyone else tried, or is currently using these versions of FF? (BTW, these development versions are labeled 'Bon Echo' when they are nightly builds, not FF.)

Thought i'd give it a try. Seems ok so far on my win98SE system. It's called "Bon Echo" for some reason...The 'What's New' link doesn't give any info though.

This is interesting - I've thought that Mozilla stopped releasing Firefox versions from 2.x family.

Thank you for the info - I'll check 2.0.0.22 pre soon. :)

Btw, BenoitRen is correct - SeaMonkey and Thunderbird using the same version of Gecko engine as Firefox 2.

This is interesting - I've thought that Mozilla stopped releasing Firefox versions from 2.x family.

Thank you for the info - I'll check 2.0.0.22 pre soon. :)

Btw, BenoitRen is correct - SeaMonkey and Thunderbird using the same version of Gecko engine as Firefox 2.

Got some further info on it....

It's unsupported (of course) ...

The Bon Echo nightlies continue to be built, and fixes for security

issues sometimes get checked into the Bon Echo branch.

They're also *undocumented*

Daily a new version:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...est-mozilla1.8/

Use at what one's own risk, but then, what's new in that?

I've installed localized (polish) version of 2.0.0.22pre and no problems so far. In fact, IMHO, this version is faster than last official version!

Btw, I like that new icon too. :)

I've installed localized (polish) version of 2.0.0.22pre and no problems so far. In fact, IMHO, this version is faster than last official version!

Btw, I like that new icon too. :)

:unsure: polish? This link only EN version....

Are you all installing these builds on top of your old FF installs or uninstalling first? The built in updater is not picking these up as I never got a notification for release 2.0.0.21. Did you have to reinstall your plugins if uninstalling?

Thanks

Are you all installing these builds on top of your old FF installs or uninstalling first? The built in updater is not picking these up as I never got a notification for release 2.0.0.21. Did you have to reinstall your plugins if uninstalling?

Thanks

I've uninstalled my previous version of FF but uninstaller keeps plugins - you don't need install them again (at least that was in my case).

Edited by rainyd

(but I have two Firefox extensions that will not work with 3x and I don't want to give up those extensions.)

Have you tried using the 'Nightly Tester Tools' for firefox 3 to see if those two plugins really, in fact, will not work? The 'Nightly Tester Tools' overrides the compatibility version block and allows you to force older plugins to activate. At worse if it doesn't work afterward you can just reinstall firefox 2 (or a backup in the event you did that beforehand with your ff2 install).

Edited by Chozo4

Chozo4, I know this is a common mistake but there's a subtle difference between extensions and plugins.

Btw, when I've tested one of the first versions of Firefox 3 (with KernelEx) the Nightly Tester Tools wasn't able to help me with incompatible extensions.

I tried Bon Echo 22pre, but went back to Firefox 20 due to crashes related to shockwave. Could not install shockwave 11 as it would immediately crash my otherwise stable machine. Reinstalled shockwave 10 and now all is well again.