Help me get a dial-up modem installed in Win98

E-66

(move this to the Hardware forum if necessary)

My parents (who don't live in the same city as I do) let someone 'fix' their PC but weren't happy with the results so they brought it to me so I could go over it (I built the PC for them originally). I ended up reformatting the HDD and reinstalling Win98 but I'm having trouble getting the dial-up modem installed (no broadband where they live).

I don't know what kind of modem it is so I've downloaded a few drivers based on the chip on the modem. Typical big downloads with drivers for multiple operating systems. Unzipped it, ran the hxfsetup.exe that came with all of them, and the Add New Hardware thing pops up just like when you're installing any piece of new hardware. I direct it to where the driver files are unzipped but it says it can't find any. This has happened with with all 3 drivers I've downloaded.

Frustrated, I tried using the Modem applet in Control Panel to add it. Clicked on 'have disk' and directed it to the where the inf and driver files were and everything seemed to be going along as it should. Got to a certain point in the process and clicked on 'next' and get a screen that asks me which port I want to use the modem on, but the only choice it shows is the printer port. Ugh. Maybe it's because it's been years since I installed a dial-up modem but I don't ever remember having to select which port I wanted to use it on.

Any suggestions or other information I should provide to figure out how to get the modem working?

You may have to look a bit harder to find the correct driver if the add new hardware wizard can't find the right one amongst the stuf you've already downloaded.

As for which port to use try connecting it to a serial port COM1 / COM3, that's where my modem is on my win 98 box.

stuck

I probably should have mentioned, it's an internal PCI modem. I don't see anything in the BIOS that looks like it would be an issue. I guess I can look for another driver but based on the Conexant chip on the modem itself I think I've downloaded ones that should work.

Edited by E-66

COM 3 is where my dial-up modem is connected.

I think it shares resources with COM 1 IIRC.

I'm a bit surprised that only the LPT1 port was offered to you by the setup.

Are COM 1 and COM 2 present on your system in Device Manager?

:)

No, COM 1 & 2 don't show up in Device Manager, but they're enabled in the BIOS, on 'auto'. They weren't enabled in the BIOS when Win98 was installed.

Well at least that explains why they weren't offered as ports for the modem!

Try scanning for plug and play devices and see if they're now detected.

I'm surprised that they haven't been already anyway.

If that fails, try adding them manually using the Add Hardware wizard.

If the COM ports are now in Device Manager, try the modem install again.

With a bit of luck you might now be offered COM 1-4 as options.

Try using COM 3 as that seems to be the norm for modems.

:)

Certain modems are hard to install and they need a trick: manually add a COM port through Control panel > Add new hardware, then install the drivers and point them to the newly added COM port. After installation, the drivers may or may not detect yet another COM port and assign it to the modem; at that point, you may remove the manually added COM port.

To make sure you got the right drivers, you may have to retrieve the VendorID string from the registry or through a third-party utility and search for the manufacturer, based on that string.

Alternatively, try to find the FCC number on the modem board and search the FCC database for the manufacturer, then go to its homepage and search for the appropriate driver.

"Conexant" - Yippee! It's either going to be an HCF or an HSF type (Win)Modem. Without the correct drivers, it won't work. And if it's one of those Combo beasts (Modem + Sound), it gets trickier. Get the exact Chip Number and I might be able to help. Have run into these before; even if the Chip says "Conexant", the drivers could be "other-than".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the additional replies, sorry that I haven't been back to the thread. I still can't get the modem to work. There's a sticker on the back that says "AOpen FM-56SVV" so I had my mother go to the shop where she had the modem installed to see if she could get a driver disk. The guy there said they only sold one kind of internal AOpen modem so he gave her a driver CD which I now have here.

I reinstalled Win98 with the com ports enabled in the BIOS, but even with this supposed 'correct' driver CD I'm still having an issue getting the driver installed. Windows recognizes the modem on boot and says it's found new hardware, 'PCI Communication Device' or words to that effect, but when I direct the installer to where the drivers are it says it was unable to find any. I end up doing it manually with the 'have disk' method, and go to the same driver location, and when I do that I get a message that says "the driver you have chosen wasn't specifically written for the selected hardware and may not work correctly. Installation is not recommended." I got this same message with the other drivers I downloaded.

I went through with the install and afterwards it says everything is working properly, and everything is fine in Device Manager.... but I have other issues. It says it's installed on Com5? The modem diagnostics doesn't show a hardware ID for it, and it says it can't open the port when I when I select 'more info.' If I try to dial out it fails immediately.

And yes, it's an HSF modem, and apparently it's one of the combo types that Submix mentioned, because after I install the modem driver another 'add new hardware' box pops up with something about 'modem sound' or 'modem wave.'

I appreciate the help. Here is the info I got off the modem itself:

Conexant HSF

CX11252-41Z

0649Y1XM

SUN HOLD

THD-0301L

3VDC G611S

AOpen FM56-SVV

P/N: 91.AC001.2810

Maybe these are the same you already have, I don't know (the HSF for Win98):

http://www.conexant.com/support/md_driverdownload.jsp

Com port don't have to be active in BIOS for the modem to take the good port. At the contrary, if the adress is taken by the motherboard's com port, the modem is shifted to a further adress (here Com 5 as you have). Maybe you should remove the modem in "Safe Mode" before trying to reinstall it ?

Thanks for the additonal help, guys. That HXFSetup program came with all the drivers I downloaded and is also on the driver CD I just got. I've used it every time I've tried to get the driver installed. It does its thing and then the 'add new hardware' wizard starts, etc.

As far as removing/reinstalling the modem, each time I've tried to install it I've used a fresh Norton Ghost image, so there's no trace of any modem ever being there. What about installing Win98 with the modem already physically installed in the motherboard, think that'd make any difference?

Do you have Dial-Up Networking 1.4 upgrade installed? It might be needed.

Try running Add New Hardware in Control Panel, let it check for new hardware and see what it detects, particularly COM ports (try that before installing drivers as well as after). Even when drivers are installed, you may have to manually change COM port in modem properties. I vaguely remember having had such hassle with a friend's modem but unfortunately got no clear details about the correct procedure. :(

Is this the modem/sound card combo that came with the PC? If it is, what is the make and model of this PC? I have the original setup CDs for a couple of 98 units that used these types of units. Might get lucky and have the right one.

Rick