speech

Several years ago, I had software installed on my 98FE box that would process voice commands. It opened apps, typed as you spoke, saved, navigated, etc. It was really quite cool, but not of any real use to me. Such software requires either a quiet environment or a very directional microphone, neither of which I have. In order for it to work well, it had to be "trained" to the users voice, meaning I had to read and talk to this thing. IMO, computers do enough weird stuff to make you talk to yourself. The last thing I need is software that requires it.

I'd have to look but I might still have this software. I just don't remember what it was called.

ok

its just that i didit know you can get that thing vista has in 9x

just got this thing on a cd and it said it was installing mircosoft speech(dont worry it wasent a bad cd it was nero or some thing) and just went away so i gussing it was crap and didit worry about it but a week later i looked in my control panel and found that lol

Here's the current release of the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...ee-6583171b4530

The main download is SpeechSDK51.exe.

This will install the core speech synthesizer and speech recognition engines.

There are some sample apps that are quite useful.

Any software that uses the Microsoft Speech API can use the engines from this install.

How does this MS voice recogniser engine fare in comparison to IBM's ViaVoice ? - I /bought/ the latter for my old Aptiva (Windows 98 Se), and not unike Herbalist recounted above, never used it after 8 days of installing/training/playing with the damned thing. I did not even install it again when I rebuilt the system. Yes, it is working technology, but useful ?... maybe!