Problems with gdiplus.dll

kahlil88

My friend is having some problems with a fairly clean install (about a month or two ago) of Windows XP Home. When he tries to print an image from Explorer with the photo printing wizard, it crashes. The details showed that the problem was with gdiplus.dll so I tried to re-register it (regsvr32 gdiplus.dll) but got errors. I think it might have something to do with the Microsoft .NET Framework since that stopped working recently for no discernible reason.

Gdiplus is inside WinSXS so much more is needed than simply registering it. Also, XP had numerous updates of it. Search Microsoft KB.

Where is this gdiplus.dll located?

I believe it's in C:\Windows\System32

On my computers, it's in WinSXS. The difference might be XP Home, or < SP2 (if you have that), but I suspect some program put it there.

Now, this is a pretty critical component, so I wouldn't just delete it or move it. Maybe for starters you could install this recent Microsoft GDI+ update to have at least one working version of it, and then try again. Although I'm not very optimistic that it will solve the problem(s) on that computer...

Your best bet would be to create a memory dump as Cluberti said.

GL

• 1 month later...

My friend is having some problems with a fairly clean install (a few months ago) of Windows XP Home. When he tries to print an image from Explorer with the photo printing wizard, it gets as far as letting him choose a printer but crashes when he presses the "next" button. I created a memory dump if anyone can decipher it for me.

PID_3316__EXPLORER.EXE__Date_05_06_2009__Time_19_55_08PM.log.zip

Merging topics. Do NOT double post.

Sorry about that. I thought it would be better to have a different topic title, because this problem has more to do with the Photo Printing Wizard than GDI+.