Vista Basic

sandycdouglas

Good afternoon folks,

I'm new to this malarky having tryed a copy of Xp SP3 lite to see if itwould do the job...But it didn't because it didnt have support for my wireless, as well as other things. I then turned my hand to Ubuntu - With a bit of sucess but because im not the greatest guy with computers I struggled to get my broadcom wireless working on then when the pc crashed and it then refused to mount Ubuntu onto a drive...So thats been deleted!.

The main reason for me even looking to Vlite is to cut the crap! - as simpleas that. I still have things that I would like to achive with the laptop which I've updated the RAM on it but I still find it at times slow-ish to respond to things even having twaeked settings etc.

Heres what I'd still like to achive:

Wireless support (Broadcom)

Internet - Facebook, Forums, Downloads (Torrents)

Media - Pictures and movies from digital camera - Itunes also

Games - Football Manager 2009 (In an ideal world but not essential to provide support for that)

I'm happy enough to lose as much as possible as long as it doesn't effect general using of the pc.

Can anyone tell me what I can get rid of, what I need to add (SP1??) and how.

I'd apreciate every second of a reply

Healthy Regards,

Sy

Windows BASIC?!

Dude, you are better off with Home Premium.

Also, you should wait for SP2 releases on RTM soon.

Home Premium means that I'd have to buy it. I have Home Basic at the moment so thats all I have to work with really.

Whats RTM?

SY

If you're interested in performance, then the best thing to do is deactivate unneeded processes.

Removing files won't do much but create future problems (read this and the nLite subforum and see all the threads).

You can create a batch file to disable processes, and if you run into trouble you can always re-enable them. The batch file can be run after your installation completes.

By removing files from the source disk, when you run into an unexpected problem, the only chance to resolve it is to reinstall using a clean and complete Vista source disk.

BTW, Vista Basic is sufficient if all you want is a good working operating system and you're not interested in "eye candy" (such as Aero).

RTM = Release To Manufacturing

Edited by Nick_White

If you're interested in performance, then the best thing to do is deactivate unneeded processes.

Removing files won't do much but create future problems (read this and the nLite subforum and see all the threads).

You can create a batch file to disable processes, and if you run into trouble you can always re-enable them. The batch file can be run after your installation completes.

By removing files from the source disk, when you run into an unexpected problem, the only chance to resolve it is to reinstall using a clean and complete Vista source disk.

BTW, Vista Basic is sufficient if all you want is a good working operating system and you're not interested in "eye candy" (such as Aero).

RTM = Release To Manufacturing

I'll have a look at batch files. Is it the same thing as disabling processes in Services.msc?

Sy