HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

ahmad2080

I have not seen a time when a partitions ID changed back by itself. Perhaps there is an integrity check done at some point by the HP software that changes it? Or, the BIOS has a failsafe option enabled, such as a write-protect or anti-virus option.

Not sure what to do since both partitions are id 0x7.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, First of all......I'm sorry for this large delay in my reply....

I should have informed you people earlier..

However, just to close this case that appears to be still opened and unanswered, I'm gonna say what I'm gonna say :whistle: ...

The recovery disks loaded the recovery manager which gave me two option (unlike the recovery manager loaded from F8):

-Restore your computer to factory settings

-Restore your system to factory settings.

I really don't know the difference, I choosed the "system" recovery option anyway.[which seems to be more general]

After the procces finished, everything returned to normal.....F11 works and so does F8...

So everything is perfect now.......

and the WHOLE problem is solved...

I saved a copy from my MBR and bootsectors in case of any other future problems.

Thanks again......

Ahmad

Hi all,

Does anyone know exactly how to automate hidden recovery partition with option to hit function-key during post,

which will activate the 'restore to factory'-process? I read all the discussions, but there is no full and clear

guide/explanation.

What I want to do:

Make a winpe 2.0 cd/dvd which creates 2 partitions: 1 hidden recovery with fixed size (4GB), 1 system partiton with

the rest of the available size.

Afterwards with free available tool from Terabyte mbr.exe (windows-version) make the function-key available

which in turn will activate the recovery process if function-key is pressed during POST. After factory wim-image is restored, recovery partition has to be made hidden again and rebooted to the restored system-partition.

I'm aware of diskpart script and can create the partitions automatically , but get stuck at switching from one partition to another with Terabyte-tool. I use sysprep-images on a daily base and it would be awesome if I can do the same as roalty OEM-companies with recovery partition but using free available software (WAIK/OPK) from Microsoft and Terabyte. Next step will be to create an application form with different options to select:

- Create recovery-cd/dvd with or without wim-image included

- Create factory recovery partition

- Restore factory image (user data will be destroyed)

- Restore image without destroying user-data)

- Start diagnostic Tools (UBCD/UBCD4WINDOWS/WINBUILDER)

- Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB, Install from USB without Booting from USB

• 2 months later...

Hello I have a similar problem.

Hello,

Being in possession of a EliteBook 8530w and Pro running Vista X64, I decided to install Windows 7 in x64 version. Despite some small configuration problem, I restore my voullu Vista Pro x64 using the recovery partition (F11). Unfortunately I can no longer possible to use the recovery partition, Windows 7 is probably a boot sector. I've got Vista x64 Pro en version DVD but unfortunately it is an English version / Finnish / ect ... except french. As against partition on my recovery I have the French version, but how to use my recovery? I know that Dell there is a small app that allowed you put the amoracage the recovery partition, but at HP I can not find anywhere. I'm pretty enmbété because apparently I can not rajoutter files Language Pro on Vista x64. If someone has a solution for my problem would be really nice.

Error on F11 : 0xc000000f

Thanks for all help me.

Ps: I suppose that the partition starts on a recevory WinPE, but what is the file that runs everything in the picture if dessu? Personal car if I can do this manually is not a problem, but I do not know what aps file is run ...

Ps: sorry my bad english.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem way back months ago. The recovery manager can't create the recovery discs.

So this is what i did so that i can make use of that crappy partition which was bundled and was not working.

If you might be asking why I posted it just now?

It's because I'm still dead desperate that I'd be able to create those DVD Recovery discs and still "googling" for it.

1. Go to control panel.

2. Open Administrative Tools

3. Computer Management

4. Look for Storage.

5. Click Disk Management

6. Wait for your RECOVERY(D:) partition to appear

7. Right click it and select "Mark Partition as active"

8. Restart your laptop

9. Upon Boot Make sure to press F11 and F10 to make it work or whichever key you need to press to activate the Recovery Console.

10. And before doing this, completely BACK-UP your files first as the recovery process would put your notebook back into it's factory state.

Hope this helps!

chuboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have similar problem. I read all of the posts but still couldn't make a recovery DVD in case of error. Let me tell you my position.

I have Pavilion dv5-1102tx laptop. I bought it from one of the computer shops. I told them to install XP instead of vista. I really didn't have any idea that it didn't have installation media. Anyway, I have a computer now with HP_RECOVERY volume is intact. I can access from XP and all files seems ok. However I think they changed its boot sector in funny way. Because it is active drive XP's ntdetect ntldr is in in this drive. When I boot from XP HP_RECOVERY partition is D drive. However if I boot with Vista based bootable CD, its name changed to C:

I have tried to change MBR of HP_RECOVERY with the ones ahmad2080 posted. One time, when I hit F11 I just saw blinking underline and it got stuck, I used another one and this time it said Disk read error. Is there a anyway for me to make this recovery DVD. I am not thinking to install vista at anytime. I just want to have a insurance in case I need to install quick OS to make job done.

OK I've got some questions, because I am not entirely certain I understood what you posted.

1. Did this notebook originally have Vista installed on it at the store?

2. Is there a Vista COA (sticker with serial number) attached to the computer or is there only an XP COA?

3. Post the part number on the COA (not the CD Key!) it should start with an X, for example X14-11111.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm using the HP Pavilion dv6508tx. Last two days i have do a clean install of window 7 in my laptop. After the installation i have found that my f11 recovery not function anymore. However, i have make the recovery disc before doing the clean install of window 7. My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)

My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)
Won't swear to this, but I think the answer is yes. Check for any options when booting from the CD or running from Windows. Cancel it if it looks like no options for Complete HDD Restore (?).

Try at you own risk as I am not totally positive...

My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)
Won't swear to this, but I think the answer is yes. Check for any options when booting from the CD or running from Windows. Cancel it if it looks like no options for Complete HDD Restore (?).

Try at you own risk as I am not totally positive...

Inside the recovery when finish loaded the recovery disc, there are no advance option to only install the specific program especially HP recovery manger to recreate or enable the recovery partition. Any other suggestion?