Disable "Welcome IE8" tweak on first Run

Geej

Please share if you know any tweak that can disable "Welcome IE8 screen" on first run.

Usually I need to click "Ask me later" just to remove this little annoyance. I was wondering if there is any tweak as I couldn't find one.

ie81ststart.png

Thanks for the link but I have finally found below tweak to work in my XP (32bit) after applied at GUIRUNONCE.

(I will test it in T13 when got time.) <==edit == Found to work at T12/T13 too.

IE8NoWelcome.reg

Attachment same as

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"IE8RunOnceLastShown"=dword:00000001

"IE8RunOnceLastShown_TIMESTAMP"=hex:d0,0e,71,6a,ce,b5,c9,01

"IE8RunOncePerInstallCompleted"=dword:00000001

"IE8RunOnceCompletionTime"=hex:40,c3,35,84,ce,b5,c9,01

"IE8TourShown"=dword:00000001

"IE8TourShownTime"=hex:60,65,08,61,37,b7,c9,01

Edited by Geej

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, with the "Welcome to Internet Explorer 8" popup appearing quite often when I started IE8 (installed as a Windows Critical Download in the past two weeks ...). Looked at the various registry fixs here, and decide there must be an easier way, so I contacted Microsoft Tech Support. Here is what has worked for me, on three different XP-PRO systems:

Run GPEDIT.MSC

Find "Administrative Templates", drill to "Windows Components", "Internet Explorer"

Double click on Internet Explorer to get a long list and locate "Prevent Performance of First Run Customize Settings"

Right click, select properties, and set to "Disable"

Click on Apply, OK, and exit Group Policy Editor

I double checked the registry, after finding this to be successful, and did not find the various registry additions or changes suggested here, so this is probably an alternate approach -- and it works!

Brownie

@Brownie

To get these tweaks, I actually had to click "Next' at Welcome Prompt and answer all questions IE asks. So at the end, I get "IE8TourShown"=dword:00000001 & "IE8RunOnceLastShown" etc with their own timestamp. This is different from GPEDIT.MSC which are disabled totally. So it won't be the same in the registry.

• 2 months later...
Please share if you know any tweak that can disable "Welcome IE8 screen" on first run.

Usually I need to click "Ask me later" just to remove this little annoyance. I was wondering if there is any tweak as I couldn't find one.

ie81ststart.png

The quickest fix for Windows Vista IE8 is the zip file found on this blog. It's the only sure way I've found to be of any help at all and takes less than a minute to take care of that annoying welcome popup. This link has a file called ie8-tour-disable.zip. Click on it to download. I've used it and it worked beautifully. To my knowledge, there is no other way to do this unless you manually edit the registry. This little program makes all the changes in your registry for you in less than a second.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-...once-all-users/

I won't use a exe I am not sure of.

Actually GPedit does do some registry stuff but it disappears after you start IE8. If you manually add the 2 below into your reg tweaks it's completely turned off by a policy edit but it won't disappear.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{0ADBE806-9474-4975-88D6-9BE509667377}Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

• 2 years later...