PCI to USB Adaptor

aurel

If I plug a USB keyboard into a PCI to USB card adaptor, will I be able to go into BIOS menu at boot by pressing Del, or this kind of PCI card will let me use the USB keyboard in Windows only, by installing its drivers?

Thanks for welcoming me on this forum and for your answers! I don't want to spend any money on a device that wouldn't work after all. This is a 2001's Apollo Pro 133A mobo, maybe somebody has experienced a connection of a USB Keyboard to a PCI to USB Adaptor and knows if it's detected at boot.

maybe somebody has experienced a connection of a USB Keyboard to a PCI to USB Adaptor and knows if it's detected at boot.

BIOSes detect PCI USB cards past that stage, so the HIDs connected to them won't be detected.

But then again, you could get a replacement motherboard from the same era for less than a PCI USB card costs pretty much. Apollo Pro 133A is Socket 370 (or sometimes Slot 1), and if you look around, you could find such motherboards for under $5 (there's even some on ebay for $0.99 with 0 bids). Or you could upgrade. Lots of newer PCs can be had for very little money too.

I guess the same happens on newish ones, though I never had the occasion/need to fix one.
Yes they have the fuse and I tried to replace them before (or bridged them), also for the USB ports (mostly broken and short-circuited) but I never could get one to work again.

I wonder aurel, did you break a USB port?

I wonder aurel, did you break a USB port?

I'm not sure I did! The mobo had 2 USB ports only usable via headers, but they never worked, no matter what device I plugged in them. I don't know what was in my head when I first bought this mobo, even the PS/2 port was available to use via a header too. It was always very hard to connect devices to it. Anyway, yesterday I threw the mobo as I've tried almost everything I could, took the battery out, clearing CMOS, reading on the internet about PCI USB card and I learned that if I connected a USB keyboard to such a card, I woudn't be able to access the BIOS menu at boot time.

But, "the mobo is dead, long live the mobo!". I also have a boxed, never-used k7vt4a pro mobo for socket A(462). I'll try to find a sempron proc as I don't have one yet.

The pc I write this from is also a piece of antiquity: 11 year old Mendocino 520 MHz/ Intel440BX. :D

Hi everybody!

- I'm not quite sure the Bios associated with an Apollo 133 can use a Usb keyboard, even connected to the mobo's Usb. Did you check in the doc? Maybe your Usb port works.

- With a Usb keyboard and a mobo of this age, you're looking for trouble. Why shouldn't you buy a PS/2 keyboard? They're so cheap at eBay for instance!

- You i440bx is way better (much faster, no bugs) than the Via. Unless you want >256MB Ram, keep the i440bx. It runs over 133MHz. Some people can run 512MB on it. Just improve the Northbridge cooling.

- The Apollo 133 has never and will never work properly. Throw it away. Replace it with an Intel i815ep for instance : quick, no bug, Tualatin-capable (but Ram 512MB max). Such a mobo costs about 5€ +shipment on eBay now. Twice the throughput on Pci, Ram.

But avoid the Tusl2-c from Asus (yes!) as it forces Cas and Ras to 3 and Agp to 4x when you increase the Fsb - regardless of your hardware's capability. Take a Msi 815ept or a Ga 6oxt: they don't fool the user as Asus does with this chipset.

Edited by pointertovoid

The mobo had 2 USB ports only usable via headers, but they never worked, no matter what device I plugged in them. I don't know what was in my head when I first bought this mobo, even the PS/2 port was available to use via a header too.
Ow crap, it's one with the big DIN connector and not even ATX. PC-Chips perhaps? I would not even invest in something like that but that's me.

That ASUS board is okay, it has some flaws with AGP timings and sometimes switches back from UDMA to PIO mode in windows. there must be tons of cheap CPUs out there ;).

I just threw away that PC Partner mobo, baby AT form factor, very unstable, almost unusable, it was giving me only headaches. I had bought it at that time because it was very cheap and I was at the beginning of learning how to use a pc or assembling it. Anyway, I have had always problems with via chipsets. I remember having an AMD K6/2 proc with another via chipset mobo and always freezing into a "windows protection error".

Thanks for your answers! :)

Edited by aurel

Interesting comments, just goes to show how experiences vary:-

- The Apollo 133 has never and will never work properly. Throw it away. Replace it with an Intel i815ep for instance :
I just threw away that PC Partner mobo, baby AT form factor, very unstable, almost unusable, it was giving me only headaches. I had bought it at that time because it was very cheap ...

I've worked my way through quite a few PC-Partner micro-ATX boards, mostly with the Via chipset on. Socket 370 or Slot 1 (as already mentioned above). Two USB 1.1 sockets and two PS/2 sockets (no fuse) on the rear panel on all the boards I've seen from about 1998/9 to 2001/2. After adding a PCI-card NIC (no on-board LAN) they were rock-solid stable with Windows 2000 but, if I remember correctly, somewhat less happy on Windows 9x. Maybe the secret was finding the right chipset driver for Windows 2000, which could not be found directly from PC-Partner's home page, since the links never cross-connected. PSU's used to blow-up regularly, however. Most of them had a hopelessly underpowerd Celeron or low-end PIII, because the whole point was that they were cheap. OK in their day, but far too slow for today, of course, which is why $0.99 is about the current price.