Anyone succesfully installed IE8 unattended via RunOnceEx?

HI

HAs anyone succesfully accomplished this task?

I tried a lot of times, I always get the following error:

Error in: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\iedkcs32.dll
Entry Missing: BrandIEActiveSetup

And it won't install, tried everythng, i don't know what to do next.... :(

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm installing the IE8 in the "SVCPACK.INF" file in the "I386" folder this way:

"IE8.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart"

This works very fine. ;)

Edited by HØLLØW

its because you have to fully login to the desktop to install ie8.

Not true.

@chon_ You might want to try the excellent Onepiece's Internet Explorer 8 addon by Onepiece and Nonno Fabio. They also provide a Universal Addon Creator. The resulting Addon + SFX can be installed at any time (SVCPACK, cmdlines.txt, et cetera) and you can pre-configure any (registry) setting you like as well.

its because you have to fully login to the desktop to install ie8.

Not true.

@chon_ You might want to try the excellent Onepiece's Internet Explorer 8 addon by Onepiece and Nonno Fabio. They also provide a Universal Addon Creator. The resulting Addon + SFX can be installed at any time (SVCPACK, cmdlines.txt, et cetera) and you can pre-configure any (registry) setting you like as well.

yes might be true about the addon, and i was refering to the installation untouched ie8 setup file.

yes might be true about the addon, and i was refering to the installation untouched ie8 setup file.

All the Addon Maker does is (optionally) integrating hotfixes, and making a silent SFX out of it for unattended installations. It simply uses basic parameters like /quiet /passive /norestart, similar to what HØLLØW already mentioned.

Edit:

its because you have to fully login to the desktop to install ie8

I forgot to add that chon_ is having problems with RunOnceEx, which runs after the user logs in. So obviously, something else is wrong.

Edited by beats

• 2 weeks later...

Could you explain this in more details? The only SVCPACK.INF file I have is the one built into my PCs OS, i.e. C:\Windows\Svcpack.inf. When I looked for something similar in the nLite installation XP I386 folders, the closest I came was a svcpack.in_ file.

Hey guys,

This works very fine. ;)

When I looked for something similar in the nLite installation XP I386 folders, the closest I came was a svcpack.in_ file.

This is the requested file, but it`s cabbed - you need to uncab it.

You can use commandline or this: http://www.ditii.com/2006/12/07/expander-e...d-and-make-cab/

Edit:

I just realised my link leads into a dead website.

This is my own uses SFX which registers "Makecab" and "Expand" to context-menu:

http://german-winlite.de/wbb/index.php?pag...12567#post12567

Edited by g-force

Could you explain this in more details? The only SVCPACK.INF file I have is the one built into my PCs OS, i.e. C:\Windows\Svcpack.inf. When I looked for something similar in the nLite installation XP I386 folders, the closest I came was a svcpack.in_ file.
Hey guys,

This works very fine. ;)

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/v...70a62ec2057565/

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's actually a reason it doesn't work from RunOnce after installing Windows. It is actually precisely because you have to logon once if you run setup AFTER Windows has finished installing and setup reboots the box. Running it during setup from svcpack.inf works around this particular issue, because the branding isn't done until after the "first reboot" after IE8 is installed, aka when setup finishes and reboots. If you use RunOnceEx to install IE8 (/noreboot) without ever logging on (say for example, right after Windows finishes installing), it *does* break like this, and it is for very specific reasons. If you install IE8 during setup, when Setup reboots (and iedkcs32 runs branding on first login), you've already got a reboot between setup and branding, and you also have ActiveSetup populated with IE8 data (and a reboot) and it works regardless of profile creation or not, because the issue causing the error has been "worked around" by creating the required reg keys during setup, rather than when the user first logs on. It's a specific problem with doing it this way: 1. XP install, reboot; 2. RunOnceEx installs IE8 package with /noreboot switch; 3. RunOnceEx finishes and the user logs on - branding fails, because IE8 setup hasn't completed, and the ActiveSetup registry keys are not fully populated yet.