Add users to group on domain with run once

Gnomeofdeath

Hey everyone-

I am wondering if there is a way to add users to groups from the run once command. I have successfully joined the domain with the unattended install but still need to log into the computer as the local administrator to add the domain users to the groups I need.

You might need to be clearer on what your requesting here? Or what your trying to do.

As you already have user accounts setup in ActiveDirectory - why not just add those users to the groups you need?

Or if you need to grant access rights for certain user accounts to be added to the local computer accounts, I think you can do this wtih group policies.

A little more in depth.

When I join a computer to our domain, there are three users that I need to add to different local groups on the machine. If I sign into the domain without adding these first, I cannot perform any admin functions, plus our security script disables the local administrator account when we log into the domain for the first time. I can add the users without using a network ID if I log into the machine as the local admin before logging into the domain. Is there a way to do this from the command line? If so, would this work in the run once command for nLite.

Edited by Gnomeofdeath

Gnomeofdeath, I have not used Domains and am not familiar with them, but I took a look at deploy.chm and it seems to define user/domain relationships. If this works, then setup will be able to do this for you during install. Please go to the Support folder of your install CD, and look for deploy.cab. Expand this (I use 7-Zip) and you will find two .chm (help) files. Look into deploy.chm and see if the domain stuff there helps you. I did not look at ref.chm, but it may help also. Please let us know what you learn. Have fun, John.

This is what I found when looking for command line iformation. The first set of quotes will be the user and the second will be the local group. Do you think this will work?

net localgroup "Accounting Local Resource Group" "Accounting Members" /ADD

Edited by Gnomeofdeath

Gnomeofdeath, I agree with your command syntax. Whether this will work during install, I do not know. I assume you are going to run this out of nLite RunOnce exit. I suggest you use a virtual system, such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free, to test your install. Please let us know how it turns out. Enjoy, John.

Gnomeofdeath- How are your doing the domain join? If you are doing it via script, instead of answer file, you can run you net local group commands before you send the reboot command.

So...

Join domain (no reboot)

Add users to local groups

reboot