[WDS] Add Server Error

Tripredacus

I just set up my new server. I have installed only Daemon Tools and Windows OPK beta for Windows 7. I have added the role of Deployment services and joined the server to a domain.

From the WDS Snap-in, I choose to Add Server. I choose Local Computer, and then receive this error:

Add Server Error

Logon Failure: Unknown user name or bad password

I have not ever set up WDS on a machine that was not a domain controller. Is this normal then? The domain it is joined to is on Server 2003.

OK that may be an issue. The computer is joined to the domain, and it shows up as such in say, IPCONFIG, but the account on it is still the local administrator account. I will try making a user for it. What AD group do you think? Backup Operators?

The only strange thing in the event viewer (there are no errors) is some Audit Failures (and passes) that include NULL accounts that are coming from the Domain Controller.

I have confirmed this. You need to be logged into the domain in order to add a WDS. Simply having the computer added to the domain is not enough.

I'm struggling with the User Account control however. After adding a boot image to WDS on 2008, I wanted to add it into my WDS console on 2003. It adds properly, but a message comes up about how either WDS is not installed or there is no access to the other computer.

I cannot any way to add a local user of another computer into the Member list on the Server 2008. I can add domain users however. I'm going to play with it a little more.

EDIT: I didn't need to add a local user. I forgot that the domain controller logs on with a domain account. I still could not add the 2008 to the 2003, but I could add the 2003 to the 2008. I guess this issue is resolved for now.

• 1 year later...

I have confirmed this. You need to be logged into the domain in order to add a WDS. Simply having the computer added to the domain is not enough.

I'm struggling with the User Account control however. After adding a boot image to WDS on 2008, I wanted to add it into my WDS console on 2003. It adds properly, but a message comes up about how either WDS is not installed or there is no access to the other computer.

I cannot any way to add a local user of another computer into the Member list on the Server 2008. I can add domain users however. I'm going to play with it a little more.

EDIT: I didn't need to add a local user. I forgot that the domain controller logs on with a domain account. I still could not add the 2008 to the 2003, but I could add the 2003 to the 2008. I guess this issue is resolved for now.

Hi guys, you are not alone here, in my log i also see nothing is ERROR, here's what I've done to start the WDS service:

In Active Directory:

1) Log into a Domain Controller and launch Active Directory Users and Computers

2) Enable "Advanced Features" from the View menu

3) Find the server object for the WDS server and in Properties select the Security tab

4) Verify that the SELF group has the following permissions:

a) Create All Child Objects

B) Delete All Child Objects

c) Validated write to DNS host name

d) Validated write to service principal name

e) Read Personal Information

f) Write Personal Information

or full control

but still the server node cannot be added since i also got the same error message of "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password."

wdserror.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by albertwt