DDR2 TO DDR3 ? DOABLE ?

fun4now

so can i just pop DDR3 on place of DDR2 or do i need to see if the mother board will support it of flash the bios ? any one done this ??

where do i start looking into it ?? maker of comp ??

just thought it would be fun to try to zip things up even more . :thumbup

Like what Witt3439 said. DDR3 does not fit into DDR2 slots. You have to buy a DDR3 motherboard, or you can get a motherboard that supports both DDR2 AND DDR3 with different slots. Personally, I see no need to buy DDR3 ATM because it costs a lot unless you have a core i7 system.

EDIT: BTW DDR3 will not make your system much faster at all. If you already have 2GB of DDR2 RAM, the best way to give it more zip is to get a new CPU or hard drive.

Edited by Zenskas

thanks guys, i was just wondering if it would help with games. the new laptop is plenty fast. just never hurts to add a lil.:)

redhatcc : sorry about the wrong place, i just figured gamers would be the first to look into it as its showing up on gamer comps already and thats about all i see it in.

thanks all.

James

I still don't know the model of that laptop but I would guess it can handle up to 4GB. If it supports the 4GB then I would for use fill it up to the max. You are not only saving your battery, but performance will be better when playing games. Memory is most likely easy to install; just take out a few screws and place the RAM in, just make sure you remove the battery and keep it disconnected from the power outlet. In the other topic I made I asked you for the model number so we could look into of what could be possible with your laptop.

sorry, the model is a ASUS G50VT series.

its set up with 4GB of ram now and plenty fast for all my games.its set up for gamming :thumbup

i was just looking into future possibilities. in the other post i had a asus 90 series i think, but it crashed and i returned it and got this one.

There's a reason other than speed why one is called DDRII and the other one is called DDRIII.

As an example, I type on this "old" laptop that uses 2x 256Meg of 333MHz DDR.

I could buy 1Gig 400MHz DDR for ~€40 for upgrade,

I could also buy 1Gig 800MHz DDRII for less than half that price, but I wouldn't. Wonder why the same amount of RAM at double the speed is half the price ? Simply because it won't work nor fit in my portable and the 1st is high end of one technology and the other is the low end of the next technology.

Ponch;

well that helped confuse me. :wacko:

i have 4GB DDR2 in my laptop as RAM and DDR3 in the video card ???

whats wikipedia ?

starcraftmaster ;

do you play on line or just at home ?? and do you also play command and conquer ??

I'm a huge fan of all those type games. just got C&C 3 and red alert 3. want the expansion pack for red alert 3 but it seems to be download only at this point. not an option on dial up so i gotta wait till i get to the coffee shop to download or wait till it goes hard copy.

i need to check out star-craft with my new laptop with max graphics. will be cool to see all the stuff i was missing on my desktop comp. well that is it will load in Vista. lost a few games when i went to reinstall all my older games. :angry: still have a few to try out.

i think you should program it. or there should be adjustment!

Yes I wish I could magically adjust my motherboard to support intel core i7 CPU's and while I'm there I will make DDR3 magically fit into the slot. :P

You might want to research what you say before you say it :(

where do you guys learn this stuff ??? i got plenty of free time, where should i start ??
In this case you can't learn that, it's just bull...

But yes, wikipedia has a lot of good info...

My words exactly. But starcraftmaster didn't help by saying what tekkiegurl said was from wikipedia. Unless wikipedia is lying. :D

EDIT: @fun4now: The DDR3 memory in your video card is separate from the RAM on your motherboard. The memory chips are on the actual graphics card.

Edited by Zenskas