Created XP SP3 disk software key problem

k64

Three years ago I used nLite to create a WinXP SP2 disk, this booted OK but I never needed to use it.

This week I've used latest nLite to create a WinXP SP3 disk from my original SP1a disk and the SP3 download.

I now wish to use this to install a clean XP SP3 in a different partition, but I can't get past entering the software key which it says is incorrect. I'm confident it is correct as it's the same as on the label on this laptop.

Of course I can't use the original SP1a or the nLite SP2 disks because "the version of XP on your computer is newer than the version on the CD".

What could I have done wrong here?

[Dell Inspiron 8600 running WindowsXP Pro SP3]

k64, it sounds like you are trying to install two copies of Windows on the same PC with the same key. Since you are allowed to only install one copy on one machine, I suspect this is your trouble. I am sure you will not be able to activate it, but I would think you could install, as I do with my VMware Sever. Both my real and virtual machine use the same key. I do not even try to activate the VM copy, though. If you are looking to just test this new build, I would strongly suggest that you use a virtual system, such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free. Another possibility is the type of CD versus type of Key. Please look in SETUPP.INI on your CD and post the Pid. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Three years ago I used nLite to create a WinXP SP2 disk, this booted OK but I never needed to use it.

This week I've used latest nLite to create a WinXP SP3 disk from my original SP1a disk and the SP3 download.

I now wish to use this to install a clean XP SP3 in a different partition, but I can't get past entering the software key which it says is incorrect. I'm confident it is correct as it's the same as on the label on this laptop.

Of course I can't use the original SP1a or the nLite SP2 disks because "the version of XP on your computer is newer than the version on the CD".

What could I have done wrong here?

[Dell Inspiron 8600 running WindowsXP Pro SP3]

If your XP SP1a installation disc is what came with your Dell (which I'm sure it was, I have probably the exact same XP SP1a Dell installation disc myself), first of all the CD key on the outside of the computer isn't the same key that XP is actually installed with. Every Dell XP computer gets a unique key listed on this sticker, but all Dell XP installations usually use the same key - which isn't the one on the sticker.

I haven't used this myself, but try googling for "OEMSCAN" and that might lead you to the information you're looking for. Also, if your previous XP installation is still working (or you can reinstall from the SP1a disc), there are utilities to tell you what key is used on the current installation, then you will see what I mean. I believe the key starts with an "R", but that's just from memory.

If you know where to look in the files on the original SP1a disc, you can also get the key from there.

Good luck!

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Look for a file "winnt.sif" in "I386" on your XP-SP1a-Disc.

If it`s there, it contains a produktkey - compare it with the key on the sticker.

Brilliant! That's got me past the software key OK. Thanks, g-force.