2.5 inch to 3.5 inch

I have an adapter thats goes from 2.5" to 3.5" connecting the2.5" side is fine but the 3.5 inch side of the adapter has all 40 pins so the IDE cable has one pin ( i believe #19) blocked off. What are my options here?

Red line running down the cable indicates Pin1. Just "pull" the "block" out of the Cable with a safety pin. Some connectors (pins) in some MoBo's and/or HDD's (usually older ones) have A PIN "sticking out" (older) whereas newer Cables have the "pin hole" blocked and no pin present on the MoBo or Device. I have "pulled" this "block" before with no ill effects. Pin1 on the Device is usually right next to the Power Connector and the MoBo usually has a marking on it; "1" on the end for the Red Edge of the Cable to be connected. Also, there is usually (not always) a "hump" on the Cable and a "slot" on the MoBo (or Device) that prevents inadvertantly plugging in incorrectly.

HTH (clarification of jaclaz' post)

Edited by submix8c

Red line running down the cable indicates Pin1. Just "pull" the "block" out of the Cable with a safety pin. Some connectors (pins) in some MoBo's and/or HDD's (usually older ones) have A PIN "sticking out" (older) whereas newer Cables have the "pin hole" blocked and no pin present on the MoBo or Device. I have "pulled" this "block" before with no ill effects. Pin1 on the Device is usually right next to the Power Connector and the MoBo usually has a marking on it; "1" on the end for the Red Edge of the Cable to be connected. Also, there is usually (not always) a "hump" on the Cable and a "slot" on the MoBo (or Device) that prevents inadvertantly plugging in incorrectly.

HTH (clarification of jaclaz' post)

Oh I thought I would just pull the pin out of the adapter unit?

I'm assuming that the pin pictured in the bottom right of the image below is pin one then the one underneath it is 2 etc etc, so I would just count till I got to pin 20 and pull it out ?

post-30558-1237647143_thumb.jpg[

Edited by tb582

I have an adapter thats goes from 2.5" to 3.5" connecting the2.5" side is fine but the 3.5 inch side of the adapter has all 40 pins so the IDE cable has one pin ( i believe #19) blocked off.
The link given by Jaclaz was for IDE/ATA/EIDE (the 40-pin), right? Your adapter has all 40 pins, right? "The IDE cable has one pin blocked off"... Unblock the cable! Look at the end of the cable - there's probably a "plastic plug" in the hole; pull it out.

(got a link to the adapter where purchased?)

edit - upper part of pic is the 2.5in. side, and lower is 3.5in. side?

(looking for a "blocked cable" in my stash...)

Found one I had "gouged out" the plug (I think)... appears to be "that one"...

Edited by submix8c

I have an adapter thats goes from 2.5" to 3.5" connecting the2.5" side is fine but the 3.5 inch side of the adapter has all 40 pins so the IDE cable has one pin ( i believe #19) blocked off.
The link given by Jaclaz was for IDE/ATA/EIDE (the 40-pin), right? Your adapter has all 40 pins, right? "The IDE cable has one pin blocked off"... Unblock the cable! Look at the end of the cable - there's probably a "plastic plug" in the hole; pull it out.

(got a link to the adapter where purchased?)

edit - upper part of pic is the 2.5in. side, and lower is 3.5in. side?

(looking for a "blocked cable" in my stash...)

Found one I had "gouged out" the plug (I think)... appears to be "that one"...

Correct the upper part is the 2.5inside and lower is 3.5 in side - I guess I can just poke out the blocked slot on the IDE cable (fingers crossed, but eyes open :wacko: ) ...

Just to clear what I said (I should know what I have said):

you can remove the pin with a pair of pliers

meaning from the adapter.

Second advice:

or buy another IDE/ATA cable without Pin 20 "blocked"

Third advice:

or drill a hole on your existing cable connector (not really advised ;)).

The (few) cable connectors with no hole corresponding to pin #20 I have seen were "solid plastic", if yours is a "normal" connector with a "plastic pin" inserted in it at #20, you can of course try removing it.

jaclaz

Just to clear what I said (I should know what I have said):
you can remove the pin with a pair of pliers

meaning from the adapter.

Second advice:

or buy another IDE/ATA cable without Pin 20 "blocked"

jaclaz

What is pin 20 used for? since its on the adapter I would think they didn't just put it there for the hell of it, right?

never mind quick search on wikipedia came up with the answer.....

Pin 20

In the ATA standard, Pin 20 is defined as key and is not used. However, some flash memory disks can use pin 20 as VCC_in to power the disk without needing a special power cable[14].

So with that being said I think I'll get a cable without pin 20 blocked, any ideas of where to obtain one?

Edited by tb582

"20 KEY - Key (Pin missing) "

"Also, there is usually (not always) a "hump" on the Cable and a "slot" on the MoBo (or Device) that prevents inadvertantly plugging in incorrectly."

To ensure that it's plugged in correctly. Both methods apply (second is also a "key")...

Looks to me like you can just "bend" the pin out of the way...

Edited by submix8c

Looks to me like you can just "bend" the pin out of the way...

Which was the original suggestion. ;)

I mean, it depends on the actual use of the adapter, if it's going to be "portable", you can cut it/bend it with a pair of pliers, this way the adapter will be "compatible with any ATA/IDE cable you may find on different machines.

If you get a new ATA/IDE cable with pin #20 unblocked, it is OK, as the cable too will become part of the "portable" kit.

If you "drill the hole" (or make a groove with a cutter) to your existiung ATA/IDE cable, besides the possibility of breaking something or hurt yourself, you won't have anything really "portable".

"Also, there is usually (not always) a "hump" on the Cable and a "slot" on the MoBo (or Device) that prevents inadvertantly plugging in incorrectly."

To ensure that it's plugged in correctly. Both methods apply (second is also a "key")...

Please note that whilst the actual connectors are the same, there are TWO kind of cables:

old, 40 wires one, up to ATA-5 / ATA 66 if I recall correctly (Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2)

new, 80 wires one, for ATA-6/-7 / ATA 100 and 133 (and backwards compatible)

Old cables had "exchangeable" connectors, you could plug any of them in either motherboard, master device or slave device.

New ones are colour coded:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).

Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.

Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is used.

@tb582

Most cables won't have pin #20 blocked, just check your preferred local store or national internet source, as an example, Lindy cables are not blocked:

http://www.lindy-usa.com/31-2-ata33-ide-ha...-45m/33140.html

http://www.lindy-usa.com/31-2-ultra-ata-66...-45m/33156.html

On online shops usually there is a picture of the cable, from which you can see whether pin #20 is blocked or not, this one:

parallel_ata_hd_800x618.jpg

is an example of the ones that are "solid plastic".

jaclaz

there are TWO kind of cables:

old, 40 wires one, up to ATA-5 / ATA 66 if I recall correctly (Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2)

new, 80 wires one, for ATA-6/-7 / ATA 100 and 133 (and backwards compatible)

ATA66 requires 80wires cable (see your own "ATA66" link few lines further). ;)

Yep :), correction:

there are TWO kind of cables:

old, 40 wires one, up to ATA-5 / ATA 66 if I recall correctly ATA-4 / ATA 33 (Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2)

new, 80 wires one, for ATA-5 / ATA 66 and later ATA-6/-7 / ATA 100 and 133 (and backwards compatible)

jaclaz

Third advice:
or drill a hole on your existing cable connector (not really advised ;)).

The (few) cable connectors with no hole corresponding to pin #20 I have seen were "solid plastic", if yours is a "normal" connector with a "plastic pin" inserted in it at #20, you can of course try removing it.

I used to push the pins trough the 0.5mm plastic, and yes, I did that many times before without any problems. Older motherboard with just PIO mode or UDMA2 used to have that extra useless pin. if the pin breaks removed it indeed with some pliers by bending it a few times more.

Sure you do this with risk of breaking things, just be careful, I don't want to be held responsible ;).