How hard is it to do a 500M XP Install?

BrettS

I'm working on setting up a machine for a kiosk type application and I want to use a solid state flash drive. All I'll need is XP and the application itself (which does require .net). It looks like it will be almost twice the cost to get a 2G drive instead of a 1G drive. I'd like to have about 500M left after the XP install to install my application and it's support files (This is somewhat flexable, though). Can I easily install XP on a 1G drive with 500M to spare or would I be better off getting the 2G drive?

Thanks,

Brett

I would really go for the 2gig one...

.Net is HUGE no matter which version you install.

Then you have the pagefile

And the recycle bin reserved space.

A 500 meg XP is NOT hard to acheive at all though.

I think the extra overhead of a 2 gig one would just make you ALOT more comfortable.

I think the extra overhead of a 2 gig one would just make you ALOT more comfortable.

Thanks Kelsenellenelvian, I suspect you may be right. Like I said, the 2G one is twice the price, but it's still really not that expensive in the long run, plus I'd hate to get the 1G one and wind up needing an extra couple of megs and regretting it. This kiosk thing should mostly be a set it and forget it thing and if it's too tight on space I'm afraid I'll have more problems to deal with.

Instead of a USB stick and all of the config and formatting hassels that brings, consider using an IDE flash module. Cheap and fast and wholly internal to your system.

That was my plan, actually, but thanks for the suggestion:)

Incidently, I think what I'm going to do is just try to play around with it a bit before I order the drive. I don't think I'll need any space for the swap drive (I believe that it's recommended that you turn the swap file off on a flash drive to avoid writing to it too much) and I can shrink the recycle bin... once this system is set up I won't be deleting any files. I'm just going to set up a VM with a 1G drive and try to install XP and my app on it and see how much space I need.

Thank again,

Brett

BrettS, I would also suggest you turn off hibernate (allocates disk space equal to memory size) and I think there is an option to direct delete (bypass Recycle bin). With this you can eliminate the bin altogether. Have fun, John.