copy from full ntfs partition impossible?

cooper2009

Hi there,

strange issue on XP, SP2: NTFS, truecrypt container (file) is full, 0% left. Attached via USB. Partition is filled with sparse files. It is having a normal drive letter, chkdsk says filesystem is OK, and states 2.7GB free.

Problem: I am unable to copy/move big files from that partition, to the local disk with XP on it. Message 'No space left on device', same with Explorer and a NC clone (SpeedCommander). This is wrong, the target is big enough. ONLY after moving smaller files from that partition, it is possible to move the bigger files from that partition.

What is the problem? Why this wrong message?

Could truecrypt be the problem? I posted this in the Truecrypt forum as well.

BTW, after several other various issues with XP (such as wrong formatting fs-type 6 instead of 7/NTFS, BSOD when attaching these wrong partitions to the PC, another BSOD after log on without these partitions) I finally will move to another OS. Away from Windows.

cooper2009.

Thanks for your reply.

All NTFS, TrueCrypt is latest, v6.1a.

I do know the ProcessExplorer, but it won't help much if this the filesystem driver is updating the meta-data of the partition (and it can't).

Will try the next time the drive is full. Also mounting the full partition as read-only might help.

But why should the OS modify the meta data when ~50% is copied??

cooper2009.

Nope, no compression. Just sparse files. So it is always unclear what the occupation of the partition really is-

depending on the program used (even if the explorer sees 0bytes free, chkdsk saw ~2.7G free yesterday; now this is the same, both say ~4.7GB free).

I was also able copy small files to the partition, even if explorer reported 0 bytes free... this is real transparency...

cooper2009.