SOLVED: [WinSetupFromUSB] CONFIG.NT error message upon 1st reboot

mawi

Resolved, see this post. (last in topic, below)

RE: WinSetupFromUSB (0.1.1, latest at the time of writing)

* Trying to install Win XP sp 3, nlited install with drivers for drive, options but no addons.

* First part goes fine; I reboot

* Windows starts and I anticipate second part of installation. "Windows loading screen" (don't know actual name) is shown, then the familiar windows blue desktop color appears...

but then, before anything else is shown, a command/terminal window and a dialogue on it appears.

* The dialogue displays an error:

Title:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

Text:

setup -newsetup

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Buttons:

CLOSE/IGNORE

post-236678-1237397404_thumb.jpg

The commandline title is "setup -newsetup"

* I have looked for a logfile to submit, but I have not found any.

* I have tried different windows xp images, removed all addons to have a clean, trying to see if the problem might be somewhere else. No luck so far.

* Other have experienced this problem, see here:

German, Matt:

http://myeee.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/wins...k/#comment-1256

Any clues as to what may be causing this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/mawi

Edited by mawi

Please post ~LS\I386\presetup.cmd and compare file sizes of extracted setup.ex_ and setuporg.exe, do they match?

Please attach WinSetupFromUSB.log found in program's directory, along with the old archived logs, found in \backups\date-time-log.cab.

edit: have you removed by any chance 16-bit support by using nLite? Maybe the fake setup.exe needs some components in order work properly and execute the real setup.exe (setupORG.exe) after had launched presetup.cmd.

Edited by ilko_t

Hello,

thankyou for your reply!

Please post ~LS\I386\presetup.cmd and compare file sizes of extracted setup.ex_ and setuporg.exe, do they match?

I tried another way with the usb drive and so I dont have it left.

Please attach WinSetupFromUSB.log found in program's directory, along with the old archived logs, found in \backups\date-time-log.cab.

OK; I have attached a zip with some logs. WinSetupFromUSB_Logs.zip

edit: have you removed by any chance 16-bit support by using nLite? Maybe the fake setup.exe needs some components in order work properly and execute the real setup.exe (setupORG.exe) after had launched presetup.cmd.

I tried to keep the edits to a minimum, just settings and driver for the disk, so I don't think so. I will try again with a vanilla setup to be sure.

Best regards! /mawi

Edited by mawi

Hello!

OK! I retried the whole procedure (this time with just one partition on the harddrive). Sadly, I got the same results, same error message as above. :(

I am not quite sure what files to compare:

- I tried finding any of the three files you mention on the harddrive (I assumed that is where they would be extracted) yet I found none of them.

- On the USB, in the -LS\i386 dir, I found them, of course. Here they are (names are prefixed to indicate where they came from):

usb_presetupAndSetup.zip

Please tell me where to look for the files I need to compare with. Thanks for your help and time!

Best regards,

/mawi

PS

By the way, I did double check that 16 bit subsystem was not disabled in nlite, and it was not. It sounded very plausible... :-)

Edited by mawi

usb-SETUP.EX_ is filled with zeroes as is setup.exe if you extract it using

expand setup.ex_ setup.exe

You can open it up with the free TinyHexer for example.

If that's indeed setup.ex_ found in ~LS\I386 folder then copy manually setup.ex_ from \WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\ to ~LS\I386 on the USB disk overwriting the existing corrupted file. This should get you going.

You may want to check in TinyHexer \WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\setup.ex_ first. If you see again all is zeroes then please let me know.

As for why the file is corrupted I can only guess, maybe antivirus scanner interfering :unsure:

Hello again,

usb-SETUP.EX_ is filled with zeroes as is setup.exe

If that's indeed setup.ex_ found in ~LS\I386 folder then copy manually setup.ex_ from \WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\ to ~LS\I386 on the USB disk overwriting the existing corrupted file. This should get you going.

good catch this!

You may want to check in TinyHexer \WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\setup.ex_ first. If you see again all is zeroes then please let me know.

Yes, I checked the original setup.ex_ (in the installation dir), and it was the same! Besides viewing in my favorite editor, I also ran a comparison to be sure, all zeroes as you said.

So I reinstalled WinSetupFromUSB, and then the file was different.

I am now running WinSetupFromUSB again, creating a new install to the USB.

Holding my thumbs!

/mawi

Progress!

I am now looking at a Windows XP Setup dialogue, and it seems the install is progressing as expected after the reboot, contrary to before.

This time, as WinSetupFromUSB was running, I got a sysinternals eula agreement dialogue. Not that it bothers me much, but I did not see this before. I apparently do not use their sync myself.

Question: Is this as it should be? I am paranoid, I guess...

post-236678-1237627672_thumb.jpg

/mawi

SOLVED

1. Problem: Faulty installation of WinSetupFromUSB, caused bad versions of setup files to be put into installation folder on USB.

Consequently GUI phase of windows install failed.

(Note: My install was not in default folder, but \Program Files\WinSetupFromUSB.)

2. Cause: Unknown right now.

3. Resolution: Reinstalled WinSetupFromUSB. Recreated installation on USB. Install worked fine.

Big thanks to ilko_t for finding the problem!! :D

/mawi

This time, as WinSetupFromUSB was running, I got a sysinternals eula agreement dialogue. Not that it bothers me much, but I did not see this before. I apparently do not use their sync myself.

Question: Is this as it should be? I am paranoid, I guess...

post-236678-1237627672_thumb.jpg

/mawi

That's perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Sync is used to flush data to the USB disk.
SOLVED
:thumbup

As for the corrupted file- maybe bad download (did you get it from MSFN link to datafilehost.com? ), AV scanner or something interfering with installation :blink:

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.