Dell Optiplex GX150 problem

My Dell Optiplex GX150 keeps shutting down during boot up. Sometimes it runs ok, other times it runs for a few minutes and then shuts down and other times as soon during the booting process it shuts down then repeat the process over and over. I've cleaned the case and components of dust but still have the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am using XP Professional.

Thanks

kilo bravo

I have an optiplex GX 150 and never had this issue. Which one do you have? The small form factor, desktop, or tower? What are your PC specs? The power supply might be going or like puntomx said, the fans may not be working and it is overheating.

I would start to check the memory with memtest86. Besides your RAM, it could be a bad thermal paste/pad between your CPU cooler and CPU. Also check if all fans are spinning up.

i would place my bet on either ram or processor overheating.

Thanks for all your responses. Will perform a check with memtest86 and check the other stuff like the fans, etc. I'm not really a computer whiz but I will see what i can do. by the way Zenskas the specs are 930 mhz, 512mb RAM, Intel Pentium 111 Processor, 9.30gb harddrive, desktop.

Thanks for all your responses. Will perform a check with memtest86 and check the other stuff like the fans, etc. I'm not really a computer whiz but I will see what i can do. by the way Zenskas the specs are 930 mhz, 512mb RAM, Intel Pentium 111 Processor, 9.30gb harddrive, desktop.

Pretty much the same as what mine has so the power supply is providing enough power... try memtest, or take out one stick of ram and see what happens, then try the other stick by itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I hope he already checked that as I posted that 3 weeks ago.

... Besides your RAM, it could be a bad thermal paste/pad between your CPU cooler and CPU. Also check if all fans are spinning up.