Is my XP corrupted, or...

paullyboy

I tried to insert a picure into an email. It wouldn't, and AOL froze up. Had to 'task manager' my way back to the desktop. After a few attempts with same results, I remembered getting a popup yesterday, apparently from Adobe for an update. Funny, cause Windows updater is disabled. I didn't open it, but clicked what was supposedly a hyper-link to 'info about the update'. Nothing happened (no connection to 'info') so I said 'no' and rejected/closed the popup. Tonight I tried to do a system restore, and altho the points are all listed and system restore is not turned off, 2 different, recent restore points were rejected.

I looked at the 'event log' and found something happened yesterday concerning the restore function, but it's not something I did.

After researching the problem, I came upon an application called RegCure. The trial version found a bunch of registry errors that CCleaner missed. Is this a viable(worth $29) approach, or does it sound like something worse.

Thanks.

Best, Paul

Hi Tripredacus. Neither, this is a new home computer with a new, virgin hard drive (pulled the Vista drive that came with it and put it in a drawer). It actually works fine other than the restore problem. I couldn't restore from Safe Mode either. Same message.

Does the above event pic have any clues?

The only system futze that I've done in the past 3 months is to add a new local area connection along with MS Loopback Adapter to allow old DOS LPT1 programs to print to a USB printer via a "net use" command . AVG security was disabled on the new network as it wasn't needed. I'm the only user and don't use it on-line.

Outside of malware, the only things I can think of that may cause this 'can't restore' problem are:

1] I set up XP on the hard drive with a single partition, rather than using a seperate, secure partition only for restore files, and

2] I recently started using 'Disk Cleanup' (a Windows utility) again, and the only thing CCleaner doesn't do and this utility does do is something called 'Compress Old Files'. If those old restore files are a target AND are getting compressed, they may be gone forever. I'm also sure that 'Defraging' periodically isn't helping matters with the single partition.

BTW, the AOL issue is resolved. Just takes forever for it to embed an image into an email. I thought the OS had frozen. Just AOL taking it's sweet time. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best, Paul

Have you tried ERD [commander]? It is now Microsofts diagnostic and recovery toolkit, though an old winternals ERD may be easier to come by as M$ only offers the toolkit to Volume License Customers who ALSO sign up for the optional Software Assurance Program.

Many of our deploys have full Oracle installations and ERD is the only tool I have found that will roll those systems back using windows restore points.

Thanks Submix. That figures. I defer to my previous thought about 'MS anything' and the word 'free', and include the acronym BS.

Best, Paul

ERD Commander is still called such, but it's part of the MS DaRT (Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit) available to premier SA customers only. I don't know how anyone got the idea it would be free. WinPE is free, but not ERD.