PC Inhibits KVM Switch Working Correctly

Brando569

I just bought a Trendnet TK-209K to use between my fathers two computers, a dell XPS Gen 4 (his main pc) and an HP Pavillion a6200n (the backup). Since his dell is getting slightly old and tend to crap out at times and not work, he went out and bought the HP but found it to be a PITA everytime he wanted to switch between the two.

The KVM just came in today and everything is hooked up fine but the problem is that the HP halts the boot process because it doesnt find the keyboard and mouse, this could easily be remedied by the "Halt On ...." option in most BIOSes but this option doesnt seem to exist in the Pavillions BIOS. I had it working once (and of course I dont remember how I did it) but now only the Dell will work and the HP screams at me.

Anyone have a solution for me?

Well, first this is HP.

Have you tried this with the other PC running? Also to try with another pair of PC's?

I doubt that may be the KVM powers up slowly, after the pc tries to detect peripherals. But sureli this won't be the case if the other pc is running.

You need to hook up a PS/2 keyboard to make it work. I don't know if the DELL has PS/2 ports but if it has you should have gotten a PS/2 KVM switch from for example IOgear and use it with a PS/2 keyboard and Mouse.

there isnt a "halt on" option in the HP thats the problem, whats weird is that i was messing around with it last night and the hp seemed to boot up fine even when I had it switched to the dell, i guess it was just a fluke that it bugged out on me. thanks for the help though.