onboard LAN disconnects internet (DSL)

Guest vacapp

Guest vacapp

Hi all!

First of all, I am sorry if this post is a bit long, but I try to give you as much info as I can. I was searching through (since 10 days... :wacko: ) the whole internet, but did not find the final solution, but I ve definitely found that there are a lot of people, they understand Windows really deep in this special forum. Maybe someone can give me a hint after checking my issue. :}

My (new) config (old has no problems like below, ISP and connection is the same as before):

MB: GA-EP45-DS3P (Dual LAN)

CPU: E5200

Mem.: GeiL Ultra 2x1024MB DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12, 2.0V) Dual Channel Kit

PSU: Corsair VX550

VGA: Sapphire HD4670 GDDR4 512MB

HDD: WD 160GB SATA (system boot), WD 500GB SATA2, WD 1TB SATA2, Maxtor 40GB IDE (on SATA with converter) - all of them on the ICH10R SATA interface connected

CD-ROM and DVD-RW - both on the only IDE channel

Error(s) description:

It happens randomly, but repeatedly (sometimes after 2hours, sometimes 14hours no special pattern). I am connected to the internet and suddenly I get the message I was disconnected from the internet I should try to connect again(event id:20159). Mostly its no problem, I click on connect and I am reconnected, but sometimes the onboard NIC does not respond (event id:4202), it can't see the ADSL modem ("network connections" reports network cable not connected, "ipconfig /all" reports for NIC: media disconnected) There is no router, only direct enthernet -> DSL modem.

I ve tried followings immediately after disconnection appeared:

- to reconnect the LAN cable between NIC and modem, nothing

- to disable then enable NIC in device manager, nothing

- to uninstall and reinstall NIC, nothing

but

- if I change simply to NIC #2, I have always a connection immediately or

- if I make a reboot it seems everything allright again, both NIC's work.

If I dont reboot and use the second NIC it happens again with this device as above, mostly just drops the internet connection, rarely total media disconnection.

- I ve tried to enable only first or second NIC in BIOS so windows cant detect the another after boot, did not help.

- I ve made a clean reinstall of windows only with one NIC enabled in BIOS so there is no "remained" data in windows registry about the other.

- I ve changed my firewall software (F-Secure Client Security to the simple ZoneAlarm).

- I ve disabled the power saving methods in properties of the NIC, forced to use 100Mbit full duplex connection instead of auto.

- My ADSL modem has an internal fix IP of 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.254), someone suggested to use the fix IP of my LAN card in the same submask so it was changed to 192.168.1.2 (255.255.255.0).

- I use torrent clients, but these disconnections also appear when these programs are not running, only browsing (both Firefox and IE).

- I ve checked both NIC's in BIOS selftest. Seems fine.

- I ve changed the ADSL modem and ethernet cable. Nothing changed.

- I ve made Memtest86+, 10 passes without error.

The problem happens again and again...

There is a utility which can direct contact my ADSL modem, where I see the so called "ADSL uptime". It was never broken during my disconnections. (I ve tested, if I pulled the cable out from the modem it was set the timestamp of uptime to 0.) I dont think it is an ISP problem (media disconnected of NIC), but if I am out of ideas and you can not help either, I will check it also, before I try to RMA the MB.

I have some PPP log entries if it helps, please tell me if I should post and which timeperiod according to the exact disconnection entry.

This post is quite long I know, but I have to mention that I have simultaneous problems with my ATI vga card (BSOD -> ati2dvag.dll, and event id: 1003 immediately; 2 minidumps saved).

If you think it could be some connection between these two things I will let you know further details about this second issue, what I have already tried etc.

Could you give me some ideas? Please help me to find all possible solutions before I have to fight with RMA, because I am not convinced it is a hardware issue.

EDIT: Sorry maybe wrong topic, please move to Networks and the Internet if it fits better! :)

Edited by vacapp

So a summary is that you have the same symptoms with different NICs? Also you have tried new cable and new modem.

1. When you lose connection, and it says media disconnected, check to see if your Link Lights are on both the NIC and the modem.

2. When you lost connection but not media disconnected, do a ping to your modem.

3. Is this cat5 or cat6 cable?

4. Check the environment that your network cable runs. Make sure no transformers around it (like a subwoofer).

5. Check the power setup for the modem. If the modem is on a high utilisation circuit, you could experience a small brown-out for the modem and not know it, but enough to drop the connection.

6. Make sure the modem and cable are not getting hot. I know some modems get very warm, or if you have another thing that gets warm right next to it.

This is a hard situation. I would rather think your video card is a separate issue entirely, but you should make a new post just for that issue, so as not to confuse the two.

ADSL modems provided by your ISP or your own? Having Cable and the modem supplied, I have no access ("locked"), but...

For a Router (your modem similar?), the IP will be assigned to your NIC's (192.168.x.y) using "Auto" and the ISP provides the External (Public) IP to your Modem. Usually, if you use your own Modem, the ISP requires a logging of the MAC to ensure you are indeed paying them. Same thing as with they supply it (MAC already logged in system).

Other thing I could "imagine" is that the phone lines have a lot of interference (my neighborhood does; precludes using Dial-Up/ADSL).

Um, just a thought, but maybe you need some "tweaking" to jive with the ADSL speeds/connections/etc.? Dslreports website has some things that may help...

edit @Tripredacus below - check (duh)!

Edited by submix8c

ADSL modems provided by your ISP or your own? Having Cable and the modem supplied, I have no access ("locked"), but...

For a Router (your modem similar?), the IP will be assigned to your NIC's (192.168.x.y) using "Auto" and the ISP provides the External (Public) IP to your Modem. Usually, if you use your own Modem, the ISP requires a logging of the MAC to ensure you are indeed paying them. Same thing as with they supply it (MAC already logged in system).

Other thing I could "imagine" is that the phone lines have a lot of interference (my neighborhood does; precludes using Dial-Up/ADSL).

Um, just a thought, but maybe you need some "tweaking" to jive with the ADSL speeds/connections/etc.? Dslreports website has some things that may help...

It appears right now there is a problem between the PC and the modem. Your concerns may be valid or justified, but try not to give the OP too much stuff to work on at first.

Guest vacapp

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for wrong topic, please place it to the right one if necessary.

So a summary is that you have the same symptoms with different NICs?
Yes, but this is an onboard DUAL LAN solution. See MB spec.
Also you have tried new cable and new modem.
Yes, to see if it is modem and/or cable issue. It isnt.

1. When you lose connection, and it says media disconnected, check to see if your Link Lights are on both the NIC and the modem.

Ok, I will check it, now when I am connected Connection LED is green, activity LED is blinking during datatransmission orange. -> RJ45 LED

2. When you lost connection but not media disconnected, do a ping to your modem.

I will do it and post result.

3. Is this cat5 or cat6 cable?

cat5 labelled: TYPE CM 24AWG 75˙C (UL) E212964 ETL VERIFIED TU EIA/TIA-568B CAT.5 B2L081

4. Check the environment that your network cable runs. Make sure no transformers around it (like a subwoofer).

The environment didn't change since I ve build the new config, same modem, cable, place of subwoofer (btw. magnetically shielded afaik and rather a small 10cm) ca. 1m away.

5. Check the power setup for the modem. If the modem is on a high utilisation circuit, you could experience a small brown-out for the modem and not know it, but enough to drop the connection.

Although I do not understand this exactly, but I had no problems with my old config and same modem, cable, placement etc. No new electrical devices and as I mentioned with new modem, and cable same situation... How could I check this issue?

6. Make sure the modem and cable are not getting hot. I know some modems get very warm, or if you have another thing that gets warm right next to it.

I see, but with old config no problem after 16hours or more same modem, another person with the another modem I ve tried instead mine no problems, and sometimes I am disconnected only after 1-2 hours and only browsing, no downloads.

This is a hard situation. I would rather think your video card is a separate issue entirely, but you should make a new post just for that issue, so as not to confuse the two.
I see, I mentioned it only, maybe it has something to do with the whole thing (drivers, IRQ etc.) Btw. I think the videocard issue can not be solved, ATI drivers are junk as I ve found in a lot of forums... Someone has luck, others s... But I wont go in detail if you think it has nothing to do with the disconnection situation. ;) Edited by vacapp

Guest vacapp
Have you tried updating the drivers for both NIC's and the video card?

EDIT:

Oh, and welcome to THE forums! :hello:

Thanks for the kind help.

Yes, of course, but I was wondering if I should try an older version, because I had about 2 weeks no issue with LAN but I can not remember (new config has been built 1 month ago) when did I update to the latest and how many days was everything ok with the newest. I was wondering I should try again the first used driver.

As for the videocard, as I posted in my previous reply, I wont confuse you, maybe it has nothing to do with LAN, but now I try ATI catalyst version 8.12. I had problems with 9.11 and 9.2 sooner or later after installing... Whats more when I was just surfing on the internet or used some programs like paint etc. not even gaming... I got BSOD, freeze :thumbup:angry:

Urg! Just realized; maybe related, maybe not (after re-reading first post)...

Some MoBo's have a bad habit of assigning the same resources (e.g. IRQ, Memory) to several devices. If by some strange chance your Video is conflicting/sharing with the NIC's then you may be getting a Clobbered situation (timing?).

Current MoBo doesn't do this (except for USB and Video), but I think my other one does (NIC and Video). Check for something like that in Accessories->System Information under Hardware Resources->Conflicts/Sharing.

Guest vacapp
It has been supplied by the ISP. I do not understand the second sentence sorry?!
I see what you mean, I have to give a fix IP address to the NIC, and the ADSL modem gets the temporary IP from ISP. I have to login with accountname and password. No MAC required to the authentication.
The line was checked in last year november as I changed to a higher bandwidth. Not the best result, because I am not close enough to the DSLAM server. Anyway I get about 6Mbit on the 8Mbit line. There have been no problems since 2 years with disconnections. (I ve used 8Mbit line first.)
No idea, but would it explain the "media disconnected" after/during such a disconnection? I dont think so. If I pull out the line from modem and the internet line drops, it never happens a media disconnection... :wacko:
Urg! Just realized; maybe related, maybe not (after re-reading first post)...

Some MoBo's have a bad habit of assigning the same resources (e.g. IRQ, Memory) to several devices. If by some strange chance your Video is conflicting/sharing with the NIC's then you may be getting a Clobbered situation (timing?).

Current MoBo doesn't do this (except for USB and Video), but I think my other one does (NIC and Video). Check for something like that in Accessories->System Information under Hardware Resources->Conflicts/Sharing.

Yes I was wondering what process is able to do such behavior in Windows because I am not familiar in this deep, and I see in this forum a lot of people, which understand every registrykey, process, logs, event id's and the relation of each part of the system. :yes: Although you can see I did a lot of research I was not able to interprete all necessary details probably.

I dont know whether it is important but before I reinstalled windows, my F-Secure firewall claimed sometimes that rasautou.exe wants to modify the registry and as the firewall refused it, I often got a "media disconnected" situation not only internet drop. I checked my comp with some spyware and antivirus software, offline and online solutions, I had no spywares, rootkits, viruses etc. This rasautou.exe problem was gone after reinstall of windows and to be sure, I disabled it among the "services", but the disconnections were not solved.

What should I check under Hardware Resources exactly? I found following entries (see links):

IRQ-s

Conflicts/Sharing

Edited by vacapp

May i suggest a nice and simple solution? This will save you time and nerves.

Buy new NIC, they cost 5-15 euros, and the more expensive ones are even 10/100/1000mbits.

If you buy a cheap one, it for sure will not need an IRQ Intrerupt, so you may sleep well ;) Else you may have to juggle between the PCI slots a bit.

Guest vacapp
May i suggest a nice and simple solution? This will save you time and nerves.

Buy new NIC, they cost 5-15 euros, and the more expensive ones are even 10/100/1000mbits.

If you buy a cheap one, it for sure will not need an IRQ Intrerupt, so you may sleep well ;) Else you may have to juggle between the PCI slots a bit.

Maybe it could solve the issue, but yeah, I bought a new config with dual LAN and I should buy another LAN card... :wacko: You do not think it should be an option, do you?

Guest vacapp

As for case 2, it happened again. The internet connection was dropped but ADSL modem lights were on for power, ethernet and ADSL link also. I ve also checked my "ADSL Uptime", it was not interrupted.

UPDATE: Additional thing has happened right now, there was a storm in our city and the ADSL connection was dropped definitely by the ISP and my ADSL Uptime was interrupted, but the "redial if line is dropped" window was not prompted automatically, connection seemed to be still online, but I ve realised there is no internet, because the websites could not be opened. :rolleyes:

So it has definitely another behavior if the ISP causes the internet connection drop!

Edited by vacapp

Guest vacapp

Now it happened case 1, when the internet disconnected, NIC resulted media disconnection also.

As for modem lights: power, ethernet, adsl link were on and green, but NIC showed lights off. After I rebooted, first I ve gone to BIOS LAN test, it was fine, results showed everything is OK. :wacko: . I could immediately connect to the internet after reboot. Today this was the second disconnection first only internet, now NIC too. Yesterday I was online more than 14 hours and no disconnections... :}

I will attach my PPP.log in two parts, maybe someone can give it a hint...

1. disconn. - [196] 11:31:57:828: PPPEMSG_LineDown recvd, hPort=4 -> ppplog1

2. disconn. - [196] 17:54:52:875: PPPEMSG_LineDown recvd, hPort=4 -> ppplog2

Can someone give a solution or at least an explanation whats going on??? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vacapp

Funny thing; I have the same motherboard; this morning it wouldn't connect either- I had no problems with it for months. I have a separate windows installion on another hd that I booted to and it worked fine. I ended up switching the the cable to my other port then disabled/ enabled my network card in hardware properties and it worked. It's just odd, that we have the same motherboard with network problems. Probabally is driver related.

Guest vacapp
Funny thing; I have the same motherboard; this morning it wouldn't connect either- I had no problems with it for months. I have a separate windows installion on another hd that I booted to and it worked fine. I ended up switching the the cable to my other port then disabled/ enabled my network card in hardware properties and it worked. It's just odd, that we have the same motherboard with network problems. Probabally is driver related.
It would be no problem if it happens once a month, but it happens almost every day... Did you update some drivers(LAN, graphic card, chipset, bios) recently or did you do any other changes maybe (new hardware, software etc.) which could explain your situation? I could not find any solution or explanation although I tried a lot of settings and changes etc. :wacko: You can see above, although nobody answers since I ve gave the requested info... :}