How good is AVG Anti-Virus (really how good is it)

G'day,

I am about to download a free software called AVG Anti-Virus v6.0 on Windows XP Pro, you can get your free copy of the AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System - AVG 6.0 Free Edition and you will be able to use it without any limitations for life of the product.

At http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

Download, install and use AVG 6.0 Free Edition and get:

AVG Resident Protection

AVG Email Scanner

AVG On-Demand Scanner

Scheduled Tests

Free Virus Database Updates

Automatic Update feature

Easy-To-Use Interface

Automatic Healing of infected files

AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files

If you are interested in our offer and you would like to get your free copy of AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System, you will need to :

Agree to the AVG Free Edition license agreement

Fill in the simple questionaire form

Download the program distribution package

Check your email - you will get your private AVG serial number via email.

Install the program

The real question is how good is it.

I have got Norton Anti-Virus 2000 I can only used this software for 1 whole year and I have to pay to re-register again for another year to used the live update to get the latest virus patch file.

I am from Australia and it going to cost me double to pay the register for Norton in Amercia, has anybody used this software called AVG Anti-Virus.

Thankyou for your time

As far as i can tell AVG is a pretty good AV program. I use it on my 98 system, and its nice. But then again i dont really use my 98 system enough to tel you the ins and outs. Xperties(A Admin @ MSFN) uses it on XP, and i have heard him saying good things...and if he likes it, it must be atleast halfway decent.....

-Drew

• 6 years later...

AVG isn't the best out there. Antivir (free-av.com) is the bomb. i have had clients come into my shop with avg 8 free (and pro) and ive scanend with it and found nothing. took it off, installed Antivir and the virus warnings came flooding in. i would not recomend avg to a soul.

AVG isn't the best out there. Antivir (free-av.com) is the bomb. i have had clients come into my shop with avg 8 free (and pro) and ive scanend with it and found nothing. took it off, installed Antivir and the virus warnings came flooding in. i would not recomend avg to a soul.

Besides the fact that, as already pointed out, this is a 6 years old thread about AVG 6.0 :realmad: , may I point out that actually installing an antivirus on a system suspected to be infected may trigger a destructive reaction from really nasty malwares/virii?

Or at least you have no guarantee that the (already loaded) hypothetical virus may not affect the installation or the working of the antivirus you are installing.

The correct procedure would be that of scanning the drive(s) OFFLINE, using a PE bootdisk or slaving the drive to a working PC.

jaclaz