[Release] Adobe Reader 9.1 Corporate/Lite

Guest XhmikosR

Guest XhmikosR

As stated here, give me some time. If someone wants to use other people's releases, that's fine by me, but always remember I cannot guarantee that they work as they should be.

Hi guys,

I found a problem on Corporate version (I installed italian version by cybpsych).

It's not able to display properties of pdf files... if I open right-click menu, I see all blank fields in the "PDF" tab.

Full version displays them fine :D

This is due to AcroRd32Info.exe missing, I guess :)

Guest XhmikosR
Hi guys,

I found a problem on Corporate version (I installed italian version by cybpsych).

It's not able to display properties of pdf files... if I open right-click menu, I see all blank fields in the "PDF" tab.

No, it works fine with my English Corporate version. That is why I told you that I cannot guarantee that everything is going to work as it should be if you use other people's versions. Install my English Corporate version and tell us the results (uninstall any other versions first).

Note: It will take more than I expected to finish all the transforms. Hopefully in a couple of days I'll have finished the Lite version's transforms.

Edited by XhmikosR

Hi guys,

confirm the issue.

it happens to all my Lite/Corporate packs because of one thing that has been removed since day 1: acrord32info.exe

here's how I tested (to find out if AcroRd32Info.exe required to display the PDF info):

1) Installed any of my Lite/Corporate packs: PDF info not shown in File Properties | PDF tab. AcroRd32Info.exe not loaded (expected)

2) Removed all Lite/Corporate packs.

3) Installed Adobe Reader Full en-US (official): PDF info shown. AcroRd32Info.exe is loaded.

4) Closed File Properties. Checked the Task Manager: AcroRd32Info.exe exited.

5) Opened File Properties | PDF tab again: Info shown. AcroRd32Info.exe loaded.

Packs that I tested to confirm (PDF info not shown; AcroRd32Info.exe not loaded):

1) All my v9.1 Lite & Corporate (Eng & non-Eng)

2) Official v9.1 Lite & Corporate in post #1 (Eng) [note: XhmikosR tested OK on Corporate)

3) Shark007's v9.0 Lite (Revised) [note: This updated pack has the AcroRd32Info.exe disabled and implemented subsequently on other packs]

Pack that I tested to displays the PDF info (AcroRd32Info.exe loaded):

1) Official v9.1 Full (Eng)

2) Shark007's v9.0 Lite (First release) [note: From v9.0 thread, this first release did not disable AcroRd32Info.exe (solution not known yet)]

My thoughts: Impact is minimal when PDF info is not shown on File Properties | PDF tab. I'd rather have the AcroRd32Info.exe disabled entirely.

*Update1*: Here's a crude way to hide the PDF tab in File Properties:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F9DB5320-233E-11D1-9F84-707F02C10627}]

There are more registry keys (PDF Shell-related) which I'm not confident in removing. The key above, however, hides the PDF tab.

*Update2: It seems that by removing the registry key above, it doesn't just hide the PDF tab ... it also turned off 'AcroRd32Info.exe' from being loaded when browsing PDF files (tested with Adobe Reader Full) <-- this stops the pre-fetching.

Edited by cybpsych

No, it works fine with my English Corporate version. That is why I told you that I cannot guarantee that everything is going to work as it should be if you use other people's versions. Install my English Corporate version and tell us the results (uninstall any other versions first).

Sorry XhmikosR,

but the problem is present with your english corporate version too :(

I made some screenshot:

- Adobe Reader 9.1 Corporate

corporatep.jpg

- Adobe Reader 9.1 Full

fullp.jpg

Guest XhmikosR

Then why are we discussing this, really? If someone wants all the features of AR, then feel free to use the official AR. You asked for a Corporate version, and here it is. Personally, I don't plan to add back anything or change any registry keys so easily.

My plans for now is to finish all the transforms so in the future in would be much easier to update all the languages.

Hi.

Just to make a small note about the PDF tab in file properties...

The integration of PDF information into the shell is via a DLL file called pdfshell.dll typically located in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX. When PDF files are selected in Windows Explorer, a hook to pdfshell.dll calls on AcroRd32Info.exe to load the PDF file in question, extract the required information, and then pass it back to the shell for display. The shell integration is also what allows for the PDF tab in the file properties.

What everyone has surmised so far is correct. If AcroRd32Info.exe is disabled, then the PDF tab will contain no information. There's really nothing wrong with leaving the tab blank. However, for purists, who want to remove the tab in a very simple way, you can run the following command in the Command Prompt:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\pdfshell.dll" /u

Note: You have to replace the path shown above to the path applicable for your installation. For typical default installations, the path should be as shown above.

Upon running the above command, a prompt should be displayed showing that the DLL has be successful unregistered. If the prompt shows an error, its most likely either the path is incorrect, or the DLL has not been registered, or has already been unregistered.

Once you unregister the DLL, the PDF tab will no longer be shown. This is a pretty clean and simple way to remove the PDF tab.

Please note that I'm no expert on these matters, but everything I've said above seems to work for me, and this is based on stuff I've Googled. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that unregistering the pdfshell.dll file has no negative effects. I've even tested uninstalling the Adobe Reader Lite package and it uninstalls cleanly. Reinstalling brings back the PDF tab until I've unregistered the DLL again.

Finally, just want to note that I agree with XhmikosR that this "problem" really isn't a big issue. Everything works great as it is. If anyone wants the full features, there's always the official Reader. Otherwise, the PDF tab can be left alone or removed easily by unregistering the DLL (no need to play around with the registry, as the registration process does it all for you).

Thanks everyone.

To those who wanted to remove the PDF tab (unregister DLL method)...

1) split the exe into its modules: abc.sfx, config.txt, archive.7z (for 7zip SFX distribution only)

2) re-edit the config.txt

3) put this line RunProgram="regsvr32 \"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat\\ActiveX\\pdfshell.dll\" /u /s" after RunProgram="AcroRead.msi"

4) recompile everything back to exe: copy /b abc.sfx + config.txt + archive.7z archive.exe

config.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

GUIFlags="4+8+16"

RunProgram="AcroRead.msi"

RunProgram="regsvr32 \"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat\\ActiveX\\pdfshell.dll\" /u /s"

;!@InstallEnd@!

this will unregister pdfshell.dll in silent mode after installation of Adobe Reader.

tested on my Eng Lite and Corp.

Credits: RogerDB for the tips! XhmikosR & Shark007 for their excellent work done in lite-ing AR ;)

Edited by cybpsych