[Release] Adobe Reader 9.1 Corporate/Lite

Guest XhmikosR

Guest XhmikosR

For the time being, I want to remove everything that can safely be removed and is not needed by most people. That's why I ask. And I don't really think that there are a lot of things that I can do regarding loading time, except removing some plugins which I don't like doing it because they are all needed.

Here is a test build v.22. Download link at first post. I tested both IE and FF pdf integration, and everything was fine. Since no one mentioned anything about stamps, I removed them also, but it's not something final.

Remember to always uninstall the previous version first before install any new one.

Edited by XhmikosR

SHERIFA. the tutorial is for you to manually make a Lite version from ANY localizations.

download the official BG package & follow the tutorial to trim the features down.

no point using EN as the base and add language-specific files onto it (not practical).

Here is a test build v.21. Download link at first post. I tested both IE and FF pdf integration, and everything was fine. Since no one mentioned anything about stamps, I removed them also, but it's not something final.

Remember to always uninstall the previous version first before install any new one.

An additional level of comfort: PDF integration in Opera 10 works fine (always been) :thumbup

Guest XhmikosR
my suggestion is to keep the pack as is, but add optional tutorial to remove Form Filling and Stamps.

I will not remove form filling, but I'll add it to the tutorial. About the stamps, I don't see any objections for now, but I'll wait a little more of course. Anyway, if there are no problems with v.22, then most of the stuff is done. :)

Edited by XhmikosR

hi XhmikosR, I just noticed a problem opening PDF Forms ...

PDF Form Source: http://www.goeforms.com/services/papertopdf_samples.php

MSFN Source: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=778405

From what I observed, the PDF Forms can't be opened by the v9.1 Lite (from build 21 and all the way back to build 6). Reader crashes upon opening these PDF Forms. The error msg points to acroform.api file.

Can you please confirm this error on your side? Maybe it's an isolated case, I'm not sure.

Guest XhmikosR
hi XhmikosR, I just noticed a problem opening PDF Forms ...

PDF Form Source: http://www.goeforms.com/services/papertopdf_samples.php

MSFN Source: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=778405

From what I observed, the PDF Forms can't be opened by the v9.1 Lite (from build 21 and all the way back to build 6). Reader crashes upon opening these PDF Forms. The error msg points to acroform.api file.

Can you please confirm this error on your side? Maybe it's an isolated case, I'm not sure.

No, it crashes also here. BUT, it also crashes with Shark007's 9.0 Lite version. This doesn't happen of course with the normal 9.1 version. It is something that was removed, I'll try to find what it is, but I can't promise anything. You could also try debugging this; that would help a lot. :)

Guest XhmikosR

OK, I found what caused that. Apparently, the DigSig plugin is needed in order to open those pdfs. I'll post a new version tomorrow.

EDIT:

Updated to v.23. Hopefully everything will work as usual, but there is a small growth in size. Download links at first post. I'll update the tutorial tomorrow.

Edited by XhmikosR

Feedback on build 23:- Works fine on certain PDF Forms but not all (based on the sample links)

"quote_form.pdf" & "po_form.pdf" - Open is ok. Editing is ok. Last entry is to digitally sign the form. Since i don't have any digital certificate installed, clicking this entry will crash the reader. Error points to digsig.api.

"fields_example_final.pdf" & "membership_cert.pdf", - Can't open file. Totally crashed the reader. Error points to acroform.api.

The rest of the forms are ok.

Guest XhmikosR

Updated to v.25. Download links at first post. PPKLite plugin was also needed to open those pdfs. Hopefully form filling should be 100% functional. Also I disabled the warning that you cannot save a form.

I don't know if it's worth the growth of the size though, but since I won't remove form filling then it's better to have it fully functional. I want to hear what other people think.

I don't see any increase in time when opening pdfs, and every pdf I tried is working. Please do test it thoroughly and report here any problems you may encounter. Always uninstall any previous version, before installing a new one.

good work, XhmikosR! Will test this release once i'm back in the office :)

hope that the updated tutorial will be posted soon!

p/s: Dont forget to include additional steps (optional) to remove Form Filling features & files. Personally, I just want to make a bare essential package, i.e. Adobe Reader Extreme <-- Shark007 had this before for v8.x :D

Guest XhmikosR

I'll wait to see if there are any problems with the latest release, and if not then I'll update the tutorial. I've been thinking to release an "ultra-lite" version too, but I don't want to have like 10 different versions.:)

BTW, the "ultra-lite" version should be like 16.5 MB compressed (without form filling, ppklite, digsig, help and some other stuff).

v.26 is uploaded. Same as v.25. Just added a description to the Start Menu shortcut.