[Release] Adobe Reader 9.1 Corporate/Lite

Guest XhmikosR

Guest XhmikosR

I've already found the registry key for that, but I'll do some tests and if everything goes well I'll post tomorrow the new version.

Guest XhmikosR

I couldn't help it, and before I go to sleep I wanted to release the new version for everyone to test it.

v9.1.0.10: Download at first post

Changes since v9.1.0.6

* Changed BrandName to Adobe Reader 9.1 Lite

* Removed AdobeCollabSyncExe

* Removed some EULA stuff

* Removed "Create PDF using Acrobat.com" from the toolbar

Uninstall older versions of Adobe Reader Lite 9.1 and then install the new version in order to test it.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems. Otherwise if everything is fine, I'll update the tutorial and that version will be added in MajorGeeks.com.

EDIT:

Could somebody inform me why exactly rt3d.dll is needed? I included it because some people asked for it, but i don't know why it may be useful.

Edited by XhmikosR

gave v9.1.0.9 a run ...

confirm: "Create PDF using Acrobat.com" icon is removed from the toolbar.

not working: 3D PDF from link provided by darks0ul. Same error.

from what darks0ul mentioned earlier, 3D PDF support only provided by Atmosphere_3D component (which is removed in Lite). therefore, my question is same as XhmikosR, why rt3d.dll is needed anyway?

might as well remove this rt3dll.dll and gain a 2MB+ space ;)

Edited by cybpsych

Guest XhmikosR
gave v9.1.0.9 a run ...

confirm: "Create PDF using Acrobat.com" icon is removed from the toolbar.

not working: 3D PDF from link provided by darks0ul. Same error.

from what darks0ul mentioned earlier, 3D PDF support only provided by Atmosphere_3D component (which is removed in Lite). therefore, my question is same as XhmikosR, why rt3d.dll is needed anyway?

might as well remove this rt3dll.dll and gain a 2MB+ space ;)

Since Atmosphere_3D is removed 3D is not working with Lite version. That is something known, you don't have to report it. But I really want to know why some people wanted rt3d.dll to be included. And BTW, it's not 2mb, it's less than 900KB, but nevertheless if it's not needed I would like to remove it, but I need to know what it does exactly.

Thanks for the update.

Will you post all languages?

Thnx.

Not in the near future, I'm sorry. But I'll probably do it sometime in the future when I complete most of my changes.

Edited by XhmikosR

Guest XhmikosR

So why don't you create your Lite version and use that?;) I only included rt3d.dll because many people asked for it. If you have a good reason why rt3d.dll shouldn't be included I'd be glad to know about it. Just that I could save less than 900kb isn't enough. I've already reduced the size of AR Lite since my first release, and I'm willing to reduce it more, but you know, I'd like to know why.

Edited by XhmikosR

LOL i have created my own Lite, although not as extensive as yours ;) that's why your work is very much appreciated; especially taking up the challenge of continue Shark007's excellent work :)

i'm totally a fresh noob in editing MSI .. only started using InstallShield just to follow Shark007's guide ;) That's why my own Lite (EN) follow Shark007's and your instructions only :)

anyway, i won't share out my Lite because it'd be redundant anyway.

do keep up the work!

EDIT:

Could somebody inform me why exactly rt3d.dll is needed? I included it because some people asked for it, but i don't know why it may be useful.

rt3d.dll is needed together with Atmosphere_3D to have 3d PDF full support.

If you add it as standalone it's useless, so you can remote it ;)

BTW, I really appreciate your work (and Shark007 for 9.0) creating this Lite version but I'm starting to wonder if it is still useful nowadays.

I mean, I recently installed full version of 9.1 on several desktops / notebooks with standard components for testing and it takes just 4/5 seconds to load with all its plugins.

Moreover you are sure it supports all PDF files you can find on the web (including 3D ones, etc.) with no worries to fight against missing dlls or similar stuff.

I can also understand there are people just want basic pdf support (because they have old pcs with few ram, for example) but for them I suggest to install "Foxit Reader" because it does all Adobe Lite does and it's even faster :D

Just my 2 cents ;)

Edited by provolino

Hi.

I would just like to add to the sentiments stated by Provolino, namely appreciation and gratitude to both XhmikosR and Shark007 for their work (both current and previous) on creating a Lite version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Thanks again to both of you!

I understand completely that Provolino might be wondering if the Lite version is still useful. I, however, completely believe that your repackaging work is still COMPLETELY valid.

The main benefit of the Lite version would be the removal of the AcroRd32Info process. This alone is of immense benefit, since the process is a resource consumer and in most cases, completely unwanted - leading to quite a number of complaints regard it as a security risk or even be called malware itself. Note that even in the 9.0 Lite version, the PDFShell.dll explorer hook is still registered, but without the AcroRd32Info process, system impact is non-existent to minimal.

I believe Shark007 made very wise decisions for removing plugins that are not used by a large majority of Adobe Acrobat Reader users. I congratulate XhmikosR for keeping with these decisions, including the removal of all Adobe updater components. A lot of these components are simply not needed. The updater alone causes irresponsible resource use. If I need to update, I'm more than happy to uninstall the older version and install a newer one.

All in all, the Lite series for Adobe Acrobat Reader is an excellent product. It works just the way most people would want it to work. Adobe should be ashamed for not providing the option to install lighter versions of it software. However, its completely natural that once a company gets a certain measure of success, it assumes its smarter than its users. This leads to a great degree of arrogance in installing bloated software that just ignores the needs of users.

As for the suggestion to use Foxit Reader... well, is it really a good replacement?

The answer is completely dependent on the individual using it. I have installed and used Foxit. Its a very good piece of software. However, there are drawbacks. My main issue with Foxit is that it doesn't render certain documents correctly. By this I mean that the document is still readable, but there are formatting errors (elements moved out of place), and even fonts being displayed differently (slightly lower quality).

So in summary, the reason I'm posting this is simply to state that I truly strongly believe that there is a place in this world for the Adobe Acrobat Reader Lite repackagings. In a perfect world, software would be light on resources, fast and work perfectly. However, this is not a perfect world... but having people who are willing to spend their time and effort to do something about it, makes things all that little bit better.

So thanks once again to both XhmikosR and Shark007. Your contributions are immensely appreciated!

PS: IMHO, rt3d.dll can be removed. If users REALLY needed 3D in their PDF, they can use the full version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Alternatively, perhaps an archive file can be provided with the necessary files that can be copied in to add 3D support and provided as an optional download to add on to the Lite version.

Guest XhmikosR

New version for testing. Please test it thoroughly and report any problems you may encounter.

Changes since v9.1.0.6:

* Removed _TEMP_MeasurementFiles, AdobeCollabSyncExe, EULA stuff, IDTemplates, Optional_English, rt3d.dll

* Removed "Create PDF using Acrobat.com" from the toolbar

* Changed BrandName and ProductName to Adobe Reader 9.1 Lite

Download @ first post. The tutorial would be updated if everything goes well with the latest release.

I have some more ideas for AR Lite, but I need some time first to do some testing.

Thanks everyone for your help.:)

Hi.

I would just like to add to the sentiments stated by Provolino, namely appreciation and gratitude to both XhmikosR and Shark007 for their work (both current and previous) on creating a Lite version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Thanks again to both of you!

I understand completely that Provolino might be wondering if the Lite version is still useful. I, however, completely believe that your repackaging work is still COMPLETELY valid.

The main benefit of the Lite version would be the removal of the AcroRd32Info process. This alone is of immense benefit, since the process is a resource consumer and in most cases, completely unwanted - leading to quite a number of complaints regard it as a security risk or even be called malware itself. Note that even in the 9.0 Lite version, the PDFShell.dll explorer hook is still registered, but without the AcroRd32Info process, system impact is non-existent to minimal.

I believe Shark007 made very wise decisions for removing plugins that are not used by a large majority of Adobe Acrobat Reader users. I congratulate XhmikosR for keeping with these decisions, including the removal of all Adobe updater components. A lot of these components are simply not needed. The updater alone causes irresponsible resource use. If I need to update, I'm more than happy to uninstall the older version and install a newer one.

All in all, the Lite series for Adobe Acrobat Reader is an excellent product. It works just the way most people would want it to work. Adobe should be ashamed for not providing the option to install lighter versions of it software. However, its completely natural that once a company gets a certain measure of success, it assumes its smarter than its users. This leads to a great degree of arrogance in installing bloated software that just ignores the needs of users.

As for the suggestion to use Foxit Reader... well, is it really a good replacement?

The answer is completely dependent on the individual using it. I have installed and used Foxit. Its a very good piece of software. However, there are drawbacks. My main issue with Foxit is that it doesn't render certain documents correctly. By this I mean that the document is still readable, but there are formatting errors (elements moved out of place), and even fonts being displayed differently (slightly lower quality).

So in summary, the reason I'm posting this is simply to state that I truly strongly believe that there is a place in this world for the Adobe Acrobat Reader Lite repackagings. In a perfect world, software would be light on resources, fast and work perfectly. However, this is not a perfect world... but having people who are willing to spend their time and effort to do something about it, makes things all that little bit better.

So thanks once again to both XhmikosR and Shark007. Your contributions are immensely appreciated!

PS: IMHO, rt3d.dll can be removed. If users REALLY needed 3D in their PDF, they can use the full version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Alternatively, perhaps an archive file can be provided with the necessary files that can be copied in to add 3D support and provided as an optional download to add on to the Lite version.

RogerDB, thanks for sharing your opinion. i agree with everything you have said here.

Also, the fact that your post is well thought out and presented shows, you care about this project.

to add, you went through the hassle of registering on this forum simply to share you opinion.

My hat is off to you, I truly appreciated reading your post.

shark

Guest XhmikosR

New version for testing. Please test it thoroughly and report any problems you may encounter.

* When uninstalling, remove the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Synchronizer\9.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\9.0\DiskCabs

* Removed Enterprise, Import3D_A3DUtility.exe, PDFSigQFormalRep.pdf and Resource_English

Download @ first post.

The only thing I'm not able to find, is the registry key for the toolbar options when someone views a pdf via FF or IE. If someone else knows about it, let me know in order to remove the "Create PDF using Acrobat.com" from there also.