Revolutions Pack 9.7

The glitch in its current form is not really usable. It would need some additional work, and blurring of the underlying background, that is if this feature/glitch will even be considered at all.

I noticed that this can also be done by right clicking on the title bar of a window (either restored or maximized state) and then left clicking the start button, but this takes more tries before it happens.

• 1 month later...
Tihiy, would you please consider looking into LDT garbage collecting, or some form of LDT salvation, please? :angel

I've been looking into things like this too often for confort, of late:

Well red circles are frustrating but that's how it is.

Windows has LDT cleanup (not really effective though) which is triggered when system is out of segments starting a program. RP calls that cleanup when LDT is lower than 20%.

Yesterday, it dawned on me I might be using too big values for USERMaxHeapSize and GDIMaxHeapSize. So I set both to 4096 and the red is gone. Yay! :D

Back after a two year leave from the Internet. Looking at my desktop, the 32bit icons show a black alpha channel. Can't recall anyone having reported this for the reason I suspect (in my case): long time ago I changed shell icon size from 32px to 24px and most likely the GDI function(s) that resize the 32bit icons don't play nice with the alpha channel.

Now, I don't care much about this issue since I'm mostly working in maximized state with whatever application needed so the desktop is way behind all the time, but just for the sake of it: can it be worked around by using oher GDI functions (or GDIplus if not too cumbersome)?

System specs (if needed): P III 667MHz, 512 MB SDRAM, video nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 AGP8x (running in 2x mode due to chipset limitation), video driver 45.32 (latest available from manufacturer MSI, since recent ones disable AGP texture acceleration in DirectX).

OS: 98SE heavily upgraded, RP 9.7.2, KernelEx 4.5.1 installed minutes ago (former version 4.5 RC5).

Glad to be back here among friends, but sad to be forced to use XP for Internet due to lack of drivers for the GPRS modem. *sigh*

• 1 month later...

@ Tihiy:

Apologies if I've raised this issue before; can't remember and search doesn't help. :(

One of my applications, designed to load and display VersionInfo and icons stored in exe, dll, ocx and other similar files, crashes the current thread when enumerating the dlls in the System folder. Particularly, it crashes on uberskin.dll and comctlv8.dll.

Fortunately, it's a separate thread so the application continues enumerating the rest of the files, but the crashes are somewhat disturbing, more so for a user unfamiliar with the application, who might think of it as being buggy.

Of all the libraries in the System folder, only those two exhibit that behavior, therefore I consider this as being the fault of RP.

The application is using LoadLibrary() with the flag LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE.

Same thing happens in Total Commander while launching the Lister on the files with the FileInfo plug-in installed, which essentially does the same thing (amongst others).

The application is called VersionInfo Lister and can be found on my AHK homepage (see sig below). Both executable and source code are available for download.

If that would be too hard or impossible to fix, at least I'd like to know it so I could add a warning/disclaimer for the user, in my application. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a workaround to the problem with Miranda IM not showing icons with RP which is using a different set of icons for Miranda.

The ones I chose to use are available in here : http://addons.miranda-im.org/details.php?action=viewfile&id=755

Installation was not so straightforward but it fixes the missing icons problem very nicely :D

I was wondering if there was a way to figure out how exactly skins work, because I'd like to try and make a RP for Windows 95.

I recall that some versions of UberSkin (part of the RP that was developed first separately) worked on Windows 95 with IE 5.5 installed. At least somebody posted a screenshot on this forum.

It's hard for me to explain, but I'll try..

When you apply the uberskin, how is it able to modify the icons and everything without actually touching the system files? How do the files included with the uberskin modify the entire windows GUI without changing the system files? Is there like a special type of command or script that changes the directory of the icons to where the uberskin files are?

• 1 month later...

Tihiy,

there's a bug with Revolutions Pack 9.7.2:

I use several icons made with a bmp file, I rename with 'ico' extension.

Normally, the background become transparent when it is displayed.

If 'Big icons' is ticked in RPConfig, it is fine.post-200646-0-45847200-1321380472_thumb.

But when I untick it, the background for all these icons appears!post-200646-0-89433700-1321380479_thumb.

Is there any workaround?? :(