Revolutions Pack 9.7

Revolutions Pack 9.6.1

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/RP9.exe

Fixed: various problems on Windows Me.

Fixed: error in shadow algorithm could cause crash in rp8.dll.

Changed: mysterious SYS is now LDT in Ctrl-Alt-Del dialog and shows LDT, not (only) global heap stats.

All the polish characters in the "Close Program" window are replaced with "_"
I dunno how did i screwed this up. I just copied RC Xeno86 gave to me.

Hi Tihiy,

Nice !

You are too quick for me with updating. Just wanted to report an issue, when I discovered your new version 9.61. So I tried the new version.

May I nevertheless report ? I have WIN 98 SE version 4.10.2222, SESP2 beta 4, KernelEx 4.5 beta 2, MDIE6CU33, flashplayer 9 (last version for unsupported OS), Java 6.20 and now RP 9.61 (oh yes and 98mp10 from MGDX).

My problem is when changing "themes", NOT (vista/XP or other -) "icon schemes": the RPconfig window just freezes (hourglass on the RPconfig-window, no other impact). ==> "control/alt delete" and then "end task", ... and everything is fine again.

... Except a black line on the desktop corresponding to the bottom line of the RPconfig window (which is not there anymore after "end task"). Can be removed with "show desktop".

I had this several times now, with RP 9.55 and 9.60 and now also with 9.61.

Because I need to install RP in safe mode (there is a message of "pending system updates" when I install in real mode), I had the idea to uncheck, one by one, the startup items in msconfig (partly shown in the taskbar (near the clock)). I first uncecked Acronis, then T- clock and then SunJava_update. When I removed SunJava_update, the computer did not finish startup (even if nearly completed) and was totally frozen (I needed to use the power button). Then I had scandisk and the message that the amount of free space is being reported incorrectly. (I believe to have had this already before with one of your two earlier versions (9.55 or 9.60), but then when unchecking another startup program, most probably T-clock). When I chose "fix it": I then can change the RP9-themes without any problem.

It seems to me that the message "amount of free space is being reported incorrectly" comes back more often in the last weeks or month. Is this the end of my ten year old computer ?

Or does this has someting to do with Java, T-clock or RP 9 ?

(By the way, if I use the windows scandisk (not the DOS one), it often reports MS-Dos mode name lenght errors with Macromedia - I have asked (win-)scandisk (in the advanced tab) to report these and then I am telling (win-)scandisk to free the space (not to recover). Could it be that win-scandisk speeks another language then DOS-scandisk and they don't understand each other ?)

Sorry for this lenghty message, but I do not know who on my computer is responsible for the fact (... or is it me ?) that your fine program doesn't work correctly !

Kind regards

Roger

It seems to me that the message "amount of free space is being reported incorrectly" comes back more often in the last weeks or month. Is this the end of my ten year old computer ?

This isn't a dangerous error whatsoever and is just a shortfall of FAT and calculating free drive space. It's really easy for the free space value to get out of sync with how much free space is actually left, isn't a sincere problem, and gets fixed nearly every time scandisk runs. Basically, if incorrect free space is the only error found when scandisk runs, then you essentially had no errors found; scandisk only ran because of an improper shutdown / restart just to make sure no files were damaged.

And no, neither Java, T-clock nor RP 9 are causing the incorrect free space issue (though Java isn't helping if disabling its updater means your system freezes and needs a hard restart which will cause scandisk to run).

Queue

Hi Tihiy!

Thank you for this new release.

A few things I have noticed:

1°) Automatic refresh of display is not always working, when I delete or copy/paste a file or a folder. I have to press F5 to correct it.

The problem was already present in Revolutions Pack 9.6.0 RC but seems to be more often with 9.6.1

2°) 'Align to Grid' for desktop icons is unstable in RP 9.6.1 (instead of previous releases): sometimes unticked, sometimes disappears from right-click.

3°) Recycle bin gives me sometimes an 'Access impossible to %c' error when emptying it.

4°) Scroll bar not following the cursor when you scroll up or down in a file (already here in previous releases).

Best regards.

Charles.

... though Java isn't helping if disabling its updater means your system freezes and needs a hard restart which will cause scandisk to run).

Thank you Queue,

definitively disabled the updater and no more problem so far !

Roger

Hi RodgerOver,

don't be scare with this "error" !

I have scandisk enabled in MSDOS.SYS to automatically run in Dos mode after any bad shutdown, and I find it almost everytime afterward. ;)

It's harmless, :D have a look here: http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm#BadFreeSpace

HTH

Charles.

[quote :

" don't be scare with this "error" !

It's harmless, :D

HTH

Charles.

Merci Charles, but what does

DOS-Scandisk do when it "FIXES" something ?

compared to

WIN-Scandisk, Advanced Tab, right up (Lost file fragments): does it free them or recover them ?

Roger

Edit: Sorry had not read correctly the link. Thank you Charles

Edited by RodgerOver

Hi tihiy, thanks for the new release! Great piece of software!

Some bugs:

(Windows ME + KEX 4.5.2 + Rp 9.6.1)

- PDFXchange Viewer dosn't work with RP 9.6.1 (with the previus version works OK)

- OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 by Oracle: installs and works correctly but when i open a document and close the application, openoffice crash with kernel32.dll... (no data loss, the document is saved correcly ;) )

Could you add a fuction to replace the default task manager with Process Explorer (or other)? Thanks!!! :thumbup

- PDFXchange Viewer dosn't work with RP 9.6.1 (with the previus version works OK)
Can't see the proof.
- OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 by Oracle: installs and works correctly but when i open a document and close the application, openoffice crash with kernel32.dll...
That's not RP related. It crashes on its own. Delete crashrep.exe, it may help.
Could you add a fuction to replace the default task manager with Process Explorer (or other)?
You can grab my taskmgr, place it into \windows\system, run taskmgr /install, reboot and replace taskmgr.exe with procexp.exe. Then you can always run it with Ctrl-Shift-Esc. No, i won't allow hooking Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Confirm issue #4 on CharlesF's list (scroll thumb frozen until mouse button is released). To me it happens in Metapad (so far) and that is unfortunate because it's my only editor and I use it for developing my scripts.

Another minor issue is related to themes: the slider (trackbar) bitmaps - which are 32bit - appear incorrectly on a 24bit display (Intel 82801 integrated graphics). Reducing color depth of the related bitmaps to 24bit (magic pink transparency) fixes the issue. It strikes me as odd having both 24bit and 32bit bitmaps in a theme - in regard to consistency - but it's not that big of a deal.

Sorry for being no help lately - still no Internet access at the new location and my only machine at the old location either crashes or connects very slowly to the board, especially since the theme was changed. However, Tihiy, I'm still interested in RP and anything else 9x-related. Keep up the good work!

Revolutions Pack 9.6.3

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/RP9.exe

Fixed: broken scroll tracking.

Fixed: theoretical hangs on shutdown.

Fixed: shadows broken in 9.6.1.

Fixed: Polish translation.

Improved usage of GDI 32-bit heap: now it's much less likely to fill up with small bitmaps.

Edited by Tihiy

Revolutions Pack 9.6.2

Bravo Tihiy! :thumbup

* broken scroll tracking -> OK!

* text under desktop icons is now clear & perfect when dragging

* no more black vertical line on right when dragging

'Align to Grid' is still unstable: sometimes unticked, sometimes disappears from right-click.

I am using InfoTip Extension 2.0.4.106 with Windows 98 to get infotip on any file.

The infotips are still working, but the properties tab (right-click) is broken.

I can send the exe if necessary.

I will do more tests for:

1°) Automatic refresh (F5) not always working

3°) Recycle bin gives me sometimes an 'Access impossible to %c' error

Edited by CharlesF