Revolutions Pack 9.7

So far, 9.5 is fantastic. Graphics corruption in Opera is gone (it was never fatal, but backgrounds of pages when watching flash video were consistently scrambled), I've had no stability issues. The menu fade-in effect seems faster than before; I'm not sure if this is placebo or an actual performance improvement. The new ctrl-alt-del menu is nice; in the previous version I had yours disabled and was just using the default, but this newest version doesn't bother me (though I'm a bit wary of the lock computer and change password buttons, neither of which are functionality I want). So really, it's just taskbar locking that I miss (which may wind up a deal-breaker; I'm seriously considering reverting to the previous version just to get this back). Gonna do some real stress-testing tomorrow.

Queue

Thanks for testing! It's good to see someone still remembers me :rolleyes:

Screenshot work?
No, i want those grassland-scene-allard_24_600x450.bmp and \windows\clouds.bmp; one of them must cause error somehow.
So really, it's just taskbar locking that I miss
If i somehow last second broke it, i'm terribly sorry (no night releases dammit). Who confirms it's broken?

Or wait - you did install without skins? Unfortunately, shell extending is tied to UberSkin in this version; it will be probably changed back later.

lock computer and change password buttons
That's right, for single-user system they can be useless/annoying. I'll probably change Change Password into logoff user. Edited by Tihiy

Or wait - you did install without skins? Unfortunately, shell extending is tied to UberSkin in this version; it will be probably changed back later.

I just used the ''update'' function in RPSetup; I had RP9 pretty stripped down before though, and I don't see any UberSkin related files (I lack the themes folder and registry entries, icon replacements, etc.), and in RPConfig I don't have any skin choices, so I presume that means I have skinning disabled. I also don't have font smoothing either; I only use RP9 for resource salvation and taskbar locking.

Also, I just need to take a chill-pill. My paranoia over messing up my taskbar is far outweighed by the improvements you've made in resource handling and solving the file copy issue; what you've done for Windows stability through resource handling is amazing.

Queue

Edit - I also seem to have lost the ''right click a frozen program on the taskbar to get end task dialog'' functionality. I assume that's also part of ''shell extending'' and so part of the UberSkin component?

Edit 2 - I can open 45 IE6 windows before exhausting resource handles (the 46th window has a couple missing buttons). WARNING: System resources are very low. Save your work.

Edited by Queue

@tihiy:

Is there a technical reason why you have removed the 2 skins ZuneXP & Vista?

Can we take them back from the previous release, or could they break something whith this new one?

Win32/Induc :realmad: BAAW! Don't worry, it's not a destructive or infective malware. It's a proof-of-concept virus which hijacks Delphi source code. It won't affect machines without Delphi installed.

Is there a technical reason why you have removed the 2 skins ZuneXP & Vista?
I just didn't like pitch black XP, and Vista one should be replaced with Win 7. They will work without problems when you upgrade. Feel free to contribute skin ideas. Edited by Tihiy

Some requests for the new ctrl-alt-del task manager:

- Allow selecting of multiple items in the list to close at the same time. Freezing Windows is the Win9x task manager's greatest strength, but only being able to end task 1 program at a time is a glaring weakness.

- Make the ''New Task (Run)...'' command work without closing the task manager (so Windows is still frozen while you select and start the new program).

- Simplify the button display: Only have ''Close Task'' and ''Cancel'' visible with a ''More >>'' button that would display all the excess functions (like ''Shut Down'', ''New Task'', ''Lock Computer'' etc.). The informational display is fantastic as-is, but the rarely-used buttons are a bit overwhelming.

- Show tooltips when you mouse over really wide program titles so that scrolling left/right isn't required.

- Add a feature to pull up extra info on a given process (maybe by right-clicking a process in the list) that displays the full path to the executable, command-line arguments passed, memory usage (if possible), resource usage.

- Rename ''&Close Task'' to ''&End Task'' since that was the original button name.

Just a list of ideas that crossed my mind when messing with the resource displays (opening lots of programs then checking resource usage). So far the new version has been perfectly stable, or rather, I have had no unusual system instability since using it.

Queue

Edit - Added more suggestions.

Edited by Queue

Yo Tihiy,

It was something odd about that Grassland scenes wallpaper.

I went to desktop properties, set wallpaper to none, resized

the image to 1024x768, then used drag and drop to get it and

a couple others into Rpconfig. Bingo, error disappeared. :D

One other nuance of interest. This is really strange, if I try

the Windows 7 superbar skin and then switch back to the regular

Windows 7 skin, newer apps such as Opera 10.x, Firefox 3.6x and

others start acting as if the superbar is still there. Older apps

such IE 6 don't seem to notice or care. I have no clue... :unsure:

Jake

Re-uploaded RP9.exe without Win32/Induc. Please don't worry, it wasn't harmful or infectious in any way.

:o Do you know how this happened? Were your production machine(s) infected?