Revolutions Pack 9.7

Hi Dandee,

just discovered that I have (now ??) two control panels (one in c:\windows - with the new superb icons - and one directly in My Computer - with the old icons) ?? Or where there always two ? Thought that one is a shortcut, but they do not have the same content (e.g TClockEx (and other programs) are not c:\windows). Do you know which one is the right one and how I can safely remove the other one ?

Regards

Roger

Hi Dandee,

just discovered that I have (now ??) two control panels (one in c:\windows - with the new superb icons - and one directly in My Computer - with the old icons) ?? Or where there always two ? Thought that one is a shortcut, but they do not have the same content (e.g TClockEx (and other programs) are not c:\windows). Do you know which one is the right one and how I can safely remove the other one ?

Regards

Roger

Ahh, you found the second one. The second Control Panel (C:\Windows\Control Panel) is now connected

to the Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel command. The old one is still there, and also visible in Explorer.

If you don't like the idea of having two Control Panels, you can revert to the old one by deleting following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\Shell

Only delete "Shell" key and subkeys, leaving the rest intact. Then you can safely remove C:\Windows\Control Panel.

Although not very elegant, this was the only way of displaying the alternative icons. It is very similar to

the way the new Control Panel in XP/Vista is set up (using Shell Folder Applets). I am already looking for

a way to hide the old Control Panel, but no luck yet...

Although not very elegant, this was the only way of displaying the alternative icons. It is very similar to

the way the new Control Panel in XP/Vista is set up (using Shell Folder Applets). I am already looking for

a way to hide the old Control Panel, but no luck yet...

What's wrong with providing cpl file icons?

Can you remove this abomination from RP9 thread?

Hi Dandee,

found a temporary and partial solution here: http://www.virtualplastic.net/# (left, Taskbar and ... something); I tried other things explained there and now I have a very "light" start menu. Don't know however whether I will keep it.

Tihiy,

aren't you slightly to severe ? ...

Anyhow, and as a compuer layman (please take this into account), I find that the (rightclick) "revert to shortcut" and "make applet" features are not so bad !

Roger

RP9 (full) working nice, system seems very stable. the desktop icon transparency is a nice touch. Thanks and nice work Tihiy.

Edited by gkar

Thanx RodgerOver for your kindness, and thanx Tihiy for your severeness. :sneaky:

I have removed the custom Control Panel approach, which in reality is an abomination

to the wonderful RP9 software.

I've provided all the Control Panel icons as image resources now. The custom Control Panel

will be removed from your system via the install script. Please download at:

http://www.baut.nl/downloads/RP9-Icons.zip

Some of the icons (System, Networking, Ad New Hardware, Modems) refuse to display. I think

this is because their modules are from the (16-bit) Win311 legacy. I've included their XP versions

anyway. I compiled Netcpl.cpl and sysdm.cpl to 32-bit resources. Modem.cpl I compiled 16-bit

for testing purposes.

Finished up a port of the XP theme RVWoodwork. Its passable, but the window buttons are still bleh.

http://two.xthost.info/zoinkity/Windows/Themes/Woodwork.rar

Preview image is attached to this post.

+_+

Oh, incidentally, there's a weird little glitch in the skinning engine. If you select the "help" button and hold or click on the window frame, the original unskinned buttons appear. It can also happen if you right-click a window caption, though it immediately corrects itself.

post-160803-1242926219_thumb.jpg

Finished up a port of the XP theme RVWoodwork. Its passable, but the window buttons are still bleh.

http://two.xthost.info/zoinkity/Windows/Themes/Woodwork.rar

Preview image is attached to this post.

+_+

Oh, incidentally, there's a weird little glitch in the skinning engine. If you select the "help" button and hold or click on the window frame, the original unskinned buttons appear. It can also happen if you right-click a window caption, though it immediately corrects itself.

Just a question, Where's your system tray?

Otherwise, it looks awsome, and I'm gonna install it now :)

Just a question, Where's your system tray?
The Taskbar is on the top and Zoinkity cut the picture so you (and I) can't see the system tray.
Otherwise, it looks awsome, and I'm gonna install it now :)
He also made other nice themes. You should try them all too.

Zoinkity,

I don't have a chance to try the themes you made any more but it's nice to know that you still make them for RP9.