Revolutions Pack 9.7

@ slhk: just to be on the safe side, please check if BitsPerPixel is set to 32 at both these registry locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001\Display\Settings
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Display\Settings

and also Shell Icon BPP with the same 32 value at:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

H Drugwash,

I cannot advice to do that (at least not for everyone) ! I have a machine with onboard graphic card and the WIN9xE67 last Intel graphics driver for WIN98SE. Setting the registry entries manually to 32 bits per pixel (in any of the 4 entries you mention) made restart my computer with 16 colors and a 640x480 screen and creates "chaos" amongst my NON-system icons and shortcuts. (In fact I heavily "tweaked" my (sub-)folder icons in Programm Files and My Documents). Even if I could change the other settings back in control panel/system, the icons stayed very ugly and many of them were grey (without colors). Rebuilding icons, deleting Shelliconcache in windows, re-installing the graphics dirvers, nothing helped. So I wa sobliged to set the regsitry entries (all four) back to 24 bits. I think my graphics card and/or the last Intel driver simply doesn't support more than 24 bits per pixel.

Regards

Rodger

You probably have the dreaded Intel 815 integrated graphics. I have that chipset too in one of my test machines. That one indeed cannot go higher than 24bit, but hopefully it's the one exception.

Obviously, people that know (from the display properties panel) that their card can't take 32bit, shouldn't attempt changing those settings manually, because not only the attempt would be futile but - as you mentioned above - could lead to undesired behavior.

Thank you for pointing that out. :hello:

this a question about RP9, after installing RP9, i notice that sometimes, if i close an application / program, on top-left corner of the desktop a question mark symbol appears (as shown in attachment)

such symbol wont appear anymore if i uninstall RP9, nothing was harmed, but what it mean?

post-203774-1242011484_thumb.png

I confirm that finding. The selfsame question mark also appears for me. But, then, if I drag a window over it and back, it disappears. Just to remind you, my configuration remains as described below:

I'm using an as barebones as possible configuration (just Uberhack.exe, RP8.dll and SHL8.dll). Under [Effects], I have just "Use Windows Animations", "Show Windows Contents while Dragging" and "Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts" ticked, and under [Misc] only the "Replace System Font with Tahoma" is ticked. [...] my video card is a nVidia GeForce2 MX400.

question mark symbol appears
That's not a bug. It means display DC got swapped and RP9 unswapped it. It's kinda debug rare thing; it'll be removed.

@ Tihiy: Talking about debug - is there (or could it be) a way to log to file all GDI exceptions complete with applications/modules that raised them? I haven't yet tested that Nero button issue I reported some time ago and I want to know if I can somehow catch what exactly raises the exception, in case it happens again.

On the same line, how about a GDI objects count per application, similar to the XP feature? Could be useful in debugging too.

Have a great week! :hello:

P.S. @ RodgerOver: no worries, your observation was perfectly valid. Sorry about your icons, I know how it's like. :blushing:

is there (or could it be) a way to log to file all GDI exceptions
My debug builds of course had this feature. Maybe I would publish them.

Now i'm busy with long-secret feature, which I hope will find way to RP9. Stay tuned.

question mark symbol appears
That's not a bug. It means display DC got swapped and RP9 unswapped it. It's kinda debug rare thing; it'll be removed.
:blink: Please, Tihiy, what's "display DC"? :blushing:

Hi all,

I just uploaded a final version of the extended icon pack for RP9. You can download it at:

http://www.baut.nl/downloads/RP9-Icons.zip

I slimmed it down to +/- 21 MB, using original icon resources which are compiled from

scratch. All the used resources are kept strictly to the MS standard and documented in

the included Readme.txt file.

It also contains the promised Control Panel with icons for all RP9 icon themes. The Tango

theme is not complete yet.

Dandee