Revolutions Pack 9.7

I have a strange one!

Background:

On the odd occasion Windows becomes unstable, maybe from an unstable app or driver, or exhausted resources.

So, I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart, or worse, the reset button if I have an unrecoverable BSOD.

This happens more often if I am testing various software and especially if testing additional XP software with KernelEx.

BTW, this is not the problem yet...

Here's the problem:

After restarting, ClearType is mostly off - when I say mostly off, it is not on the Desktop, Start Menu, Explorer, and some apps... But not all.

To get it back, I have to use RPConfig to turn off Use ClearType, Apply, turn on Use ClearType, Apply, and then restart.

If I don't restart, then nothing has changed.

If I don't toggle the state of ClearType before restarting, then also nothing changes...

If I do a normal shutdown/restart, then all is fine.

As far as I can recall, it has reacted this way since the first RP9 versions.

My computer crashed this afternoon, then all the 32-bit icons looked different. There have solid black shadows. Switching to and back from 16-bit or 4-bit icons did not help. Re-installing RP9.1.0 did not help too

changed32biticons.png

Any way to fix this? Thank you

I have a strange one!
Sure strange it is. I'm pretty sure it's somehow related to ME files... or registry fails to write itself?
Any way to fix this?
No idea... Maybe file got deleted? Try custom RP install and check 32-bit icons set.
toolbar of InfranView
No.

Any way to fix this?
No idea... Maybe file got deleted? Try custom RP install and check 32-bit icons set.

Tried but did not work. Uninstalled and reinstalled RP9 and did not work too. The 32-bit icons still have "black shadows"

1. There is something strange with Infran toolbar icons. It changes its look every time I open InfranView no mather if ClearType is on or off in RPConfig.

I did a test opening InfranView several times in few minutes period. The result is here http://uploading.com/files/SEZM5D89/2009-05-05.7z.html

I rebuilt IconCache with RebIC.exe after switching off ClearType in RPConfig and rebooting.

2. I also noticed black rock shadows around some icons on my desktop while ClearType was on. I was surprized it disappeared even ClearType was turning on back again.

3. I installed RP9 on five 98SE computers. I do not quite understand why icons in Groupwise didn\'t become deformed in VIA based one but show its failure in SIS746 , SIS 935

regards,

Hi Tihyi,

RP 9.1.0 is working perfectly here. The only problem I had was when I did a Defrag with Scandefrag after having disabled virtual memory in ... \System Properties/Performance/Virtual Memory ... and forgot to set back virtual memory, because everthing worked so fine without it. This only apeared after some time (on the net for example). But I think this was/is a memory problem (DrWatson refered to RP8.dll). When I set back some virtual memory (1/3 of RAM), the problem did not appear anymore.

Thanks again for this really nice pack !!

Roger

My computer crashed this afternoon, then all the 32-bit icons looked different. There have solid black shadows. Switching to and back from 16-bit or 4-bit icons did not help. Re-installing RP9.1.0 did not help too

changed32biticons.png

Any way to fix this? Thank you

Hi SLHK,

Re: black shadows:

no idea whether this may help you, but I had this twice now (WIN98SE). You can also see a change at the level of the RPconfig icon in the start menu (that's how I discovered it first). For me it was twice my Explorer: Powerdek 5.0 free; I use it since many years, because of the dual pane. Reinstalling Powerdek helps ! But I am wondering what is the real cause for that. ( I must must admit however that I only recently downloaded and went back to Powerdesk 5 in order to reduce use of ressources; before I had a higher freeware version - was it 6... or 7.. ??). Need to find out !

Rodger

Ok, i am trying to use newest 9.1 version.

Minor bug: when i choose a theme and then i change a color of background after reboot the theme will be turned off unless saved with new setting. same problem as with Uberskin.

Major bug: i tried to reinstall Kernel EX (from 0.3.2a to 0.3.6). during bootup a get error message so i had to use kexreco in msdos mode. it is possible that the dll files which are used by the RP9 are colliding with rp9 files.

edit:

version Kex 0.4.0 rc2 works fine. there seems to be an incompatibility with RP9 and KEX 0.3.6.

Edited by Offler

Hi SLHK,

Re: black shadows:

no idea whether this may help you, but I had this twice now (WIN98SE). You can also see a change at the level of the RPconfig icon in the start menu (that's how I discovered it first). For me it was twice my Explorer: Powerdek 5.0 free; I use it since many years, because of the dual pane. Reinstalling Powerdek helps ! But I am wondering what is the real cause for that. ( I must must admit however that I only recently downloaded and went back to Powerdesk 5 in order to reduce use of ressources; before I had a higher freeware version - was it 6... or 7.. ??). Need to find out !

Rodger

Rodger, thank you for your suggestion. However I do not use Powerdesk, so this solution does not work for me

Now I use 16-bit icons to avoid the black shadows

@ slhk: just to be on the safe side, please check if BitsPerPixel is set to 32 at both these registry locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001\Display\Settings
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Display\Settings

and also Shell Icon BPP with the same 32 value at:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

and also Shell Icon BPP with the same 32 value at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

This fix works for me! Thank you very much Drugwash!

Believe the value was changed to 16 after the system crash