Revolutions Pack 9.7

Xteq-dotec X-Setup Pro 6.6 has a setting to change this but it might be a bit tricky to get back to original, so a back up of original file & registry be important before changing. This is under  StartUp | Windows 9x/ME | Boot Picture. "This plug-in can be used to change the picture that is displayed when starting Windows. Note: The picture should be 320x400 pixels with 256 colors. If the image is not in this format, then *no* image will be displayed on startup! If you have changed the picture using X-Setup and want the default picture back, leave the field blank but remember that this will DELETE your current logon picture." Quoted from program. I think that the picture is within IO.sys in the root directory from memory? X-Setup Pro download page http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/X-Setup.html . Icons can be set to display in full color which can make a difference. 3D icons can be employed providing anti-aliasing on the icons. Some settings are system breakers so a working backup recommended.

Some ready made logos from https://msfn.org/board/topic/30795-two-different-boot-logo-for-windows-98-users/

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 7 months later...

Late, but...

I believe Revolutions Pack has been causing issues for me on both Windows 98SE and ME. On Windows 98, I often get messages that explorer.exe was not functioning right and caused crashes. For ME, I am experiencing similar issues, but I am not getting crashes.

i am suspicious there are unofficial patches from Autopatcher  that cause audio to malfunction on oracle virtual machine. Unofficial patches are great but sometimes the kernel stability isn't adhered to or monitored and also can become more noticeably unstable in virtual machines.

Edit: Its Microsoft fault

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
additional

Once the icons have changed it is difficult to return to the correct ones this includes the Start button icon. What should be done is to refresh the ShellIconCache and ttfCache by booting into Safe Mode every month. I have done experiments and deleting KernelEx Apps registry and merging one from a drive that has been playing up with the icons and guess what, the merged registry drive did the same thing. I suggest keep RP9 if you have it installed it as all important functioning still works. It is also important to back up the drive while all is well. K24 (the latest KernelEx) is fully compatible with RP9 for me I have several drives that have it running. K24 is the best as it should be remember to update Core.ini manually removing IsProcessorFeaturePresent. If you have a favorite build and RP9 can not be reinstated exactly as designer fully intended, then for a try, KernelEx Apps registry can be deleted then merged back a good one taken from another hard drive and most importantly do not interfere with the good copy. Make sure you have booted into safe mode prior to this on a previous boot and fully delete KernelEx Apps in the registry prior to merging back the good copy. Then you need to go to RP9 config and change themes.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I have fixed KernelEx settings so that RP9 is not impacted by doing a registry restore or I deleted KernelEx Apps and merged back original I am not sure. Either way should produce the same result. It was done as soon as the fault arised though and even then the theme had to be changed temporarily. The icon  fault occurred after a KernelEx file setting change. Even at the time I was not sure what the file was, I was probably doing more than one manually as the KernelEx reg settings should not be merged over the top of an already in-place KernelEx Apps registry. If I find out I will say.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 4 weeks later...

my suspicions were answered with thou shalt Put ram patch for 2gb ram (slaps forehead) includes virtual machines but still virtual machines don't run right on modern oracle

for my AMD

Edited by ZaPbUzZ

• 2 months later...

I gave up trying to fix the icon displaying wrong icon error with some backups of WinME with Revolutions Pack. So I replaced System.dat from a good build. This fixed it. It also fixed the conflict with PshExports_alpha1.7z and File64. It also got another program to run that used Qt5WebKit.dll. Added edit response in KernelEx Core Updates.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
> is there anyone still using rp?

Yeh, me too -- it makes my Win98SE so much more visually attractive and fun to use! I've never had a single issue in over 10 years of using it. (If i remember correctly, you need to install RP *after* KernelEx though -- each was developed by friends of one another, and they worked together to insure compatability.)

Don't forget that there are also a couple of "theme packs" available that extend available choices -- i particularly enjoy the "icon pack". Plus, you can easily modify (some of) the available color schemes to make even-more alternatives.

- Doug B.

• 2 months later...

it's a fun upgrade.  It doesn't make my games run any better though.   I don't like the fact that I need GDI updates, explorer updates etc to use it.  if it could of just ran on vanillia windows with no updates and have full functionaty it would of been a better program.  I get that it can run, but you dosen't fully work with all features.

Edited by Destro