Revolutions Pack 9.7

With Win 98SE no more crash for the non unicode version, 

but still the ini saved is an empty file.

EDIT (your answers):

What I did:

Win98SE -> RPTE1.8-> File-> Load Theme Folder-> I click (select) the first folder of the list ie '2K6'-> OK

There is no apparent change, no name displayed for instance in the white box above the toolbar, no value is displayed in any item, and the ini is still called 'no skin.ini'.

If I click 'Save theme', without modification or after one, from the menu or from the toolbar, a window says me that the file was saved as %exe folder%\mod_no skin.ini,

but actually no file has been created, there or in the theme folder!

If I click 'Save theme as...', I am asked to choose a directory and an ini name, ...but the created file is still empty (containing only one line: ';Please note - file content is critical'), with no crash.

HTH :)

Edited by CharlesF

No crash is good news. :)

Apparently the loading is not very intuitive, which is my fault. Load themes folder means select a folder containing one or more unpacked/installed themes, not the theme folder itself. I haven't tested it in that situation before and right now I see it doesn't work although theoretically it should. My bad, I'll see to fix that. :blushing:

On a 98SE+RP system, the program should automatically detect and load the WINDOWS\Resources\Themes folder at startup. The dropdown list doesn't show anything, leaving it for the user to choose a theme from the list of available ones. So right after starting the program, all installed themes should be ready for selection in the dropdown box at the top (or top-left, when resized).

Only after a theme has been selected in the dropdown, its contents will be parsed and shown in the tree below and upon selecting a branch, its contents will be displayed on the right side, allowing the user to view/change the available items.

If no theme has been selected/loaded, there will be no file saved. The fact that it still attempts to do so is a bug that has to be fixed; I made a few stepts towards that but obviously there's more to be done.

Thanks again for testing, apparently you're the only brave one! :angel:thumbup  New versions will be uploaded to the same location when possible.

New version 1.0.0.10 of the editor is up (open link in my signature below, see the RPTE folder).

Finally, first attempt at checking bitmap height against taskbar height. Apparently there's a margin of 7px that can be reached without triggering the size bug. I've hardcoded that value and all checks are performed against it added to taskbar height from Global section. In case of mismatch, the details area will display some information.

It would be helpful if this could be tested on other machines with different Common Controls versions, to make sure the value of 7 is consistent.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered here (if so I have missed it), but on a ME install RP9 is causing an "Explorer caused an error in <unknown>" error on boot and when I attempt to open Explorer windows. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered here (if so I have missed it), but on a ME install RP9 is causing an "Explorer caused an error in <unknown>" error on boot and when I attempt to open Explorer windows. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

If this is a on fresh ME install with nothing updated I suggest you install the (unofficial) Windows ME service pack and IE6SP1 and see how it fares after that.

If this is a on fresh ME install with nothing updated I suggest you install the (unofficial) Windows ME service pack and IE6SP1 and see how it fares after that.

Sorry, should have mentioned: they're both installed already. It's puzzling me as I've not had this problem previously when I have used ME. 

New version 1.0.0.12 of the theme editor is up (see the RPTE folder in my signature).

Didn't test it under Win7, may have glitches and bugs. Please test and report bugs (except for flickering in preview - that's known).

Ouch! :(

Is it me or Windows 7 looks too much similar to Linux, as in bulky and screen space wasting? Nevermind... Looks like I'll have to perform some more tests in 7. Latests versions were not tested there at all.

The keyboard/mouse hook is normal when trying to run the Unicode version under 9x. AHK thinks it's safe to install those hooks, which normally happens only when it detects an NT-based OS (which KernelEx compatibility fools it into believing). So no worries there (and there's nothing I can do about it anyway).

The naming error is due to a limitation in variable names. Some characters are not allowed, while they can be present in file names. Since I based the data storage on skin.ini and folder names, such bug was inherent. I just hoped it wouldn't happen, but when did my hopes ever come true... :) I'll try to change the storage system to work around this limitation. Just FYI, the issue is with the dash in the theme name "Homestead-ORIG" - if you replace it with underscore as in "Homestead_ORIG" it'll be OK. Spaces are not allowed either, so I'll have to find a better way.

Thank you very much for testing and reporting! :thumbup

Later edit:

Looking closer at the Win7 screenshot, a couple of questions come to mind:

- does that machine use a nonstandard DPI setting?

- is it a x64 machine/OS?

I'm asking this because the Unicode AHK version I'm using to build the Unicode RPTE claims to be DPI-aware but I've never been testing those builds on a nonstandard DPI machine so I'm not sure how it looks and behaves under such circumstances.

As for running under x64, some of the structures used in my wrappers are not yet x64-compatible, partly because of lack of proper information and partly because I have no x64 machine to test on. So failure of some sort is to be expected.

Regardless, I see there are other problems under Win7 x86 in the Preview tab and there's also the known issue of Rebar not automatically resizing/moving when main window is being resized. Fixing those might take a while.

I'll soon be uploading a bugfix version that takes care of the theme naming issue.

Edited by Drugwash

• 6 months later...

Latest official redistributable cam be found here. Dunno if it's still compatible with 9x, haven't checked.

You could also perform a search on your computer, especially in Program Files - chances are some other application already has one in their folder and you could just borrow it. There may be more versions, in which case you may want to check their version numbers and use the latest by placing it in C:\WINDOWS\System.