Help updating Bios

I have a Saitek gamers keyboard that worked fine using the 64 bit OS . Then i upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64 bit and the keyboard stopped working . I tried to install the 64 bit driver for this and during the installation process it asked me to plug it in , it was already so my only option was to cancel . Saitek Tech said i should update my Bios for this to work . I kind of have a feeling this isn't true and if it is i am kind of scared to update my Bios . Just today while using I .E . ( explorer stopped working ) nothing new but i lost power to my wireless keyboard transmitter also the wired gaming mouse . So I guess my Question is what is the bios i should use and the safest what to flash it ? any ideas about the loss of power ? thanks john .

is your machine an oem like Dell, HP? You click their support site and plug in your ID # and go to a page like this. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...n&TabIndex=

Lots of PC's were built with this asset # so not that big a deal. Not that hard to update Bios these day's when can actually be done within Windows.

If yours non OEM then it becomes trouble finding correct upgrades.

first off, the BIOS is usually the first thing you see when you turn your pc on after you video card initializes. its the software that displays the splash screen and allows you into the 'setup' screens (ex Press F2 to enter setup) *

now, assuming the PC you are talking about is the one in your sig, Dell would of course be the wrong place to go for a BIOS update. You can get the BIOS update from the ASUS website here youll need the latest BIOS and the BIOS utility to flash your BIOS. READ THE DOCUMENTATION that comes with the update.

OK theres your answers but heres my opinion: Saitek tech is just guessing. The tech guy just likely wanted you off his phone. Im not saying that updating your BIOS is a bad thing, Im just saying I wouldnt hold out too much faith in it fixing your issue.

*yes i realize there is much more to the BIOS than that but its a simplified definition that works for the purposes of this discussion

is your machine an oem like Dell, HP? You click their support site and plug in your ID # and go to a page like this. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...n&TabIndex=

Lots of PC's were built with this asset # so not that big a deal. Not that hard to update Bios these day's when can actually be done within Windows.

If yours non OEM then it becomes trouble finding correct upgrades.

Not an OEM , we built this PC 3 years ago . Am having trouble with the new floopy drive . The disk is not recognized so i bought a flash drive to aid me in updating the bios . I understand i have to download a flash utility and the new bios to the flash drive but am unsure if i have to format the flash drive . If so what format NTFS , fat , fat 32 oR exFAT ?? These are my options . I have to take drugs that make me an id*** and i still dont understand the process of updating my BIOS . Could someone please explain it to me . Thanks John

Quick question - can you burn to CD-ROM? If so, the you can follow the manufacturer's instructions for "making a bootable floppy". In order to do this, usually the Floppy must be a Win9x/WinME-type Bootable floppy. NT/2K/XP simply doesn't work nor does one formatted in XP (etc) using the "Create MS-DOS Startup Disk" option.

If you can burn a Bootable CD, get the evaluation WinImage (Google search - pops right up), the Floppy-version BIOS, a Win9x Boot Floppy Image (available all over the internet), then follow the Mfgr's instructions. The WinImage is to help you create the Image without an actual functioning Floppy Drive. Then follow the Burner Sotware's (lots of free/evaluation out there) instructions to burn a Bootable CD (same method as making a Bootable Install CD, e.g. XP), then proceed with Mfgr's instructions.

An alternative to WinImage (if the Win9x Image is a run-an-exe to create-a-floppy) then go here -

http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html

This nifty utility will "create" a Virtual Floppy Drive. I use it occasionally and it works flawlessly. Please note that this Utility only works on x86 systems and not your 64-bit.

Otherwise, the same procedure as above but making a Win9x Bootable Flash Device and copying the appropriate files to the Root (FAT16/FAT32, including the appropriate Win9x IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and COMMAND.COM; same files needed for above) and setting the BIOS to boot to it.

HTH