net connection disconnecting

bloo

well guys,

i got win xp sp3 n 512kb broadband on 2 pcs

weneva i surf after every 30 min to 2 hrs the connection get cut off on only one pc n the other does not get this prob.

any idea wat how i can work this out?

am using mcafee security centre n windows firewall.did not get this problem before foramtting my hard disk as was using same prog

Edited by bloo

Need to know how they are connected. Using a router I hope? Also, need to know if the computer that loses connection, if it can ping the other computer, or if it can renew the IP address, etc. Also if they are wireless or wired.

connected through a router livebox via usb n the other one via lan.

well wen the connection is lost the livebox still is workin ie my other pc is connected to net.

so to connect to net on my first pc that is the one via usb i need to reboot the router or restart the pc.

wat is ping??n how to check about the ip add gettin renewd or not?

1. Check your event viewer for any errors or warnings that may be related to the usb device.

2. You can run ipconfig -release and then ipconfig -renew once you lose your connection. Here is an example:

http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/windows/ipconfig/

3. Run ipconfig on the computer that is working and write down the IP Address.

4. On the computer that does not work, in the cmd.exe type in 'ping ip' where ip is the address of the working computer. If it works you will see 4 replies. If it does not work you will see 4 Request Timed Out.

5. If you cannot do the ping or you get an error from ipconfig -renew, post what it says.

6. Also you can try unplug and replug in the USB again, instead of rebooting the router or the PC.

well the thing is wen i try to ping ip wen the connection gets cut, nothin happns/the cmd windows get frozen n wen i switch off router then starts responding.

even the ipconfig -release does not work, the cmd windows get frozen.

OK I think I need to better understand your set up. Please respond to the following questions:

1. The computer that loses the connection, is it the one connected to the USB or to the Ethernet?

2. What is the make and model of your router?

3. What is the make and model of the "livebox"?

4. Is the Livebox connected to the router?

If you can post a link to the product page for questions 2 and 3, that will be helpful

Also, for further troubleshooting, please with-hold any information relating to the computer that is not having this problem.

If you have other USB devices connected to the computer, try disconnecting those and see if you still get disconnected. Check Device Manager to see if the USB Device that represents the Livebox has any Power Management options. And try to disable sleep and hibernate on your computer to see if this is causing a problem also.

well the r s no problm issue with the usb driver.i checked in the device manager n everything works fine.

well am tellin u that i used to work with usb without any prob b4 i formatted my pc.

after formattin n installin winxp again the prob came up.i mean 1 or 2month later