Max Memory 512MB, but what if......

T.N.G.O.G.

I think on my rig, the mb is a 810chip/82810, i think the max memory i can use is 512mb. But what would happen if i add one stick of 512mb and keep the 256mb in the other, would my computer crash and won't load or it may be just fine?

The 810 chipset is very old (10 years), and indeed doesn't support beyond 512MB, as in two 256MB sticks. As for bigger sticks, if you're lucky it'll only see them as 256MB sticks, if you're unlucky it won't POST.

Not that I'd spend a dime on a RAM upgrade for such an old board (Socket 370!, old PC100 RAM, ATA66 and obviously no LBA48 support and no SATA, no USB2, no AGP slot much less a PCI-e one, etc). I see people throwing away MUCH faster boxes all the time (got a co-worker getting rid of a 4200+ AMD box as a matter of fact -- I just might grab it to make a fancy NAS box out of it).

I wish i knew some people that threw away computers that fast lol. Most of the time when people are throwing away stuff, and i try to buy it, i can't, because they say the are recycling it. Forget recycling, give me one lol

But anyways, thanks for the Information.

Check out Craigslist Free Stuff and don’t be shy about mentioning you're looking for old computer parts.

I’ve seen listings where companies give away all their old computers when they upgrade. Be careful though, the mobs get unruly at these give aways.

Hmm; I have a "really old" SuperSocket7 Tyan (VIA chipset) that "claims" to be able to handle 768mb. But... I think above info is correct - have another Intel Celeron board (max 533mhz) that only accepts 512mb.

Old VIA, SIS and Intel BX chipsets take more than 512mb.

For eccentric reasons I’ve put together a tricked out PIII 1.4 system.

1gb ram, twin SATA 80gb hard drives, Radeon X800, Sound Blaster Audigy, and a USB 2.0 card running XP with a Vista Theme.

So it can be done if you’re willing to spend months tweaking and optimizing.