Prevent DOS Cmd windows from closing on exit?

arcanemethods

I am trying to re-install Rhapsody. It worked fine until one day it didn't. The attempted re-install quits with a program checlk at a point in the install immediately subsequent to the quick flash of a DOS command window. The flash is too quick to glean any information from and I think that it contains a clue as to the reason for the install failure (which Real has proved inept at solving.)

What I need is some system wide way of inhibiting the closing of DOS command windows upon exit of the interpreter so that I can see what is displayed there. Is there any way to do that?

Many Thanks,

Bob

cmd /k START /wait setup.exe

if your setup executable is called setup.exe

Thanks, beaker. This script is being called or created from within the Rhapsody installer rather than by me. Thus I don't control the flags. I'm hoping there is something like an environment variable which specifies default flags for any invocation of cmd.exe regardless of where it originates.

Bob

Have you checked for any log files or events in Event Viewer? Is the installer using InstallShield or MSIEXEC?

Wouldn't know what to look for in event viewer and there are no log files.

The flash and quit isn't occuring with the installer, but after that, during the first run of the application when it's trying to set up the Helix DRM manager it employs. Rhapsody support stayed in the loop for a long time but started repeating the same unsuccessful steps to fix it. They wouldn't escalate it to engineering or send an instrumented copy with logging. More or less finally said, "Sorry, dunno what's wrong. Bye."

Rhapsody was an exceptional product before it stopped working but being a Real product, they don't really know how it works. Real has always been a pretty lame outfit but I was hoping that they had ironed out some of their quality issues.

I'm hoping that if I can prevent the close of the command window that flashes by I can get a handle on the problem that might stimulate a fix. Slim hope, but better than none at all. :-(

You could try setting Image File Execution Options on cmd.exe - no idea if it would work though...

Running procmon for the whole install might be a better bet.

Using Image File Execution on cmd.exe sounds like a possible recipe for disaster (especially for a guy like me with low skill at XP systems.) I don't know how often cmd.exe is invoked for scripts in the normal run of the mill system operation but if it's often this sweet hack could lock the system pretty tight before ever getting to my problem. Comment?

I got procman to play with. I'll see if I can glean anything.

Many Thanks

Pretty lame but if all else fails you could try a screen recorder like CamStudio.

Intriguing suggestion. I'd like that jewel for all kinds of things! What app would allow me to step through a capture frame by frame looking for the flash by?

Many Thanks.