KernelEx 4.5.2

Hi,

My system is Win98SE lite (sleek option, win95 explorer).

I have two questions:

1. Do I need to set the compatibility mode for WindowsXP for each program that I want to run,

which is not supposed to run on win98?

2. More specifically, how to run foobar2000 with KernelEX?

Thanks in advance for help

I have two questions:

1. Do I need to set the compatibility mode for WindowsXP for each program that I want to run,

which is not supposed to run on win98?

2. More specifically, how to run foobar2000 with KernelEX?

At first you should understand that KernelEx is not a panacea and not every XP app will work. Unfortunately, it seems that current version of Foobar doesn't work with KernelEx. You may try older versions.

You don't need to set the compatibility mode for every program. Firstly try to run it without the compatibility mode.

Some programs should just work without any further actions.

Some programs may crash, or complain about missing DLL, or that they are connected with missing component, or something like that. Unfortunately such programs most likely will not work with or without the compatibility mode. Though you still may try to set the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, but the chances are low.

And some programs will say that you should use newer OS or that they will not work on 98 or something like that. Compatibility mode was designed to fool such programs, so use it in such cases. And in some cases you also should apply the registry trick (for example for Flash 10 plugin installation).

For installation needs temporary replacing of [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion] VersionNumber key to "5.10.2600" to install - DON'T FORGET to change it back!!!

And if the program was working without KernelEx and has issues with KernelEx you may use the Compatibility tab to disable KernelEx for such program. It helps in almost all cases.

Edited by M()zart

Don't know if KernalEx can be made to address LightScribe incompatibility with Win98, but that would be cool.

The required "Lightscribe System Software" (http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/Windows/index.aspx?id=810) will not install with KernalEx 4.0 RC2.

I will note that there are several CD label making programs that run on 98 and support LightScribe (Acoustica is one), but don't support it for 98. From what I have been reading on the web, LightScribe simply cannot be made to run on 98.

There's an unsolved and annoying problem left.wacko.gif

Printing pages (PdfCreator0.98) from K-Meleon browser very often results DrWatson report:

Win32 WINSPOOL core component used an uninitialized function pointer.

Module Name: WINSPOOL.DRV
Description: Win32 WINSPOOL core component
Version: 4.10.1998
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Spool32.exe
Description: Spooler Sub System Process
Version: 4.10.1998
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

--------------------
has altered Windows system files.

Module Name:

--------------------
If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.

Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
Description: Cicero Loader
Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N
Product: Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System

All printers in my system folder disappear and 98SE has to be rebooted.

But it doesn't happen all the time. I didn't manage to find why after reboot printing the same goes well. No such bug if KEX4 is downgraded to KEX3.6 or uninstalled. I suspect it's KEX4/RP9.1 conflict residue. I've checked this case on two my 98SE computers with RP9.1 (all effects on) based on K7S5A and K7S41GX

regards,

Lightscribe: i have the same problem, but the DVDwriter works well at all.

Delphi 2009: i noticed that Kex is attempting to run these applications. i have one here right now. it is working, but makes more than one several bugs. but at all good work.

I thought I'd mention here this Legacy Extender commercial package I have just come across. It seems they have been reading this forum and topic but they don't mention it explicitely.

http://www.legacyextender.com/company/

This legacyextender makes it possible to use VS 2005/2008 on native Win9x applications without breaking compatability. Only useful for developers. The purpose of KernelEx is to make non-native user applications run on win98. That's very different. They might have been reading this pages, I have no idea, but should they have mentioned that?

Hello RetroOS,

KernelEx-4.0-RC2

Adobe Reader 7.0.9

You say to use "Orca" :

- Using Orca, make the following changes to Adobe Reader 7.0.9.msi:

- Drop row UnSupportedOS (Version9x) from both InstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence

but it does not work under Windows Me.

I do not need to install Adobe Reader 7.0.9

Thank you in advance for a solution.

Best regards

@Laaca: Which version of Google Earth did you successfully install? 4.1.7087.5048 keeps telling me that this OS is not supported, no matter what I tried: Comaptibility mode on or off, registry values added or modified or not. And even installing the older 11.50 wanted me to copy psapi.dll to the system directory...

KernelEx or Windows 98/SE/ME RAM Limitation Patch

As I know, you may install them in any order. Better to install KernelEx after different updates/patches but in this case, i think, it does not matter. Anyway, in the worst case if you break KernelEx, it will warn you that you should reinstall it.

Thank you for all your hard work! :thumbup

Windows 98SE

KernelEx v4.0.12 (4 RC2)

System hangs sometimes on startup, seems to involve mprexe.exe (version 4.10.1998) not responding.

Could there be a difference because of a "warm" boot rather than a "cold" boot?

Maybe it's something else, I've tried a lot of different things.

What can I do?

v0.3.5 works fine except it won't do Picassa 3

Edited by Kevin144