KernelEx 4.5.2

I need to update my system to include a dshow splitter that supports .flv files with AVC content and .webm. files and a decoder for VP8.

I have Win98SE with KernelEx 4.5.2. I use Zoom Player 8, in large part because it still works on Win 98.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how I should do this?

You need Haali Splitter, FLV Splitter and FFDShow.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/haali_matroska_splitter.htm

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/ffdshow-tryouts-project-x86-x64/ffdshow-tryouts-project-svn-3825-x86-x64.html (choose msvc2008 build)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/Standalone%20Filters%20-%20Win32/Filters%20v1.5.0.2827%20_%2032%20bits/ (register the flv splitter in your system)

Edited by loblo

I need to update my system to include a dshow splitter that supports .flv files with AVC content and .webm. files and a decoder for VP8.

I have Win98SE with KernelEx 4.5.2. I use Zoom Player 8, in large part because it still works on Win 98.

Install GOM Player. Try to play one of those files. It will attempt to find and download the codec for you, if it cannot find it on the system (and if it's a free codec).

I got mine like that ( WebMVP8Decoder.exe )

The Comments field reads: WebM VP8 Decoder(0.9.5.0) webmproject.org

EDIT:

Few minutes ago I decided to check for an update and the new player version 2.1.37.5085 failed to register GVF.ax (error 0x0000001F). Installation went on and completed without other incidents, however I'm not sure what this failed registration may impact on. Dependency Walker shows no missing libraries or functions. Under XP there's no such error.

I've submitted a bug report to Gretech Support Center.

Edited by Drugwash

You need Haali Splitter, FLV Splitter and FFDShow.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/haali_matroska_splitter.htm

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/ffdshow-tryouts-project-x86-x64/ffdshow-tryouts-project-svn-3825-x86-x64.html (choose msvc2008 build)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/Standalone%20Filters%20-%20Win32/Filters%20v1.5.0.2827%20_%2032%20bits/ (register the flv splitter in your system)

Another good choice is VLC media player, which works well under KernalEX, it uses its own dll versions of many codec's, so it has a bit less overhead then many other players.

Here are the results from my post #1320 about playing flv with avc and webm media files.

I downloaded and installed the Haali Matroska Media Splitter, v. 1.11.288.0, from the link without apparent problem.

I downloaded the latest ffdshow from the link, svn 4275. When I tried to install it, it bombed. My machine has a AMD K6-III processor, which preceeded SSE. FFDSHOW stopped supporting non-SSE processors around version 1936 or 1940 (One place says 1940 but 1936 is the latest version I have found.) Those non SSE versions of FFDSHOW do not support the VP8 encoding in the webm file.

I looked for the webm project referred to by drugwash above. I found it and discovered a dshow filter package there, at www.webmproject.org/tools/ The post referred to version 0.9.5.0. The one on the site is now 0.9.12.0. I found some posts saying that some earlier versions had some SSE instructions but that the latest worked without SSE.

I downloaded the MPC HC standalone filters, v 1.5.0.2827.x86. It didn't work, unknown reason.

I noted that the KernelEx compatibility table, www.msfn.org/board/topic/152471-kernelex-apps-compatibility-list-new/ , indicates that MPC HC version 1.3.1249 is supposed to work with KernelEx.

I downloaded that version and registered the FLV splitter filter. It worked. I could play the .flv file with the avc content.

I next attempted to play my webm files. Zoom Player said it could not find a suitable source filter and could not play the files. I tried Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1. It played both files, though not very well because the decompression exceeded my cpu power. I tried Windows Media Player 9.0. It played both webm files, again not very well. ZP, MPC, and WMP are all direct show players. Why MPC and WMP worked but ZP didn't I don't know.

I tried playing my webm files with my browsers. Opera 11.60 displayed a player image and made no effort to play the file. Fire Fox 8 played it, though not very well because of my cpu.

I then discovered that Zoom Player would no longer play .mp4 files. After much screwing around, I uninstalled the Haali Matroska media filter, and Zoom Player started playing .mp4 files again. The Haali install broke something. Flv with avc videos continued to work after the uninstall. The KernelEx compatibility table shows the Haali Media Splitter working with KernelEx but does not indicate a version number.

It appears that the current Haali splitter broke something between my Win 98 operating system, KernelEx, the splitters, and my Zoom Player player.

• 4 weeks later...

So far, Kernel Ex has worked well on a virtual 98SE unit. The present version of SeaMonkey (2.4.1) runs but has a few issues. The "set as default" option doesn't work, asks every time. On the virtual system SeaMonkey will not save or import bookmarks. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem with my virtual system?

Last when I tested Seamonkey 2.1 with kex 4.5.1 it froze. so I see it made some progress :) I'll test new 2.7.1 with kex 4.5.2 on real machine

I'd tested SeaMonkey 2.4.1(Engine:Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1) in November (KernelEX Wiki). System: Win ME; KernelEX 4.5.2. It works, but not recently visited addresses, history and bookmarks. There's the same problem with Firefox 4 and higher. For Firefox it's possible to install an add-on like HyperBK. I believe there isn't such add-on for SeaMonkey.  

I tested various Seamonkey versions:

2.1b2 - 2.7 - bookmarks doesn't work

2.1b1 - black window without text (in all compat modes)

2.1a1 - 2.1a3 - OK

I upgraed from 2.0.14 to 2.1 alpha 3

EDIT: I found that 2.1 alpha 3 is unstable and crashed when loading some webpages that 2.0.14 displayed correctly. So I'm back on 2.0.14...

Edited by xrayer

• 3 weeks later...

I've got KEX 4.5.2 on 3 different win 9x PCs. KEX 4.5.2 has a tendency to crash the Kerio 2.1.5 PFW administration, PFWADMIN.EXE in the program files directory.

Set the PFWADMIN.EXE to 2000 SP4 mode, and there is no more crash.

KEX is is going to need many tweaks for some ASUS board 9x drivers running unorthodox, overclocked AMD CPUs. Easier to tweak KEX than to rewrite the poorly written C++ drivers. An old AMD 1.8 GHz overclocked to 2.4 GHz is runnung like an old Pentium 1 @ 66 MH with the ASUS or nVidia most recent drivers & BIOS upgrades.

Best to all here.

Dave

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x declared as working well, atleast with latest KernelEx release.

How 3.6.27 "works" for me - it doesnt draw any graphics - nevermind, its own in-menu icons or pages graphics. See attached screen.

I'm tried all things - system clean install, english and localized firefox versions, older versions of 3.6.x branch, regular and portable packages, reinstalled KernelEx as enabled and disabled by default (v4.5.2). In disabled mode i set Windows XP SP2 compatibility for firefox.exe (or firefoxportable.exe). Still no luck. Ofcourse i set XP compatibility to firefox installers too, both regular and portable. What i doing wrong? Use Windows 98SE RU and latest MDCU.

My overall setup:

Memory: 2 GiB RAM (DDR PC3200 - 2x 1 GiB Kingston) / all 2 GB available in Win98

Motherboard: Soltek SL-XP865G-3IG

CPU: Pentium IV 3.4 Ghz Northwood S478 @ 3.4 Ghz

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb AGP / Forceware 71.84

config.sys, autoexec.bat and system.ini: no relevant entries

vmm32.vxd (real mode), vcache.vxd, vmm.vxd: 4.10.0.2222 with RAM Limitation Patch 7.0 (with /M Option)

post-346261-0-87341800-1330978825_thumb.

Edited by aleksej

I've got KEX 4.5.2 on 3 different win 9x PCs. KEX 4.5.2 has a tendency to crash the Kerio 2.1.5 PFW administration, PFWADMIN.EXE in the program files directory.

Set the PFWADMIN.EXE to 2000 SP4 mode, and there is no more crash.

KEX is is going to need many tweaks for some ASUS board 9x drivers running unorthodox, overclocked AMD CPUs. Easier to tweak KEX than to rewrite the poorly written C++ drivers. An old AMD 1.8 GHz overclocked to 2.4 GHz is runnung like an old Pentium 1 @ 66 MH with the ASUS or nVidia most recent drivers & BIOS upgrades.

Best to all here.

Dave

Kerio 2 is W98 compatible, so if KernelEx causes problems with PFWADMIN.EXE, you should try setting the compatibility mode to "disabled" (and report back).

As for drivers, tweaking KernelEx isn't going to help, it's for applications only, not drivers. If you do have driver issues, such as non-support of W98, have a look at the WdmStub thread. OTOH, if you have misbehaving W98 drivers due to excessive speed, there's not much you can do unless you are able to debug and patch them.

Joe.

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x declared as working well, atleast with latest KernelEx release.

How 3.6.27 "works" for me - it doesnt draw any graphics - nevermind, its own in-menu icons or pages graphics. See attached screen.

I'm tried all things - system clean install, english and localized firefox versions, older versions of 3.6.x branch, regular and portable packages, reinstalled KernelEx as enabled and disabled by default (v4.5.2). In disabled mode i set Windows XP SP2 compatibility for firefox.exe (or firefoxportable.exe). Still no luck. What i doing wrong? Use Windows 98SE RU and latest MDCU.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 and it works well with KernelEX, no problems other then sites telling me to upgrade, but I do have a lot of add-ons to fix naggy sites like you-tube. (Much higher versions of Firefox are said to work with KernelEX, I don't update software much, if it works I leave it alone until I have to change it.)

When you re- installed windows,

Then installed the latest KernelEX,

Then after reboot the KernelEX popup says KernalEX is working,

And you get the extra KernelEX tab on propertys,

Have you then tried to set the property's on the Firefox installer to use specific compatibility mode WinXP? (This will make all the files Firefox's installer creates set to winXP compatibility mode in KernelEX.) (You could be running into one of the Firefox DLL's needing to be in compatibility mode also, being the problem with Firefox not running right.) (make sure to use the downloaded install file not the online Firefox install.)

You didn't mention much about your computer setup, but system memory could also be a problem.

When asking about software problems if you list the hardware in your computer it makes it a lot easier to give you good information on the software problem.

AGP video cards can be set to take a lot of your system memory in the bios. Setting this value lower will free up more low memory for windows and while it "mite" slow video a bit. You won't notice the difference in most programs.

Tray apps can also use a lot of memory, try turning unneeded ones off.

Some anti-virus and firewall apps are memory hogs and better choices that use less system resources are available.

Anyway just a few ideas that mite help you.

I haven't heard if Xeno86 had found anyone to carry on work on KernalEX?

I am wondering if it would be possible to fix the win9x bug with out major programing work on file names with things like "? * / ..." or in other words non-dos characters?

This problem has been around for years, Netscape used to do it all the time.

More and more files end up having these naming errors from zip'ed, rar'ed files to things like saved web pages.

Since the file names can be made by these apps then the windows file system should be able to support them.

But windows 9X doesn't, you have to shell out to a dos prompt and play games to rename the critters.

Its just a royal pain to have to play games on one these files.

This also brings up another bug and that is path length, I'm sure this would be a big mess to fix though but it sure would be nice to have fixed also.

You didn't mention much about your computer setup, but system memory could also be a problem.

Update my first post with system specs.

I don't figure this is your problem, Its a bit to obvious, but I should have mentioned, you should check the options in Firefox options/content/load images automatically and make sure its checked.

Oh before I forget. Are you deleting the old windows and installing a new copy of windows or are you installing over an old copy? If your installing over an old copy you are probably not gona get rid of a corrupted windows registry, etc..

Also installing over an old version of Firefox could also be a problem. (You need to get rid of the main Firefox dir and the one under "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox") (You could zip your old version of Firefox's dirs from both locations to save bookmarks file, etc. And then copy the old bookmarks over the bookmarks file in the new version of Firefox once installed.)

If your not getting rid of the old Firefox some add-ons can disable images on a page, and some times add-ons conflict with each other or Firefox version and can cause weird problems in Firefox, start a safe mode Firefox to over ride add-ons, and see if the problem persists.

Also note even if you install the main Firefox app in a new dir the "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" will still be used and old add-ons will load in the new version of Firefox.

Have you tried to right click on the Firefox image placeholder, select view image, and see if you can view the image separate from the web page?

I read your post and looked up the MDCU patch, this critter is pretty extensive, I would try reinstalling windows and only install KernalEX and then try installing Firefox, and see if the problem persists, this could save you a lot of time if it is a compatibility issue between MDCU and KernelEX and your system.

Whenever you have graphics problems, even some that don't appear to be related, and you can't find anything else that caused the problem, you have to look at system RAM and the video card and video card drivers.

That 3.4Ghz CPU is pushing DDR400 PC3200 ram, you really should have DDR500 PC4000, but that can be hard to find. I picked up some on e-bay and they come up here and there. You could try setting your system bios for the ram at a slower speed or less aggressive timings.

I have read of a few problems on the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. I had one on an older slot one board with a socket 370 adapter card I used to play videos the card worked fine, but when I put in a bit newer 478 mother board the video card started doing weird things so I had to replace it with a bit newer ATI card I had.

Also every ones drivers whether they say the support this or that version of windows don't always work for every system or set of options, its best to try an older version driver when you have problems on an old version of windows and see if the problem gets fixed.

If these ideas don't help I'm sure someone on here will come up with a few more ideas you can try.