KernelEx 4.5.2

:hello:

A problem with Firefox 8.0.1  under KernelEx :

I can't bookmark any page !

Crash when closing the software but no problem to reopen... !

Do you experience that... ?

Thanks

Recently visited addresses, history and bookmarks don't work. Those issues aren't solved for Firefox 4+.    KernelEX Wiki   /   KernelEX Home

I don't know why Firefox 8.0.1 crashes when closing. I've tested only FF 8.0 and it doesn't  crash for me.

I don't see the purpose of KernelEx because it only aims to satisfy browsers. What about other apps? For instance, IPV6. What good is an updated browser once IPV6 comes into effect? Maybe your app would be more appealing if you aimed to please more than just a variety of "Browser" users.

I think you have basically missed the whole point of KernalEX and that is to keep an old system usable without spending a zillion dollars on a new version of windows.

KernalEX works with a wide and varied collection of software, it doesn't support everything, but it does support a hell of a lot of Apps that have basically dumped support for older operating systems. (some of the different software that works is listed right on the first page of this thread first page second post Everything that says fixed is working, if you go threw this whole thread you will see tons of apps, but what you really need to do is install KernalEx on your old windows 98/ME system and see what works, then if something doesn't work ask questions here and people can tell you how to do things.)

Even a lot of apps that say they support an older windows system will not work, So KernalEX is a much needed add on to help keep an older system working.

Perfection does not exist in the software world, sure there are some apps that don't work with KernalEX, but a lot of the problems I've seen are related to problems other than KernalEX, which is a hell of a lot more then you can say for most of microsofts patches.

As to the browser bit, well I think a lot more of that ends up on the KernalEX thread because those who update their browser at every new iteration are well to put it nicely not very computer literate and they think installing every new browser iteration is going to protect them from all the nasty critters running wild on the net, which they don't.

Most of the panic is caused by company's out to make money, who want people to install new browsers, so their new advertising works, that's why all the problems happened in the first place, company's installing "features" to force people to view advertising, this is what allows all the nasty bugs to infect computers in the first place.

The newest HTML5 flock has been so they can put more trackers on peoples computers, so they can target you with even more advertising.

As to IPV6 well that is more of a USA government push, so they will have an exact location for every internet connection world wide, if you read up on the critter its all about assigning a unique IP number to every single person and device world wide, not just an update of IPV4. And there is a IPV6 winsock for older systems, but as someone said any current router(built into most cable and DSL modems) can already do IPV4 to IPV6 translation, so you don't need IPV6 on your computer anyway.

I'm gona tell you something else, that's going to happen, unless people do some serious contacting of their representatives and get laws passed to make the net free and that is we will all get taxed directly for everything we do on the net, for each e-mail, for each picture, for every video clip, in short a tax on everything. They have been wanting to tax people directly for web use for a while now and tried to get a law threw in the USA, I think they have tried in England and I'm sure other places.

Back the the topic of this thread, KernalEX is a great product, even more so when you consider its free, it may have a few bugs but I haven't seen them on my two old computers.

That said, sure not everything works on it, but tell me a piece of a similar kind of software that everything works with it, I'll bet you can't find any.

The big company's can't make software that works on every machine, with every set of hardware, with every set of installed software, etc.

So why complain of free software that works pretty dang good at what it was designed to do.

The is only one thing I would like to see for KernalEX and that is better documentation, but I can't complain, doc's are time consuming, hell I have been thinking of weeding threw this thread and the other KernalEX thread and making my own set of docs by gleaning the needed info and pruning out all the rest but I've started a couple of times and just kina put it off.

Anyway I have rambeled a bit too much, but one final thought and that is ...

To commend Xeno86 again for all his many many many hours of hard work.

The crash on exit might be a problem introduced with 8.0.1. I've experienced the crash on exit with 9.0 beta, in XP compatibility mode. In Windows 2000 compatibility it doesn't crash on exit, but the taskbar button is missing and there's no SysTray icon either. I've already reported these issues somewhere above.

:hello:

A problem with Firefox 8.0.1  under KernelEx :

I can't bookmark any page !

Crash when closing the software but no problem to reopen... !

Do you experience that... ?

Thanks

Recently visited addresses, history and bookmarks don't work. Those issues aren't solved for Firefox 4+.    KernelEX Wiki   /   KernelEX Home

I don't know why Firefox 8.0.1 crashes when closing. I've tested only FF 8.0 and it doesn't  crash for me.

Thanks for the links :yes:

Wait and see...

Certainly a "bad" addon because Firefox does not crash with a blank profile !

Firefox 8.0.1 doesn't crash on exit for me.

Extensions: DownloadHelper 4.9.7

Plugins: DivX WebPlayer 1.0.0.0 ; GoogleEarth Plugin 1.0.0.1 ; Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.2980 ; Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.55 ; Shockwave for Director 11.5.0596 ;

Windows Media Player Plugin Dynamic link library 3.0.2.626

Win ME KernelEX 4.5.2 CPU Celeron 440

SpyderTV Colorimeter works well with KernelEx on Win98SE

:thumbup I just cheaply bought on eBay a used SpyderTV colorimeter made by Datacolor (formerly ColorVision?) for TV colour adjustment. The software that came with it was designed for Windows 2000 and XP only, so I want to report that it seems to works flawlessly with KernelEx 4.5.101 on my Win98SE. However said software is a really stupid yuppy toy for dummies, that is very wizard-based (stubborn like a C64 BASIC program), depends on screen tests from a DVD and solely wants to use brightness, contrast, color, tint and colour preset to adjust the TV set, i.e. you can not even do manual RGB or grey/white balance with it, despite these have become user-accessible standard features of modern flatscreens. Even worse, it wants to adjust my Nokia 417TV (a videophile CRT TV) way too dark (which is unlikely to be caused by Win98SE, but may be result of a nonlinear red channel in the video amp).

Colorimeters tend to be way overpriced by their claimed pro-appeal despite their hardware is simpler than an optical mouse. Thus the best thing is that the SpyderTV hardware is identical with the Spyder II colorimeter (moon-priced due to its non-toy monitor calibration software) and so can be used with the great open source ColorHCFR program (that also works with KernelEx) for serious applications. I yet only did a quick test, but it seems to do its job as it should. So do not pay moon prices for those self-proclaimed "professional" colorimeter software bundles. The cheapest novice variant does its job as well.

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler

For the Firefox bookmarks issue, there is rumor that PlainOldBookmarks PlainOldFavorites do work. Can any of you Firefox users please verify it?

As for splitting the Opera fonts discussion ito its own thread, would any of the proposers be so kind as to PM me a post list?

For the Firefox bookmarks issue, there is rumor that PlainOldBookmarks do work. Can any of you Firefox users please verify it?

PlainOldBookmarks which is actually called PlainOldFavorites appears to be incompatible with Firefox 8.

The very advanced Speed Dial extension for Firefox which works very well can be, to some extent, a (relatively) good substitute for the non-working bookmarks IMO.

Edited by loblo

I stand corrected. PlainOldFavorites it is! :)

I remembered reading about it somewhere, perhaps in this selfsame thread which is becoming really huge.

At the time, there was no follow up to that mention, and I thougt I might as well bring it back to the discussion.

I understand it does work with all versions up to 7, right? If so, it may still be a solution for many users.

I stand corrected. PlainOldFavorites it is! :)

I remembered reading about it somewhere, perhaps in this selfsame thread which is becoming really huge.

At the time, there was no follow up to that mention, and I thougt I might as well bring it back to the discussion.

I understand it does work with all versions up to 7, right? If so, it may still be a solution for many users.

I installed three Firefox versions 8.0.1, 7.0.1 and 6.0.2 to different folders. The attempt to install PlainOldFavorites with version 7 or 8 failed. After the successful installation of the addon with Firefox 6.0.2 PlainOldFavorites also works with versions 7 and 8. :thumbup

I haven't testet the workaround of Steven W to install PlainOldFavorites Experimental Firefox 7 topic.

Edited by schwups

I fired up Firefox 9.0 beta that I just installed on the 98SE machine and I noticed it doesn't create either a taskbar button or a SysTray icon. Meaning a minimized Firefox could run in the background without the owner knowing (or remembering) it. It'll only show up through Task Switcher (ALT-TAB).

Hey, I had that happen with one (perhaps two) apps some months ago. Don't remember the details or whether I mentioned about this somewhere. I'll try to remember the details, especially the fix, and add these here if I manage it.

Edit : Ah yes, here it is :

Joe.

Edited by jds

I installed three Firefox versions 8.0.1, 7.0.1 and 6.0.2 to different folders. The attempt to install PlainOldFavorites with version 7 or 8 failed. After the successful installation of the addon with Firefox 6.0.2 PlainOldFavorites also works with versions 7 and 8. :thumbup

I haven't testet the workaround of Steven W to install PlainOldFavorites Experimental Firefox 7 topic.

Thats great news! And Steven W's workaround ought to work for everyone, too, because it appears that what we have here is just an installer-imposed limitation.

You rock!

With Flash Player 11.1.102.55 installed, JMD streaming player (used by Amazon.co.jp for playing music samples) can't connect to server. But it works with Flash Player 10.3.183.11.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/halohalox/kernelex/flash11.jpg

In Windows 2000, it works with 11.1.102.55 and 10.3.183.11.

This could be a browser related problem. Try a newer different version of the browser you are currently using.

Dave

PS. Need some scripting help for AVZ realtime and Fortego ASE as per folder directory structure so that these run with KEX. ASE can read a scritped "event log emulator." Keep getting blank readings for files which don't exist on 98 SE.