KernelEx 4.5.2

... and that'd be as fun as scratching my head with a rake! No thanks... We're in a topic that tries to improve Win9x by adding "native" abilities where MS left off.
For the record, I doubt that running IE 8 or 9 can be called an ability. :ph34r:

Or, you know ;)', ability as in "I have the ability to shoot my own foot"

jaclaz

I hope we won't get involved in yet another flame war, but so far, I managed to get away without any viruses, spyware or anything similar, while still using an IE-based browser on a daily basis and staying connected to the Internet 24/7 without any antivirus or firewall. Not counting very early attempts at choosing the right browser (please note my very first browser was Netscape Navigator, at the time), 2011 was the year I first installed and started to use something other than SlimBrowser (which is IE-based) - namely K-Meleon and only because SlimBrowser started to crash MSHTML.DLL constantly on more and more sites (which may as well be my fault for installing system files that might not have been tested and proved working on a 9x system). This one is not much better, because it crashes my video driver for a change and must reboot the system to fix this, so I could count it as a downgrade.

The new Firefox 9 beta does work, but lacks the most important Bookmarks support; what is more irritating than that is the fact that upon exit (possibly due to some add-on inherited from Firefox 3.6), Firefox 9 wipes out all cookies stored by K-Meleon, so when I start the latter, I have to re-login to my daily sites, while usually K-Meleon keeps me logged in. As a single user with no concern about in-house privacy, this is a big deterrent.

So all in all, I'd say personally I might well cope with IE8+ on my system, given the possibility. But yes, I'm only speaking for myself as anyone else's experience may vary within large limits.

Proof of browser bugs: visible line break and other tags that had to be manually removed.

Edited by Drugwash

Do U have an email so we could donate via paypal? thank u so much for ur work and making my 9x computer last a wee bit longer x :wub::yes:

I think this is a great idea!

I don't have much money but I'd at least drop a little in the kitty and buy Xeno86 a 12 pack of beer or a case of pop for all he's done, its not enough but I can't afford to give him what its really worth.

If I had real money I'd toss him a couple of hundred grand just for keeping money out of that old robber baron Gate's pocket.

@Xeno86

I never suspected that this was due to KernelEx (4.5, 4.51):

Opening the window's file properties was accompanied by a leakage of GDI resources - which a was visible when you open the properties window for multiple files in succession.

Yesterday, having already installed version 4.52 KernelEx, with a positive surprise, I noticed that this leak is NO longer present!

Thank you! :D

@Xeno86

I never suspected that this was due to KernelEx (4.5, 4.51):

Opening the window's file properties was accompanied by a leakage of GDI resources - which a was visible when you open the properties window for multiple files in succession.

Yesterday, having already installed version 4.52 KernelEx, with a positive surprise, I noticed that this leak is NO longer present!

Thank you! :D

For me 12 Alpha 1105 works great, but the new 12 Alpha 1155 is wearing me out with heavily reported bugs -- everything from distorted GIFs to pages that squash when I open my email to 12 Alpha misreading pages. Even the devs are not happy with this Alpha. The big problem seems to be a few typos in some ini's! 12 v 1155 is faster.

Dave

One thing to take into account: DirectX. Yesterday I've reinstalled the unofficial DirectX June 2007 in a desperate attempt to find/fix the crashing video driver issue that keeps happening with K-Meleon.

After install and reboot, I started dxdiag. Kept waiting for a couple minutes but nothing showed up. Looking into running processes, I noticed dxdiag.exe and DxDllReg.exe (which was set to RunOnce after reboot). They both had KEx enabled by default, which got them stuck. I disabled KEx for both, killed the processes and relaunched DxDllReg and then dxdiag. This time the diagnostics window popped up promptly.

Therefore, I believe these two DirectX-related apps should be listed by default in KernelEx exceptions as "disabled".

So far, Kernel Ex has worked well on a virtual 98SE unit. The present version of SeaMonkey (2.4.1) runs but has a few issues. The "set as default" option doesn't work, asks every time. On the virtual system SeaMonkey will not save or import bookmarks. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem with my virtual system?

The present version of Kex seems to get along with the apps on my default system, including SSM and Tor. I'm holding off updating SeaMonkey for now. When I tried to add my usual complement of extensions to SeaMonkey on the virtual system, most would work with 2.4, including FlashBlock, Ghostery, and Better Privacy. Hopefully those who maintain the extensions can catch up to this ridiculous update cycle they're using now.

The present version of SeaMonkey (2.4.1) runs but has a few issues. The "set as default" option doesn't work, asks every time. On the virtual system SeaMonkey will not save or import bookmarks. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem with my virtual system?

As already mentioned the Firefox bookmarks and history issue also affects the current build of SeaMonkey and Palemoon as well as CometBird. However I don't have an issue with the "set as default" option, this works as it should here.

I don't see the purpose of KernelEx because it only aims to satisfy browsers. What about other apps? For instance, IPV6. What good is an updated browser once IPV6 comes into effect? Maybe your app would be more appealing if you aimed to please more than just a variety of "Browser" users.

Through the years, people have posted various apps that were able to install and run thanks to KernelEx and they were not all browsers: media players, image manipulating apps, document editors, etc. You just didn't bother to read the whole thread.

IPv6 pertains to the network section and has nothing to do whatsoever with the kernel. Therefore KernelEx cannot be held responsible for lack of IPv6 support. It does help with keeping a choice of browsers updated and working, should anyone take on the IPv6 support. For, what good is IPv6 access if no 9x browser can access the Internet?

Hello ,

Please , see  this  link

and tell me what you think about my problem  !

Thanks

Hallo foxitt,

try to restore kernel32.dll in the system folder manually  from the install media (setup disk).

Read following posts in this topic:

Kernel32.dll

If you use  Avast antivirus try to disable it for the KernelEX installation and for the restart. 

I also had this problem on one machine with KernelEX 4.5.2.  :hello:

Hello ,

Please , see  this  link

and tell me what you think about my problem  !

Thanks

Hallo foxitt,

try to restore kernel32.dll in the system folder manually  from the install media (setup disk).

Read following posts in this topic:

Kernel32.dll

If you use  Avast antivirus try to disable it for the KernelEX installation and for the restart. 

I also had this problem on one machine with KernelEX 4.5.2.  :hello:

Good idea... it works fine now :yes:

Thanks...