KernelEx 4.5.2

I've tested the PDF-XChange Viewer new version 2.5.197 (08.07.2011) successfully

Yes, I can confirm that too.

I just downloaded PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.197 portable and it works (opens PDFs) in KEx 4.5.1 Default Compatibility mode. Have either of you tried printing a doc? I seem to remember that was an issue in previous versions of PDF and KEx, and I don't have a printer to test with.

I can't print. I' ve tested it on two machines.

Have you tried? :

Joe.

Hallo jds,

now I've tried it. But I still can't print from PDF XChange Viewer. Three programs shows up in wintop or ProcessExplorer during printing from notepad (comp.mode Win2000):  LXBUPSWX.EXE, LXBUJSWX.EXE, LXBUCOMS.EXE  (I had set KernelEX comp.mode of them to disabled)

The printer is a Lexmark P6250. 

Hallo jds,

now I've tried it. But I still can't print from PDF XChange Viewer. Three programs shows up in wintop or ProcessExplorer during printing from notepad (comp.mode Win2000):  LXBUPSWX.EXE, LXBUJSWX.EXE, LXBUCOMS.EXE  (I had set KernelEX comp.mode of them to disabled)

What about KernelEx-enabled 'notepad'? Does that now print?

If so, then you've got your printer driver working with KernelEx and now need to figure out what is happening with PDF XChange Viewer specifically. Try the 'wintop' trick with that, and see if there's anything else being invoked that you may want to try KernelEx-disabling.

Joe.

I can confirm problems with KernelEx and SSM Free 2.0.8.583. I installed SSM several months ago and immediately started having various crashes and errors. I'm pretty sure they were associated with Explorer but I'll check my logs later to see. I was able to stop the errors by disabling KernelEx extensions for all SSM exe and dll files. I was running KernelEx RC 1 at the time. I meant to report the problem in this thread or herbalist's SSM thread but failed to do so. This post reminded me of the problem.

Just to confirm, you installed SSM free after Kernel EX? The conflict between SSM-free and KEX was fixed with the release of KEX 4.0RC1. On my PC, SSM files are using the default KEX settings, but SSM was installed first. Also SSM can lock up a system if it's not configured properly. If you set a password in SSM, it will automatically start with the UI disconnected and will deny any activity that you don't have rules to allow. If it prevents explorer from performing some tasks, that will lock up a system.

I'll have to set up a test unit to confirm it, but I'd suspect that installing SSM after KEX might be the problem. SSM has its hooks into almost everything that happens on a PC. KernelEX could have caused it to incorrectly integrate with the system. Will try to get an answer for you as soon as possible.

hebalist, you won't believe this one, but it's true. My SSM crashes were due to a bad monitor resolution setting.

Dave

hebalist, you won't believe this one, but it's true. My SSM crashes were due to a bad monitor resolution setting.

That's a new one on me. I never thought to look for such a problem, but then I rarely change resolutions. What resolution was the wrong one and what did you switch to? I'm not sure I even want to try to investigate that one without access to the actual PC. On my old HP which had built in ATI Rage graphics, changing the hardware acceleration level would change the autostarted programs. Above a certain level, an executable that was part of the graphics package was added to autostart. It's been a long time, but if I remember right, if that executable wasn't allowed to run, the PC became quite unstable. This is the only thing I've seen that comes close to what you're describing.

That's a new one on me. I never thought to look for such a problem, but then I rarely change resolutions. What resolution was the wrong one and what did you switch to? I'm not sure I even want to try to investigate that one without access to the actual PC. On my old HP which had built in ATI Rage graphics, changing the hardware acceleration level would change the autostarted programs. Above a certain level, an executable that was part of the graphics package was added to autostart. It's been a long time, but if I remember right, if that executable wasn't allowed to run, the PC became quite unstable. This is the only thing I've seen that comes close to what you're describing.

herbalist,

The res was 800 x 600 with a great many dead pixels. Looks like a monitor won't last even two decades, never that they would, but it was a favorite. Now it's a toaster. All those wiggly boarders ought have been a clue. I could scarcely see SSM to exit it. Well, perhaps I shall survive this loss.

Dave

Hallo jds,

now I've tried it. But I still can't print from PDF XChange Viewer. Three programs shows up in wintop or ProcessExplorer during printing from notepad (comp.mode Win2000): LXBUPSWX.EXE, LXBUJSWX.EXE, LXBUCOMS.EXE (I had set KernelEX comp.mode of them to disabled)

What about KernelEx-enabled 'notepad'? Does that now print?

If so, then you've got your printer driver working with KernelEx and now need to figure out what is happening with PDF XChange Viewer specifically. Try the 'wintop' trick with that, and see if there's anything else being invoked that you may want to try KernelEx-disabling.

Joe.

1. Of course, I can print from notepad with KernelEX enabled. That never was a problem for me.

2. PDF XChange Viewer: Wintop doesn't help. There isn't anything else invoked after I click print.

Error message:

post-266873-0-85948600-1317126568_thumb.

post-266873-0-96803600-1317126582_thumb.

post-266873-0-06257400-1317126597_thumb.

I can not open pdf files in the latest version 2.5.198 of the PDF XChangeViewer. Following error message appears:

Hey just a thought here but have you tried shutting off other apps, including tray apps like the message suggests?

Also have you tried updating direct x or using a different video card or different drivers?

1. Of course, I can print from notepad with KernelEX enabled. That never was a problem for me.

To make things clear, if you set 'notepad.exe' to W2000SP4-compatibility-mode for KernelEx, is it able to print?

Your use of the expression "of course" implies you have KernelEx installed, but haven't done any trickery with 'notepad.exe', because if you really do have a compatibility issue between KernelEx and your printer driver, then 'notepad.exe' won't be able to print in W2000SP4-compatibility mode.

Joe.

Edited by jds

I can not open pdf files in the latest version 2.5.198 of the PDF XChangeViewer. Following error message appears:

Hey just a thought here but have you tried shutting off other apps, including tray apps like the message suggests?

Also  have you tried updating direct x or using a different video card or different drivers?

Shutting down apps doesn't change anything. Version 2.5.197 works. Versions 2.5.198 and 2.5.199 don't open the pdf files.

To make things clear, if you set 'notepad.exe' to W2000SP4-compatibility-mode for KernelEx, is it able to print?

Your use of the expression "of course" implies you have KernelEx installed, but haven't done any trickery with 'notepad.exe', because if you really do have a compatibility issue between KernelEx and your printer driver, then 'notepad.exe' won't be able to print in W2000SP4-compatibility mode.

Joe.

I don't think I have a compatibility issue between KernelEx and the printer driver. It is the original Lexmark P6200series 98SE/ME driver. I 'm able to print with KernelEX comp. mode disabled, enabled and Win2000. Are you able to print from PDF XChangeViewer?

Edited by schwups

Also  have you tried updating direct x or using a different video card or different drivers?

Shutting down apps doesn't change anything. Version 2.5.197 works. Versions 2.5.198 and 2.5.199 don't open the pdf files.

It was just a thought, many times newer apps are larger and have more DLL's, etc. and sometimes just fail because there isn't enough resources to support them.

Anyway I just figured I'd mention it, so you don't go wasting time tracking down something that isn't broke.

I have this friend who's wife thinks she needs to load every stupid IM client, and a bunch of other background apps, and her problem almost always ends up being a problem with available resources when she gets a new app. I go over, shut down all the stuff that doesn't need to be loading, and everything works perfectly.

Also with most apps, any change that is just in the last portion of the version number, it is usually just minor bug fixes and not a major reworking.

Sorry to cause you a problem, its just the error was so explicit in that it said there was a resource problem I thought looking at conflicts and resource hogs mite get the bug fixed, but anyway just ignore my post(s).