KernelEx 4.5.2

I'm curious quist, In the Device Manager (Under Sound Devices), does USB Internet Phone show up as installed properly? If so, can you open a sound recording program, like Soundrec or Audacity and record your voice from the phone?

If you try this, you may have to select the device in the Volume Control.

Not USB Internet Phone, but it shows up as USB Audio Device...working properly.

Using Windows sound recorder (sndrec32.exe) and as you suggested, opening sndvol32.exe, the device Handset came up in the control. Ticking record shows an entry named Unknown, selected it and turned the volume up - hit record and the dial tone stopped, so I said "Watson come here" in the handset and could see it recording. Pushed play expecting to hear it through the comps speakers, duh...yes, it played back fine in the handset. So it would appear the drivers can handle it, but (as you probably know) without the program you can't dial.

You can hex-edit and change capGetDriverDiscriptionW to capGetDriverDiscriptionA and capCreateCaptureWindowW to capCreateCaptureWindowA and MagicJack will start but won't work properly (error connecting to servers).

Sorry folks, but I have just noticed that I am unable to print from web pages on either of my browsers I.E6 or Firefox 3.6.12

Would enabling Firefox and I.E to Windows 98 compatibility mode help in this issue?

EDIT,

I just tested I.E and set it to Windows 98 compatibility mode and it let me print pages, so that should work on FF hopefully.

Nope, no luck with that.

Edited by frogman

Pari_IT No, Firefox 3+ can't print, sorry. Do you have problems with printing from other apps with KernelEx?

Hi, I take it this is a KernelEx issue then?

I suppose I can just print using I.E as it seems to be ok with that particular browser.

You can hex-edit and change capGetDriverDiscriptionW to capGetDriverDiscriptionA and capCreateCaptureWindowW to capCreateCaptureWindowA and MagicJack will start but won't work properly (error connecting to servers).

I just tried that, coming out of dos after renaming my blackbox.exe shell wouldn't load, lol.

Btw, RC5 works great with Opera 10.63, which prints web stuff on an Epson w/ no prob.

I just tried that, coming out of dos after renaming my blackbox.exe shell wouldn't load, lol.

Btw, RC5 works great with Opera 10.63, which prints web stuff on an Epson w/ no prob.

Am I right in saying that printing web pages using Firefox 3.6.12 isn't possible whether KernelEx 4.5 RC 5 is installed or not?

My printer is an Epson Style Colour Printer 680

Does this look normal with those 2 drivers saying not installed?

printe10.jpg

Edited by frogman

I'm curious quist, In the Device Manager (Under Sound Devices), does USB Internet Phone show up as installed properly? If so, can you open a sound recording program, like Soundrec or Audacity and record your voice from the phone?

If you try this, you may have to select the device in the Volume Control.

Not USB Internet Phone, but it shows up as USB Audio Device...working properly.

Using Windows sound recorder (sndrec32.exe) and as you suggested, opening sndvol32.exe, the device Handset came up in the control. Ticking record shows an entry named Unknown, selected it and turned the volume up - hit record and the dial tone stopped, so I said "Watson come here" in the handset and could see it recording. Pushed play expecting to hear it through the comps speakers, duh...yes, it played back fine in the handset. So it would appear the drivers can handle it, but (as you probably know) without the program you can't dial.

Hmm, in addition to using the MJ software on XP I have been using the device to talk on Skype and X-lite. It's kind of convuluted, but I have set up X-lite with an free account from iptel.org and I've got a number from Ipkall.com. Sometimes, when I go to a friend's house, I forward the MJ to my IPKall number (which is set up with iptel) and can dial out using Google Voice. At my friend's house I just fire up X-lite and can get my calls. It doesn't always work perfectly, but usually does well. Of course the MJ isn't necessary for X-lite, but it is a convenience to use the cordless. So, if you can figure it out you might be able to do a similar setup on 98.

If you want help send me a private message. X-lite 4 has pretty heavy system requirements 2 or 3 would probably be better and, of course, there may be other IP phone software out there.

EDIT: I'm going to another friend's house who has my old 98 box. I'll take the MJ with me and see if I can get it to work with X-lite. I'll let you know.

Further EDIT: I plugged the device in and got some of the necessary drivers to install, enough that the audio functions. I did not get anything else to show up in explorer. I installed X-lite 3 and called a time and temperature number, smashing success. I also called my MJ left a voice-mail, and then retrieved it, again success.

I have a couple of minor issues, USB Phone by TigerJet is showing up under Network Devices as not installed properly. I have to use the device to listen to all audio, I'm trying to remember how to switch the default device under 98.

I'll try to find a good driver and switch the default device, but at least we know this can be done.

xlite.jpg

Even further edit: Duh, change the default device under Multimedia in the Control Panel. I give up on the driver, maybe some other day!

Edited by Steven W

Double-posting is not appreciated in forum, you know. Firefox 3.x won't print and will demonstrate unstable behavior whatever you do, period.

I take it that Firefox 3.x prints for compatible operating systems though? or it won't print for any system whether KernelEx 4.5 RC 5 is installed or not.

Edited by frogman

Guys, this is a thread about KernelEx, not one about I've installed a browser and messed up my html filetypes associations... :whistle:

:angel

Of course.

I was going to suggest that Frogman and I take it up on a new thread if it had continued any longer.

My apologies.

To get back to KernelEx, can I ask that the developers make it a priority now to get this new version actually made an official release, as soon as any regressions have been sorted out.

Trying to make more programs compatible with it before then will only result in it never being released.

New compatibilities can surely wait for the next version!

:)

To get back to KernelEx, can I ask that the developers make it a priority now to get this new version actually made an official release, as soon as any regressions have been sorted out.

Trying to make more programs compatible with it before then will only result in it never being released.

New compatibilities can surely wait for the next version!

That's my fault since i'm the feature-pusher. So far there are following release do-wants:

- Printer problems (not reproduceable)

- Flash problems (minor / no clue)

- AlphaBlend improvements

- setup improvements

- MSI compat db

- wiki

Edited by Tihiy

That's my fault since i'm the feature-pusher. So far there are following release do-wants:

- Printer problems (not reproduceable)

- Flash problems (minor / no clue)

- AlphaBlend improvements

- setup improvements

- MSI compat db

- wiki

I've been following the "printer problems" with some interest, as I use an Epson USB printer myself.

Are people trying to get XP or later only printer drivers to work in Windows 98 using KernelEx, or are they saying that drivers that are supposed to work under Windows 98 aren't now working because of KernelEx!?

My printer (Stylus Photo R285), supplied with Windows 98 compatible drivers, works fine, both before and after applying KernelEx.

:)