KernelEx 4.5.2

RC3 is not okay for me. When Lingoes is running, there is invalid page fault in KERNELEX.DLL whenever I do anything related to Explorer (e.g. move my mouse pointer over the Taskbar, press Windows+R to call the Run window, etc). Downgraded to RC1 solved the problem. Hope this can be fixed in next RC

I need your Windows version, Lingoes version, compatibility settings used by you, MFC42U.dll version

and most importantly Dr Watson crash log.

I haven't noticed the described behaviour with Lingoes 2.7.1 working under 98SE with 4.5 RC3.

1. My Windows is Simplified Chinese 98SE with RP 9.6.6. Lingoes is 2.7.1, compatibility set to XP SP2. MFC42U.dll is 6.02.8071.0

2. Failed to get Dr Watson crash log because the dumping process freezed

3. I have found a workaround to the "invalid page fault" problem: Keep closing the invalid page fault windows repeatedly until Explorer finally crashs and restarts. Then the Explorer runs normally with Lingoes

4. The "invalid page fault" problem also occurred when I tried to open some folders with Explorer (Lingoes was not running at that time)

5. Downgraded to RC1 for the time being

KernelEx 4.5 RC3 causes lot of GFX elements to be black in Gimp 2.2

First I thought it was caused by RP9 but after uninstalling it, things did not change... then I uninstalled KEX and everything was normal, after installing RP9 things remained OK aswell.

So far other than that, I have not had problems with KEX.

If needed I can provide some screenshots of the problem aswell.

EDIT: I installed KEX again and I started getting errors on WMIEXE, if I moved the mouse over something I got an error... I could navigate between folders ando pen programs, after clicking close on the error windows many times, and I could uninstall KEX then.

After reboot, shortcuts became ineffective and quicklaunch was gone. I had it before, and fix was to reinstall KEX and uninstall it, and when I reinstalled I still got the error. I did an install/uninstall with an older version and shortcuts became working again, and I had to manually enable quicklaunch...

Now I got another problem which prevents me from installing any version of KEX. ERROR: Disable_platform_check:pattern not found

:(

EDIT: I forgot one detial... one install of KEX failed, it gave an error that install failed, and thus I uninstalled it and tried again, at form nothing works.

EDIT: Seems I got KEX'ed KERNEL32.DLL in the system without DLL... I reverted it to KERNEL32.DLL form Win98 setup files, and now KEX install says it cannot open KERNEL32.BAK file, and suggests me to get the DLL from install media, so I copied the DLL to KEX dir in win folder and renamed it to the BAK hoping it works and I get the error I got before.

Kinda makes me think KEX thinks its still installed...... ?

Edited by TmEE

@CyberyogiCoWindler, RLoew, and all others involved, myself included: :)

It just dawned on me we were actively hijacking this thread, so I've decided to remedy this.

All relevant posts are now moved and incorporated to this other thread, where they fit best, and will be easier to find, instead of ending-up buried in a ton of KEx posts, as would inevitably happen here.

@Xeno86, and everybody trying to keep to the main subject of the present thread: Sorry for the (now solved) hijack! :yes:

EDIT: Seems I got KEX'ed KERNEL32.DLL in the system without DLL... I reverted it to KERNEL32.DLL form Win98 setup files, and now KEX install says it cannot open KERNEL32.BAK file, and suggests me to get the DLL from install media, so I copied the DLL to KEX dir in win folder and renamed it to the BAK hoping it works and I get the error I got before.

Kinda makes me think KEX thinks its still installed...... ?

If you delete KernelEx startup key in the registry it won't think it is still installed anymore as it won't try to load at all.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MPRServices\KernelEx

Well then KernelEx doesn't load if this key is not there. Are you still getting this error message? If so it is the KernelEx uninstaller and you should find its entry in one of the standard registry startup keys I guess.

Seems that KEX 4.5b1 and 4.5b2 allow me to install but they always say KEX install failed after reboot. Other versions of course don't let me install them...

EDIT: I'll do a virus scan, with MS-DOS part of Norton 2005...

EDIT: I don't not..

AND came out that the KERNEL32.DLL I extracted to C:\ got loaded instead what was in the SYSTEM folder, thus the fialure to install messages....

BUT other versions will still not install... beta 1 and 2 do though, currently I got beta 2 installed.

Edited by TmEE

i lucky enough to grab the Kex 4.5 RC3 before it got withdrawed.

i installed on my system {English 98SE, with 98SE2ME + NUSB 3.3 + RP 9.6.6} so far i haven't encountered any problem with it.

The RC3 still have the same behaviour as RC1 thats makes MAME spiting "Out of Memory!" exception error, regarless compatibly settings.

Downgrade to beta2 make MAME works, but obviously flash10 is not working with beta2, so i keep the RC3 instead.

I'd recommend removing RC3 and going back to something older... I had things work fine in the beginning (apart from the GIMP issue) but then all hell broke loose which I managed to partially solve for now.

...and I did not have viruses according to DOS NAV2005 :)

The RC3 still have the same behaviour as RC1 thats makes MAME spiting "Out of Memory!" exception error, regarless compatibly settings.

Downgrade to beta2 make MAME works, but obviously flash10 is not working with beta2, so i keep the RC3 instead.

Please tell us more on how to replicate this error. Also please try "Disable custom heap" compatibility mode.

Please tell us more on how to replicate this error. Also please try "Disable custom heap" compatibility mode.

i use the Mame Official Windows Binary Packages release from: http://mamedev.org/release.html

It also have link for source code, and link for a few roms test (just copy/move the downloaded rom in .zip form to roms directory).

To clarify per MSFN rule, respective Owner of that roms, gives their explicit permision for MameDev to host their roms images there.

i already try the "Disable Custom Heap" option as well any others in KernelEx compatibility settings tabs, none of it solve the Mame problem on RC1 / RC3 release, i got the same result.

To replicate the error simply try to run the MAMEPP.EXE

Should nothing goes wrong, Mame should give the list of random selection of available roms from roms directory.

However with RC1/RC3 i got ta Message saying "Out of Memory!", then exit the Mame.

Edited by Joseph_sw

Hi, I was woundering if anyone has tried Call Of Duty (any)?

I downloaded Call Of Duty 2 Demo because I remember playing it with a freind on the xbox, I was actualy looking for 3, but it loaded to a blamk screen after showing the picture and then exited, when I re-load it (With any kex option) it says it needs to go into safe mode but does the same process.

There are no messeges displayed.

Trev