KernelEx 4.5.2

Sorry, EvanD, but it's not a proof. I could show you exactly the same picture from my Firefox 3.5.11 (it means only that Java 6 update 21 was installed on your PC).

Have you tested Firefox 3.6.8 and Java on such sites?

http://www.javatester.org/ or http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

You're right, with Firefox 3.6.8 on javatester.org, the applet test fails. However, JRE u21 works on all the sites I normally go to including the Flash test which, from previous msfn.org discussions, I was led to believe requires some form of a java applet to work (isn't that why we uncheck "new java plugin?").

For IE6, JRE u21 does work. See figure. It does not work for Seamonkey 1.1.19.

I plan to keep JRE u21 for a while until I run in to a practical problem. When that happens, I'll revert back to u20.

Thanks for alerting me to try the direct Java applet test; at least I now know there's a potential problem lurking ahead. Is there something I should be wary of?

post-187374-128113356594_thumb.gif

You're right, with Firefox 3.6.8 on javatester.org, the applet test fails. However, JRE u21 works on all the sites I normally go to including the Flash test which, from previous msfn.org discussions, I was led to believe requires some form of a java applet to work (isn't that why we uncheck "new java plugin?").

For IE6, JRE u21 does work. See figure. It does not work for Seamonkey 1.1.19.

I plan to keep JRE u21 for a while until I run in to a practical problem. When that happens, I'll revert back to u20.

Thanks for alerting me to try the direct Java applet test; at least I now know there's a potential problem lurking ahead. Is there something I should be wary of?

That quite interesting: it means that latest Java could work on some sites (or not) with Firefox 3.6.8.

Yes, it's a right picture but because I do not using IE 6.0, it is a minor success IMO.

I would advice you, to try just much as possible various Java oriented sites.

Btw, have you checked http://www.pluginchecker.com/ mentioned by WIN98SE/schwups?

Edited by rainyd

KEX-4.5-RC1 is cool, regsvr32 now works properly for many .ocx/.dll,

for example: 'regsvr32 flash10h.ocx' now just simply works. :thumbup

however, this release also raises (std::bad_alloc &) exception error, that makes M.A.M.E decided to terminate its process.

Mame source-code: http://mamedev.org/release.html

i'm using MemeUI32 which is a Mame front-end that integrated with the main mame core: http://www.mameui.info/

the exception error doesn't happen if i fall back to KEX-4.5-Beta2.

codes from mame's machine.c

catch (std::bad_alloc &)
{
mame_printf_error("Out of memory!\n");
error = MAMERR_FATALERROR;
}

Mame gives me "Out of memory!" messages box error when i tried to run the roms, with Kex 4.5 RC1.

Well, after all that sturm und drang Alt+PrtSc worked! And this site let me upload a .jpg of the freecell game showing the corrupted display. The top left cell should be blank, but instead shows weird partial card images.

I found a pattern in the lockups: they occur when freecell tries to display a dialog box (select game, move column vs. move single card, etc.)

Dr. Watson log is at http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23706735/freecell.wlg

post-283483-128123625874_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mathwiz

Btw, have you checked http://www.pluginchecker.com/ mentioned by WIN98SE/schwups?

pluginchecker.com does not work for Java in Firefox 3.6.8. An example of Java that does work for me is: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?location=usct0094&animate=true. (You will have to wait for stormy weather to see the rain formations moving.)

Edited by EvanD

pluginchecker.com does not work for Java in Firefox 3.6.8. An example of Java that does work for me is: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?location=usct0094&animate=true. (You will have to wait for stormy weather to see the rain formations moving.)

That is not a Java-Applet, it is a Flash-Application,Applet...?.

Just Right-click on the map and you will see it.

Edited by WIN98SE

That is not a Java-Applet, it is a Flash-Application,Applet...?.

Just Right-click on the map and you will see it.

I did see it was a Flash but the website labels it a "Java Radar Loop." Apparently, pure Java applets will not work but Flash seems to interface OK with Java. As I recall, pure Java applets didn't work right with Firefox 3.6.x products even when I used JRE u20. (E.g., on http://ftl.flightview.com/fvFTlive/web/default.asp?aln=AC&acid=1&depdate=20100808&depap=YYZ&arrap=NRT.)

IE6 and Win 98SE do work with JRE u21 (See #700.) and I use the IE Tab add-on to switch Firefox to IE6 for the above URL. The interesting point here is that the Java applet problem appears to be germane to 98SE in conjunction with the Mozilla plug-in but not the IE6 plug-in.

Xeno86 said he'll look into the Firefox/JRE (#698) incompatibilities but he couldn't "promise a fix." I hope he succeeds but if he doesn't, IE Tab is at least a workaround.

FYI: WIN98SE, I decided to follow your instructions in #678 and use Firefox 3.5.11. It's a more elegant solution to the Java applet problem. Thanks for discovering it

Edited by EvanD

I'm using 98SE and KernelEx core 4.5.11. Firefox 3.6 works great, Shockwave 11 installed without a hitch, but for some reason, I cannot get Flash 10 to install on the machine.

I tried the registry edits first, and when I run with the extension disabled, I get the "expects a newer version of windows" message from the installer.

I have the version reported as 5.1 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion as previously suggested in the forum, and the CSDVersion in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows set to hex 200 for XP SP2.

When I execute in default mode, nothing happens (no error at all), and selecting XP SP2 in Compatibility tab exhibits the same behavior. The installer simply won't run. Flash 9 installs without issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by roadierfl

I'm running Win98se and after I installed unicows and kernelEx 4.5 RC 1 I was able to successfully install Flash 10, Shockwave 11 and any version of Firefox 3.xx or 4.0 beta though I prefer 3.5.11 since I have no problems using java 1.5.0_22 however my problem is I am not able to open up more then 1 desktop internet shortcut at a time as with the pre 3.xx versions unless I either drag & drop it onto the desktop Firefox link or send it to the main executable which is basically the same :-) I'm currently using a registry hack so that I can simulate this via my right click/context menu but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if they have come up with a fix? I have tried almost everything to get back this feature like reinstalling or changing the Tabs options, going into safe mode and or uninstalling a handful of extensions to no avail. Basically I would like to be able to open (as with 2.xx) without restriction as many desktop URL shortcuts through just double clicking them into their own windows.

... Basically I would like to be able to open (as with 2.xx) without restriction as many desktop URL shortcuts through just double clicking them into their own windows.

I speak from ignorance of FF3, being quite happy with FF2, but I wonder if it is the setting shown in the Tab Mix Plus add-on as Links | Open links from other applications in: | [New Window][New Tab][Current Tab]

That will put something into about:config but I haven't been exploring, so can't say what.

... Basically I would like to be able to open (as with 2.xx) without restriction as many desktop URL shortcuts through just double clicking them into their own windows.

I speak from ignorance of FF3, being quite happy with FF2, but I wonder if it is the setting shown in the Tab Mix Plus add-on as Links | Open links from other applications in: | [New Window][New Tab][Current Tab]

That will put something into about:config but I haven't been exploring, so can't say what.

Thanks! North of Watford though its a very dynamic add-on sadly it didn't allow me to open an external link, I even tried upgrading to 3.6 from 3.5.11 to use another add-on called "Restore Open_External" and that failed :-( I have copies of the registry to compare the FF2 and FF3 installs and there's nothing there that would suggest anything either so now I am going to compare the .ini and .js files from each install i.e. the pref.js as seen in about:config to see what gives... lastly I will try the latest FF beta to see if that will help.

Thanks! North of Watford though its a very dynamic add-on sadly it didn't allow me to open an external link, I even tried upgrading to 3.6 from 3.5.11 to use another add-on called "Restore Open_External" and that failed :-( I have copies of the registry to compare the FF2 and FF3 installs and there's nothing there that would suggest anything either so now I am going to compare the .ini and .js files from each install i.e. the pref.js as seen in about:config to see what gives... lastly I will try the latest FF beta to see if that will help.

For creating desktop shortcuts to web pages, I highly recommend the standalone version of Prism (Prism 1.0b4 available from http://prism.mozillalabs.com./ ). For more information on this Gecko-based browser, see my post 558 above.

I have an issue to report related to KernelEx 4.5 RC 1. I am unable to switch revolution pack skins when firefox (3.6.8) is running (RPConfig just does what appears to be initial resizing of controls before applying skin, and then just stops at that point and becomes unresponsive. I have to kill it in task manager). I tried to change skins in old fashion way using Appearance tab, but same thing happens. When I close firefox, both ways of switching skins are working properly.

There is also one other related thing. My own nightly ansi build of Code::Blocks refuses to start and it's entry in task manager just sits there indefinitely doing nothing until i kill it. This is also firefox related, as when i close firefox it can start just fine.

That behaviour did not happen in KernelEx 4.0 final2.

I have an issue to report related to KernelEx 4.5 RC 1. I am unable to switch revolution pack skins when firefox (3.6.8) is running (RPConfig just does what appears to be initial resizing of controls before applying skin, and then just stops at that point and becomes unresponsive.
After thorough investigation, we concluded it's a bug in Win98' user subsystem. It's not KernelEx/RP9 related. You can use user.exe/user32.dll from WinMe to fix it.