KernelEx 4.5.2

Interesting because in my case, works only method mentioned by WIN98SE (of course I have disabled next generation Java-plugin).

In fact, I haven't tried to install new version over previous one.

Btw, it's good to hear, that latest Java works with Firefox 3.6.8 (Moziila will end soon supporting Firefox 3.5.x).

It is really a bug of the new Java 6.21. It does not unregister the NextGenPlugin for Mozilla-Browsers correctly.

I tested it with Seamonkey 1.1.19 and Firefox 3.5.11

Maybe EvanD's NextGenPlugin was already "unregistered" before the update to 6.21.

I really do not have a clue how to unregister a Mozilla-plugin.

But I do not believe that Java works with Firefox 3.6.8.

I thought Firefox 3.6.8 only works with the NextGenJavaPlugin.

I tested it with http://pluginchecker.com/

Xeno

The direct link is the same file. If I disable KernelEX, I get the message about expecting a newer version of Windows. With the settings on the compatibility tab set to anything other than disabling KernelEX, nothing happens when I try to launch the installer, save a momentary cursor change to the hourglass. No error messages, no changes to anything. It's not System Safety Monitor blocking the process. This system has been stripped down, both with 98lite and by manually removing other files. I've probably removed something that it needs.

I have just checked FreeCell and Reversi on two systems. I can't replicate those problems on any of them.

Can you check if the problem is there with last stable release - KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 ?

Just checked. Both games run perfectly under KEX 4.0 Final 2. (Of course they run perfectly under KEX 4.5 for everyone but me) :huh:

Of course, now I have to uninstall 4.0, reinstall 4.5, start Dr. Watson, etc. :} Maybe tomorrow night.

2°) run last VLC 1.1.2: Not working

I'll look into that.

Thanks. :)

5°) I have the same problem with Maxthon that I had with new VLC 1.1.2

What is the version of Maxthon that you use.

What system, IE version.

Was this problem introduced in RC 1 or earlier?

Pentium III 500 MHz - 384 MB RAM

Win 98SE french - SP3.0 beta4 - MDIE6CU 3.4 - RP 9.6.5

Maxthon 1.6.5.18

(All versions are available here: http://dl.maxthon.cn/mx1/

No need to install, you can decompress (I use Universal Extractor) and run straight.)

Never had this problem before. Running just fine with KernelEx 4.5 beta2 (but no need of KernelEx to run with Win 98).

I have tried with an old version (MyIE2 0.9.27),

but it's the same: no glitch without RC1, incomplete shut off if a few tabs are open with RC1.

BTW, Newer version 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 of Maxthon doesn't launch (I mean even before RC1)

for the reason that it is giving an error:

Missing exportation SHELL32.DLL: SHBindToParent.

Is it possible to fix it with KernelEx ;) ?

Later EDIT: I have downgraded (after clean uninstall) to KernelEx 4.5 beta 2

with Flash Player 10.0.45.2 ActX and Plugin.

Maxthon has come back smooth and fine like I always was use to :whistle: .

Edited by CharlesF

I can't confirm EvanD that Java 1.6.21 works with Firefox 3.6.8.

It works up to Firefox 3.5.11 (and Opera 10.1), if I rename "new_plugin"

(see Member WIN98SE before).

The plugin checks fails with Version 3.6.8.!

pluginchecker.com / www.java.com/de/download/installed.jsp

Note: I don't allow the internet Connection to install Java.

In my post #680 the java JRE file is a standalone 15.3MB download from filehippo.com (links are in the post). When it installs, I get the "not-supported O/S warning" on a new Oracle (as opposed to Sun) dialog which I ignore and then go ahead and complete the install. The result in "about:plugins" is as shown. The paths and file names shown may be a clue to help.

Over the years, I've added all kinds of unofficial SPs and patches from MGDX.com so I can't tell you why my system works and yours doesn't. The stuff we do to our Win98SE and ME systems makes them all different. As a result, we're all dependent upon the gurus; e.g., Xeno86 and/or Tihiy for solutions to our problems. Regardless of whether they solve our individual problems or not, they've done wonderful work with KEX in keeping 98SE and ME existing as living O/S's. Whatever I'm able to make work from their efforts, I greatly appreciate while recognizing that there are limits to what they want to do or to what they're able to do. Kudos to them for everything they've done!

post-187374-128095845641_thumb.gif

Sorry, EvanD, but it's not a proof. I could show you exactly the same picture from my Firefox 3.5.11 (it means only that Java 6 update 21 was installed on your PC).

Have you tested Firefox 3.6.8 and Java on such sites?

http://www.javatester.org/ or http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Edited by rainyd

Hey,

the new flash (10.1) actually works, but i cannot change the soundvolume in firefox, SOMETIMES!

and VLC 1.1.2 works (only without RP9), but it just always adds the songs, or the radiostations i click on to the playlist (this is not enabled in the options) instead of starting a new playlist with the recent song on top...

Flash 10.0.45 and VLC 1.0.3 both are fully functional!!

VLC 1.1.2 works (only without RP9)

What do you mean?

Have you uninstall entirely the Revolutons Pack to get it work?

Flash 10.0.45 and VLC 1.0.3 both are fully functional!!

They were already fine with previous release 4.5 beta 2 ;)

Well, this kinda sucks:

The Win98 FreeCell solitaire game doesn't work with KernelEx 4.5 beta 2 or 4.5 RC 1.

I have just checked FreeCell and Reversi on two systems. I can't replicate those problems on any of them.

Can you check if the problem is there with last stable release - KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 ?

Both work fine under 4.0 final 2. But just to be thorough, I tried 4.5 beta 1. Freecell and Reversi experience the same problems (except F2 for new game works in Freecell).

Could you provide a DrWatson log with FreeCell running?

Here's what I did:

1. Started DrWatson
  2. Started FreeCell
  3. Selected Game / Select Game... from the menu (this always locks FreeCell up under KernelEx 4.5)
  4. Clicked the DrWatson icon and saved a snapshot (attached)
  5. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and ended FreeCell then shut DrWatson down
  6. Started Firefox to post this

Ugh. Site is telling me "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file". What's the best way to send it to you?

Can you make a screenshot of that display corruption?

Not sure the best way to do that in Win98. In WinXP which I use at work, I'd just hit Alt-PrtSc and it copies the active window to the clipboard.

Can someone recommend a free screenshot grabber for Win98? I'd hate to try a digital camera!

Alt + Print Screen works on 98SE, I use it all the time. Just have the window you want the image of selected, press the key combination, open something like Paint, and paste. Both Print Screen and Alt + Print Screen can be limited / impaired by some sort of resource limitations under various circumstances.

Queue

What do you mean?

Have you uninstall entirely the Revolutons Pack to get it work?

No I only didn't use RP9-themes. So only the "(classic)" theme works.

But instead of adding songs to the playlist and playing them, VLC adds them and restarts the playlist from the beginning...

...well everything around the graphics (in options and so on) works now...

AM I the only one with flash 10.1 problems, anyways???

Edited by FlippX

Supposably 98 is supports ALT+PRINT SCREEN according to this 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768168.aspx

however that doesn't appear to be the case the easiest thing to do is just take a screenshot normally with PRINT SCREEN

and then resize the screen shot with irfan view or some other image editor

Alt + Print Screen works on 98SE, I use it all the time. Just have the window you want the image of selected, press the key combination, open something like Paint, and paste. Both Print Screen and Alt + Print Screen can be limited / impaired by some sort of resource limitations under various circumstances.

Queue

Thanks guys. I couldn't get Alt-PrtScrn to work last night, so tonight I'll just try a regular Print Screen. If that works then I'll clip down the image. Hopefully MSFN.com will let me upload that, at least.

While I can confirm that it is not currently possible to change sound volume during video playback, I can't confirm any kind of distrotion.

Can it be heard on all videos and animations?

To be precise, it's rather some sort of noise (not very annoying) - mainly songs on YT.

As for now there is no way to run the "new generation" plugin on 9x, while I'm looking into the issue I can't promise to fix it fast as it requires major work (named pipes interprocess communication support).

I think, we don't expect miracle - KEx is an amazing piece of work and we are really grateful for it to you and Tihiy. :)