KernelEx 4.5.2

Xeno, great to see Release Candidate of KernelEx! :)

I must say, that changelog looks pretty impressive! :thumbup

Btw, special thanks for MPC-HC and VLC.

Edited by rainyd

After installing KernelEx 4.5 RC1 each time I run Windows 98 Second Edition (Polish version) I get the message: "Błąd przy uruchamianiu programu Uruchomienie pliku KEXBASEN.DLL jest niemożliwe. Sprawdź plik, aby rozpoznać problem." ("The kexbasen.dll cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem.")

post-293708-128066428618_thumb.jpg

There was no such an error in KernelEx 4.0 final2. I have the impression that KernelEx 4.5 works correctly, however, there may be a too small time limit?

I have a Pentium MMX 233 CPU, 128MB EDO RAM, KernelEx Core v4.5.11, kexbasen.dll file: version 4,5,1,1 / 4.5 RC1, 95,5kB (97 792).

Edited by egrabrych

After installing KernelEx 4.5 RC1 each time I run Windows 98 Second Edition (Polish version) I get the message

First of all I would try to uninstall any version you have installed and do a fresh install of KernelEx.

If that doesn't help, report back.

KernelEx v4.5 RC 1

Release announcement

Thanks Xeno86 for your work :thumbup !

My feedback:

1°) install KernelEx v4.5 RC 1 (after uninstall of previous version 4.5 beta 2):

so far so good :D

no bug or regression detected.

2°) run last VLC 1.1.2 (zip file, no installer, after I have deleted the %windir%\Application Data\vlc folder from old version):

Not working :no:

- program is launching

- menus are readable

but

- files are not running : I tried mp3, mp4 and wmv

- doesn't accept to change language of GUI

- shut off is broken: program stays in memory (I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to kill it), icon is still in the systray and I had a crash at reboot

3°) install Flash player 10.1.53.64 (ActiveX & Plugin, after uninstall of old versions):

- no need of any trick with registry, neither the

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

of Page 1, neither anyone else!

- twice are running smooth. :D Right versions are indicated in Adobe site.

- the Non-IE version is installed in %windir%\SYSTEM\Macromed\Flash,

and Opera had detected it at once.

4°) BTW, what is the use of the new "Disable custom heap" in the compatibility tab?

Later EDIT:

5°) I have the same problem with Maxthon that I had with new VLC 1.1.2:

if I have a few tabs open, it can freeze completely if I try to close all together, or it does not unload from memory when I shut it off, and I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to kill it. :(

Never had such problem before, but I can't say if it comes from new KernelEx or from Flash player 10.1.

2nd Edit:

I have tried to disable 'Hardware acceleration' in Flash settings, but it doesn't help.

3rd Edit:

New try after uninstall of Flash player 10.1

(only the ActiveX, for the reason that I have no bug with the plugin).

I thought to downgrade to last version 10.0

...but the problems are the same in Maxthon :angry: .

Edited by CharlesF

Well, this kinda sucks:

The Win98 FreeCell solitaire game doesn't work with KernelEx 4.5 beta 2 or 4.5 RC 1.

• Function keys do nothing
  • Display is corrupted when moving multiple cards
  • "Select game" menu option locks it up
  • Random lockups while playing
  • No crashes, therefore no drwatson log; sorry

And there's no compatibility tab on the Freecell.exe properties, so I can't just turn KernelEx off!

FreeCell runs fine if I uninstall KernelEx.

I realize a solitaire game isn't the biggest issue, but still :(

Well, this kinda sucks:

The Win98 FreeCell solitaire game doesn't work with KernelEx 4.5 beta 2 or 4.5 RC 1.

Sorry, I just tried here

and don't have such corruptions:

function keys, Display, "Select game" function are OK.

Freecell.exe version is 4.10.1998

And there's no compatibility tab on the Freecell.exe properties, so I can't just turn KernelEx off!

Me too.

Edited by CharlesF

Sorry, I just tried here

I have the same version. That's frustrating. :angry:

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the 'disabled by default' option - still doesn't work.

I also have a minor bug in Reversi (old 16-bit game): the cursor is supposed to change to a cross on squares that are legal moves. It does, but it gets "stuck" - it stays a cross everywhere on the board.

Both work properly if KernelEx is uninstalled. Everything else I've tried seems fine with KernelEx, including other solitaire games and Firefox 3.5.8.

I also have a minor bug in Reversi (old 16-bit game): the cursor is supposed to change to a cross on squares that are legal moves. It does, but it gets "stuck" - it stays a cross everywhere on the board.

Do you have a link for your Reversi, it's not a default game in Windows.

Well, this kinda sucks:

Sorry, I just tried here

Me too.

I thought there was meant to be a compatibility tab for all .exe files?

Why not in this case of Freecell.exe I wonder?

I think this is because it is 16bit exe, and Compatibility tab should appear for 32bit apps only. I thought KernelEx affects only 32bit apps...

RC1 installed smoothly on my computer (simplified Chinese Win98SE with RP 9.6.5) without uninstalling Beta 2. Everything works as before

eDrawings 2010 works now. Thank you

Arora still does not work (invalid page fault of qtwebkit4.dll)

I think this is because it is 16bit exe, and Compatibility tab should appear for 32bit apps only. I thought KernelEx affects only 32bit apps...

Not sure, maybe Xeno86 can confirm this.

So far, no problems with the latest version of KEX. Can't get Flash player plugin 10.1.53.64 to install. The installer doesn't seem to do anything at all. Tried uninstalling the old version, no change. Does the latest flash plugin work with the 1X versions of SeaMonkey?

So far, no problems with the latest version of KEX. Can't get Flash player plugin 10.1.53.64 to install. The installer doesn't seem to do anything at all. Tried uninstalling the old version, no change. Does the latest flash plugin work with the 1X versions of SeaMonkey?

You can install Flash Player 9, but use NPSWF32.dll from 10.1.

I can't get 10.1.53.64 to install due to an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll. But latest NPSWF32.dll works without problem.

You can install Flash Player 9, but use NPSWF32.dll from 10.1.

I can't get 10.1.53.64 to install due to an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll. But latest NPSWF32.dll works without problem.

Can I ask if you can get Google Street View to work using that driver on this KernelEx release?

I know there is a separate thread for the google street view problem, but I post this in relation to the new KernelEx.